Camera with Integrated GPS, or GPS option?

Started by a2capt, July 01, 2012, 06:14:09 PM

a2capt

I'm kinda wanting a newer camera since the Nikon 5700 I'm using is starting to show some age in performance.

... my important aspects are:

Minimum 8X optical zoom. Preferred more.
Minimum 12 megapixel.
GPS and compass, either integrated or optional. (optional seems friendlier on the battery)
Ability to tether to a host computer, or upload when in range of a network/computer.

I understand there's cards that can do some of that tethering now, and GPS, interestingly, some consumer models have it, but the optical zoom lags on them. Others have a port and a GPS module can be stuck in the shoe. Using a module, I can get a decent DSLR similar to the 5700 I have, and have the GPS ability..

CAP has had the D5000's for CD and similar missions, which has been superseded by the D5100 and perhaps more now. didn't see much mention about GPS compatibility there.

For pocket-ability, the Nikon AW100 pretty much nails the feature set except in zoom, and isn't a DSLR, but not a bad all around whatever camera. The competition's similar models have less optical zoom, but otherwise are comparable.

Eclipse

I've got a 5700 as well, and the issue is whether to invest in new batteries of look for a new camera.

Woot!  had one the other day with a 26x optical lens and 16Mp for about $140 (but not the advance features you mention).

Other then the optical zoom, most smartphones and tablets have either integrated or app-on for the GPS and compass integration.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yeah, and I just bought a few more batteries because of PCR cadet competition, Hawaii Encampment, and NCC, and didn't wanna mess with battery life. But the thing being limited to 1GB of storage, though still a lot with regards to a 5MP platform, if I want to use RAW it fills faster.

The other thought I had was just the next inline that uses the same batteries and other stuff, it's 8MP, and has 8X zoom, I think it's the 8700. I won't toss the 5700 aside, it's still got use, though if not uses the batteries do go stale. 

Several years back, the CCD imager abruptly quit on the 5700 and a year later I noticed an extended service bulletin from Nikon saying they'd repair any camera regardless of warranty status, it had been a couple years out of warranty by then. I sent it in and when it came back, it was even better than it was before I sent it. Quieter, more vibrant photos, etc, and has been going strong since.

Sony put out defective CCD imagers and I had four different brand products that all died with a few months of each other. Of Canon, Nikon, Samsung and Goldstar.  Nikon was the best to deal with, they owned up and fixed it. Canon need some prodding and took them 3 times to get it right, and it's still not right, but I gave up. Scratched them from the list of ever buying anything from again.  Samsung and Goldstar? Gladly the devices were not my purchases, since their answer was basically "pound rice". Even though Sony covered their obligations to the industry.

I've seen some of those things on Woot! and they are fairly attractive just to have a camera in the car.. but.. I hate stuff that takes the photo after you push the button. Most of that falls in that category. It's challenging to get a still shot.

Eclipse

I need to check out that service bulletin.  Is that 1GB limitation a software issue?  I've got 512 chips so it's never come up.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yeah, the 1GB is software. I found out because back when I got a 4GB MicroDrive, as Wing had supplied the camera with a 1GB MicroDrive back then, and I thought 4GB would be better. OTOH, turned out it didn't work. Looks like 1GB is the limit, as I recall trying a 2GB card without success, of course the 4GB didn't work either. No firmware has been issued for anything more.

The service bulletin was early 2006, and I did get some cameras repaired in the 2009 timeframe on the same deal, having scored them for dirt cheap because they were broken :)

I've also found, while shooting, as you know it puts 200 images in a directory and then increments the directory number. NIKON100, 101, 102, etc. 

If i'm shooting in series and the card fills up, and I just want to empty it but retain the series, I just empty the directories,  after copying the ones that have 200 in them and leave the last one there, until next time, when it has 200 in it. So when I move them to the computer, I don't have to rename directories. I'll end up with up to NIKON115 on the computer, from an activity that now has 2500 images.

When that's all done, I'll just nuke the empties and let it start over at NIKON100

Eclipse

I think I have mine set to sequential numbering - I don't recall having the issue with being named "Nikon".

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

If you like  the Nikon 5700, the Nikon P510 is probably the closest.  It's not cheap, but not as much as a full SLR.  I have no personal experience with it, but it is the same basic form factor, gps enabled, 42x optical zoom and even does HD video.

I've only got two negative points about it - the viewfinder is digital, which means it doesn't perfectly match what it's going to take a picture of.  And I cannot stand the index finger zoom switch, it takes me about four times longer to settle on my image.  That's personal preference, if it works for you, then it works. 

Pylon

If I recall correctly, there was an aftermarket device available that was a GPS receiver which would connect to Nikon and/or Canon DSLR cameras through the hot shoe and embed the GPS data into each image's EXIF data.  Might also be worth looking into.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

a2capt

Yes, that was one of the things I was talking about, Easytag comes to mind, I think that's what Nikon's GPS module is called, for cameras about 2 years ago.

42X Optical.. okay, thats.. just cool. Overall, I'm happy with Nikon as a brand. I've had it with Canon, though prosumer stuff may be different. But their consumer stuff is just crap anymore. Fleece over Function.

I think most of the Nikons are digital viewfinders, and one of the issues I'm having now too is the LCD is getting dim, backlight wise. Giving me fits with lighting. It used to be pretty close to the final product, now it's hard to tell.

