Main Menu

...Why?

Started by SJFedor, August 31, 2012, 02:55:07 AM

SJFedor

This just made it's way across my facebook news feed.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

EMT-83

CAPR 77-1 has been repealed? Photoshop?

NCRblues

Because sometimes you just HAVE to run code... >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SJFedor

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 31, 2012, 02:58:38 AM
CAPR 77-1 has been repealed? Photoshop?

It was posted by a certain CAP Wing's official facebook page, which is what concerned me.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

a2capt

There are some people that will do whatever they want regardless. "It's my money, I can do it". There was (maybe still is?) one similar to that in Southern California that got nicknamed the Big Red Blister, but it had light bar, lights, siren, craptons of radio equipment, console computer, medic supplies, etc. Though the closest CAP anything on it was the Yosemite Call Sign. Where the agency vehicle ID would be on a typical livery.

If the thing came at you, it looked "legit", until you looked at it for more than a few seconds and realized .. "who's is that?" you can't tell. It had writing, logos, script, etc., in all the typical places.  But it told you nothing. The guy said he put $40K into the thing with a second mortgage to do it.

...Why?

SarDragon

I remember him. I helped do some of the mod work. Last I heard, the box had been removed, and was sitting on stands somewhere. Dunno the circumstances, though.

The light bar was all yellows, and not intended to be used underway. The siren was disabled. He was, at one point, a certified EMT, so the med supplies, limited as they were (mostly first aid stuff) were kinda legit.

The computer was a small form factor Shuttle, with a 12" touch screen. Three radios - 2 FM, and an airband. The GPS was an older Garmin, maybe late '90s vintage, but it worked.

It did make a nice rolling command post.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

That's the support vehicle for the WIWG MCC (Orca).  That's an old photo.  I'm 99% sure the red lights are gone.  The vehicle is a former crash rescue truck from a USAF fire department (hence the green color).

Quote from: CAPR 77-13-4. Vehicle Painting. Vehicles (except non-highway) will be painted white. Any COV not
painted white, shall remain its original color until it requires painting.
Repaint vehicles only when
required, not solely to comply with this regulation.

Paint is still in good condition, so it remains as is for now.

Why do we have it?  Because Orca is at its absolute max on weight, even after a frame reinforcement.  It can't tow a trailer, carry much equipment, or anything.  The Jolly Green Giant does that, and houses a generator in the back with work lights up top.  I'd like to get a bridge whacker on the front bumper soon, so it can drive in front of Orca and get a heads up on bridges that are too low.

a2capt

Bridge whacker ... doubles as half an HF antenna ... ;)

Critical AOA

OK, I've seen enough!  As a member of the air side of the operation, I now demand the new Cessna 182 JT-A with the Enforcer package. It's only fair. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 31, 2012, 01:23:57 PM
OK, I've seen enough!  As a member of the air side of the operation, I now demand the new Cessna 182 JT-A with the Enforcer package. It's only fair.

Your's costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Ours came fully equipped, free from DMRS. :-)

EMT-83

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 31, 2012, 10:15:58 PM
Here's your bridge whacker: http://giraffeg4.com

Works at a maximum speed of 35MPH, and must be manually activated within a minute of passing under the obstacle.  Doesn't thrill me, but good find.

EMT-83

I've been thinking about getting one for the motorhome. Right now they're on sale for $139.

PHall

You could do what we do at AT&T. We measure the vehicle and post the height in the cab so the driver can see it.
No guessing about how high you are.

We also carry a telescoping measuring stick that is marked out to 25 feet. If there's a doubt about clearance you stop, get out the stick and check it.

a2capt

Except that trees, abutments, and other oddball places that missions take us are not always labeled.
So, in an effort to save time, some kind of sensing device that takes the "get out of the vehicle" at every possible infraction would do us a little better than the telco SOP of pulling through, backing in, and getting out and measuring everything. Though I do pull through, and back in if at all possible. I don't drive tall stuff often, but when I do, I pay attention so I'm not one of those. ..

http://11foot8.com/

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on September 02, 2012, 06:57:56 PM
Except that trees, abutments, and other oddball places that missions take us are not always labeled.
So, in an effort to save time, some kind of sensing device that takes the "get out of the vehicle" at every possible infraction would do us a little better than the telco SOP of pulling through, backing in, and getting out and measuring everything. Though I do pull through, and back in if at all possible. I don't drive tall stuff often, but when I do, I pay attention so I'm not one of those. ..

Yeah, considering that I put my paycheck and my pension on the line everytime I get behind the wheel of my 11 feet - 4 inch tower truck.
Yes we do stop and check things out.

And since you're not running Code 3 in a CAP vehicle, you do have the time to stop and check things out.

The Form 78 you save may well be yours...

Eclipse

Many of the rider instructors in my program also do related work like driving cameramen for marathons, etc.

One year a very good rider, who was also an aspiring journalist / news person, was nearby when one of the camera bikes
got hit.  They transported the camera guy to the hospital, which left the remote truck with no driver.  She volunteered to
return it to the TV station and excitedly jumped in and drove off down the road...

...until she came to the first bridge and realized, quite abruptly, that the microwave mast was still cranked up...

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I once came upon an arched bridge in a national park that was marked as being 12' 2", and I'm 11' 11".

Two thoughts came to mind: where in the arch did the measure that bridge, and had they paved the road recently?

lordmonar

Quote from: SJFedor on August 31, 2012, 02:55:07 AM
This just made it's way across my facebook news feed.

Why not?  You got nothing better to do then ask stupid questions?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: a2capt on September 02, 2012, 06:57:56 PM

That is getting sent to my boss.  Fracking hilarious!

I drive a box truck for work and know of a few different occasions where coworkers have peeled the roof off like a can of sardines.  Not good when you have $30,000+ worth of furniture in the back...