OBC moving to eServices - open to start anytime?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 09, 2012, 03:44:41 PM

Майор Хаткевич

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/officer-basic-course/

Am I reading this right? Just have to wait another 11 days and I can simply start it on eServices?

jeders

It's all a part of the new Learning Management System which includes ICUT.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

In that case great!

Now to actually find an SLS course...

Walkman

Майор Хаткевич

Yes but there aren't any I can find. Our wing discourages online course.

Spaceman3750

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 10, 2012, 02:10:58 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 09, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
Our wing discourages online course.

Says who?

A conversation relayed to me when someone inquired about it. I can even see the point, I just don't see any coming up soon in the wing/surrounding wings.

Critical AOA

I did SLS & CLC in person but OBC online.  I enjoyed the interaction of the in person courses but the self-paced nature of the online OBC.  I think it is a good mix.  I don't believe that all should be on line.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PWK-GT

Says who?

The Wing Professional Development Officer.

And here is a sanitized snippet of the email sent:  "We have received notice that you have signed up for the waiting list for the online Squadron Leadership School (SLS) and I would like to discuss that application with you.

SLS / CLC is intended to be an in-residence course and is the preferred method.  Because the nature of this course is interactive learning, the knowledge you will acquire over that weekend training is amplified by the interaction you will have with the Instructors and your fellow students to help with your CAP career.

We do understand that some members have unusual circumstances which may prevent them from attending the traditional in-residence courses and we want to do everything to help you progress through the Professional Development program. For that reason, the Commander is willing to consider applications for the on-line courses on a case-by-case basis."

Emphasis mine.

When asked about other in-person offerings for the remainder of the year, they admitted none were on the calendar....and weren't even being talked about yet. Barring that, he was advised to pursue the online option by his CoC.
"Is it Friday yet"

Garibaldi

Quote from: PWK-GT on August 10, 2012, 04:05:38 AM

Says who?

The Wing Professional Development Officer.

And here is a sanitized snippet of the email sent:  "We have received notice that you have signed up for the waiting list for the online Squadron Leadership School (SLS) and I would like to discuss that application with you.

SLS / CLC is intended to be an in-residence course and is the preferred method.  Because the nature of this course is interactive learning, the knowledge you will acquire over that weekend training is amplified by the interaction you will have with the Instructors and your fellow students to help with your CAP career.

We do understand that some members have unusual circumstances which may prevent them from attending the traditional in-residence courses and we want to do everything to help you progress through the Professional Development program. For that reason, the Commander is willing to consider applications for the on-line courses on a case-by-case basis."

Emphasis mine.

Sounds to me like someone is afraid they'll lose their "job" if people stop going to actual classes and take on-line courses. Our wing is so widespread that the nearest unit to us is more than 55 miles away. Wing is 210 miles away. We are hosting a CLC in September and are doing both classes AND WebX (or however you spell that). If someone tried to "discourage" our members that way, there'd be a revolt.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PWK-GT

^ +1

In all fairness, as I haven't had time to peruse all the Wing policies / supps, I don't see this "policy" posted anywhere either.

Additionally, the affected member is in LE, working a LOT of nights and weekends...which legitimately skews his schedule for these things. But as he is an uber-engaged member, who just knocked out GTM3 (locally) and GTL (NESA) in the last 45 days, nobody can accuse him of being a slacker.

So we wait and see what the Wing CC says.....
"Is it Friday yet"

a2capt

The interesting thing here is that I'm sure NHQ put a lot of thought into the course curriculum that is offered online and realizes that until this point these weekend courses have been built around interaction among the peers. Something that isn't easy, if at all, to duplicate in the online environment. However also all along the correspondence distance learning option has always been there.

I'm guessing that they counted on it's reputation of being so "awful" that anyone would opt for a weekend to wrap it up if it were available to them. 

...and now from what I've heard, from those who've taken the course online, the reviews have been more positive than not, so now that the other option has been updated for the 21st century and updated content wise, they're suddenly "afraid", "leery", or whatever, of it? Were they doing the same thing if people signed up for the ECI course equiv.? Sending out letters guilting you into withdrawing from the course?

Is this the way the new registation works? You sign up, and then have to get approval, and not get approval beforehand? As it stands now, you only need approval from your unit CC and the course director (by virtue of accepting your application/CAPF/whatever) to take a class, and now this seems backwards. You sign up, and then your Wing PDO has the opportunity to dissuade you from continuing, in effect "disapproving" your attendance, when they were not involved in that loop at all prior to this.