If that P510 is tetherable.. Hmmm..

denverpilot

Sony SLT-A55 has a built in GPS. Sony can't decide if they're keeping the feature or not in the recent cameras of the same line. Some others have it, some don't.

And WMIRS completely ignores the Sony GPS EXIF data anyway. Still have to put it in manually.

I post-process through Aperture which can rename the files with date/time stamp, but only in 12 hour format. Still makes the manual entry easier. Just read the filename.

Placing stuff on a map in any other post-process tools is cake with Sony's format, just not WMIRS.

Most of the time one also has to drop the resolution down prior to upload on any camera capable of shooting RAW at high megapixel numbers on reasonable "airport" bandwidths. Airports around here are lucky to have 1Mb/s upload speeds. Most are 256Kb/s or 512Kb/s if they have anything at all.

And 3G/4G cellular modems don't work outside of cities most of the time around here.

I like the A55 but I need better glass for it. The stock lenses are okay, but not stellar. Problem is, I only justified the thing for airshow and outdoor shooting just barely, and CAP kinda pushed it over the edge. Family member has an A77 and that's a significantly better body in many ways.

I need about three more days a week if I ever expect to get real use out of the thing. Although I did shoot over 2000 shots at Oshkosh last year. First time I ever overheated the stabilization system and shut the camera down. ;)

denverpilot

p.s. No tethering on the A55. Have been considering picking up an EyeFi and experimenting.

a2capt

The 42X zoom is just too inviting.. the Sony has 5X.  I'm after something in the 20X range, if I had a choice now of a compass function over zoom, and I can't be sure on the P510. Nikon says nothing about a compass function, a the reviews are indecisive. Some say yes, others say no. Seems screwy that the AW100 has a "better" GPS and specifically says compass function, and it's a cheaper, less functional item.

How's the GPS? The reviews give it crap performance, though with an Eye-Fi, you can use wifi locating. I wonder if the Eye-Fi would do it only if the camera didn't, or it would over-ride it.

A local place has two instant rebates in effect for the P510 at the moment, putting the shelf price at $319, about $80 less than the rest. Though it would be taxed, it's still an overall savings of $80 since the other rebate about equals the tax.

I'm fixated on the GPS and compass function, however in reality, right now what I have .. has none of that. I suppose in a year from now when Nikon gets it's act together with feedback on this one and updates it .. I could unload it and get another. Batteries are relatively cheap on eBay, with the typical charger bundle for around $11 with two batteries, same kind of charger that everything else is, with a different sled on it. Probably just modify the others, too. ;-) The camera itself has no charger as a separate item, requiring you to tie up the camera so that needs to get taken care of right away. 

Eclipse

The GPS indicates location of the camera, not the field of view, correct?  Then the compass would display the direction shooting?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Correct. Where the camera is standing, and then the heading of the lens would be the compass data.

Oh would the other be pure voodoo .. ;)

sardak

I have a Sony with built in GPS and compass. There is free generic software (not camera specific) that will plot the camera's location, draw an azimuth line and the field of view in Google Earth. The software is on a different computer so I don't have the name of it right now.

Mike

sardak

starshippe

if u r considering using the cam for missions that require geotagging, i offer the following....

altho i have heard good reviews of the on board gps, our experience is that the gps is a bit iffy. on our last photo op, we were able to pull victory from the jaws of defeat because we had also taken along a garmin foretrex 401, and were able to pull the gpx log file out of it for geotagging the pics. also, i like having the capability of pulling out a gpx log file for flight reviews using google earth or street atlas.

with the foretrex 401, u can set it up to record ur position every so often or every so far. an auto selection is also available which increases sampling frequency if ur not driving in a straight line, but i much prefer an interval of every 2 seconds or so. this should give u over five hours of logging.

we have had some trouble by not having the camera time synched. i ask my aircrews to make a tight circle around a target, which, when played back using streetmap, eliminates any question of where its located. i agree, the cam time should be within 5 secs or so.

it goes without saying that a complete set of spare batteries and a spare data card should always be carried, so i'm not going to mention it.

altho i usually use a canon with an image stabilized telephoto lens, i recently took a panasonic lumix camera (thank u woot) on vacation in peru and bolivia, and found the capability of taking hi res video, with stereo audio, most useful. i put a 32 gig card in it and was not able to fill it up in 3 weeks. it can take a 64 gig card. it does image stabilization in software and has a 16x telephoto lens, which pretty well matches the canon's telephoto at 300 mm. so far, i can not find a log file to extract. it has a built in gps but does not stay locked on well when i am driving.

i carried the foretrex on my belt and have a minute by minute log of the entire three weeks.

bill

denverpilot

With the recent missions here suddenly being required to use Corporate owned camera gear, it might be wise to not spend $800-$1000 on personal gear.

Just sayin'... unless you just enjoy your toys.

If I knew that change was coming down the pike, I'd probably have bought a cheaper camera if any at all, since I had a decent but not stellar camera already, and put that $1000 toward an IFR GPS for my co-owned 182.

I love shooting with the Sony for personal stuff, so it's not a complete loss.  Now that I have it, one of these days I will grab at least a 500mm zoom for it. With a cropped sensor setup, that's a monster zoom of effectively close to what a 750mm lens would have effectively done on an old-school 35mm SLR.

That'll be nice at airshows and planespotting on the ground...

But it appears that for many real missions, the Corporate cameras are front and center now. Or, having been around the block a few times, I should say, "for the moment"...