That seems.. overreaching, un-necessary, counterproductive, micromanaging and .. nuts. To me.

Eclipse

There will most certainly be one more this year, at least, down South.  Otherwise, put one on the calendar up your way.

That is much preferable to the check box of an online situation.  There's certainly more then a few people who need it - you've got two in the same unit in this thread.

This isn't about people worried about losing their jobs, but CAP is not a correspondence course, and these PD situations are supposed to be conversational with your peers to understand, what is happening locally.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

My experience is the Wing CC is notified when a member signs up for on-line SLS or CLC, and is given the chance to nix it. Those emails are forwarded to me (DPD), just so I'm kept in the loop.

Our preference is that members attend a traditional classroom course, for the networking opportunities, but I can't imagine on-line participation being denied, unless there's something else funky going on with that person's membership.

Walkman

Yes but there aren't any I can find. Our wing discourages online course.

I ran into a similar issue when I was up for Captain. I was't able to attend an earlier Wing SLS because of work, and there weren't any other ones scheduled for that year. My TIG was coming close for the promotion. So my CC went up the chain and was able to get approval for our unit to host our own SLS. The Group CC offered his business office as a venue and we had a very successful and well attended class with students from all over the Wing.

Lesson: Good commanders take care of their people.

jjmalott

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 10, 2012, 01:03:55 PM
My experience is the Wing CC is notified when a member signs up for on-line SLS or CLC, and is given the chance to nix it. Those emails are forwarded to me (DPD), just so I'm kept in the loop.

Our preference is that members attend a traditional classroom course, for the networking opportunities, but I can't imagine on-line participation being denied, unless there's something else funky going on with that person's membership.

I'm an instructor for the on-line SLS and CLC.  I understand the preference of the traditional classroom.  But, if the thought is the online setup doesn't present any networking opportunities........I would argue otherwise. 

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

caphornbuckle

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 10, 2012, 02:14:21 AM

Says who?

A conversation relayed to me when someone inquired about it. I can even see the point, I just don't see any coming up soon in the wing/surrounding wings.

Indiana Wing is looking to host a PD weekend with SLS, CLC, & UCC.  This is all pending except for the CLC.  Looks like 3 November 2012 at the Anderson Preparatory Academy in Anderson, IN.

PM me for more info!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: caphornbuckle on August 10, 2012, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 10, 2012, 02:14:21 AM

Says who?

Indiana Wing is looking to host a PD weekend with SLS, CLC, & UCC.  This is all pending except for the CLC.  Looks like 3 November 2012 at the Anderson Preparatory Academy in Anderson, IN.

PM me for more info!

ARWG is having one in September. Our unit is hosting it and I THINK there's WebX involved for those distance learning types.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

MSG Mac

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 10, 2012, 01:03:55 PM

My preference is that SLS or CLC were held by each group in a Wing at least semi-annually. It's nice to say we'd prefer the classroom version, but if you're not having them why have that policy.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

In this case the wing traditionally runs 3-4 per year, including one in the home AOR of the member(s) being discussed, and they could light one up any time they wanted to.  With a new wing CC and a lot of new staff, including down through the units, the wing's been in transition and hasn't been advanced planning as much as they usually do, not an excuse, but certainly no need to start being concerned that people will not get their PD needs filled.  This is not one of those cases where the wing "hopefully" runs one per year.

Quote from: jjmalott on August 10, 2012, 02:24:38 PMI'm an instructor for the on-line SLS and CLC.  I understand the preference of the traditional classroom.  But, if the thought is the online setup doesn't present any networking opportunities........I would argue otherwise.

Chatting online is not "networking" in the sense that has value - other than random chance, the participants won't know each other or even be in the same wing.  The valuable networking is commanders and staff from the same area discussing specific challenges that they might be able to solve together because they are sharing the same resources and people.

Further, easily 1/3 or more of the value of SLS / CLS is discussing policies, procedures, impediments and wives tales that exist within a wing and explaining them or dispelling them.  That's 1/3 of the whole point that literally cannot be done online at the national level.

Then there's the "effort" aspect - getting up, getting dressed, rearranging your life a bit is part of the "game" - you show up and are put in the mindset of doing CAP business, focused on CAP, and hopefully sequestered for a few hours - a lot different then sitting in your bathrobe with the kids making noise behind you while you update Facebook on another window.

"That Others May Zoom"