Main Menu

C/FO

Started by abdsp51, June 23, 2012, 11:07:59 PM

abdsp51

Anyone know when the grade system for cadets changed?  I am wondering about the addition of C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt and the deletion of C/FO and the gold pip?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 23, 2012, 11:07:59 PM
Anyone know when the grade system for cadets changed?  I am wondering about the addition of C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt and the deletion of C/FO and the gold pip?
Well I can tell you when it didn't exist:  1965 to 1970, as a C/1Lt (and C/2Lt with Mitchell first) and a Senior member Warrant Officer (WO).
RM   

coudano

I think that happened at the same time the added the Feik and made the WBA a milestone, right?
So that should have been April 1 2003 right?

No it was not an april fools joke :)

caphornbuckle

I think it changed in roughly 2002 or 2003.

It also changed the promotions for cadets during that period.  When they installed the Feik Award and made the Wright Brothers an Achievement Award.  If I remember, those who were between Sergeant and Master Sergeant in the old system earned a free promotion to the next grade in the new system.  C/FO left at this time as well and all Mitchells earned C/2nd Lt.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

jimmydeanno

It happened late '99 early '00.  I earned my Mitchell in Jan '99, got promoted to C/FO, started working through the achievements, and by the time I actually earned the promotion to C/2d Lt, my peers who did no work towards C/2d Lt got promoted at the same time.  The Feik Award was added later, but the C/Sgt was removed at the same time as C/FO.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt_Redfox30

When I joined in 1999 I was told to cross out the C/FO grade in the leadership book as it had just been removed and my squadron had the first C/CMSGT in the Wing, the Wing Commander came and visited personally to award it to him.  That was 1999 because I joined in August and I just got my uniform, so it was around Oct/Nov time frame. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

MinnViking08

The switch was 01 August 1999.

My Mitchell was issued on 29 July 1999 and my Unit Commander gave me the option of staying a C/FO or waiting until August 1 to send in the paperwork to go directly to C/2d Lt

Abby.L

Quote from: MinnViking08 on June 24, 2012, 02:59:46 AM

My Mitchell was issued on 29 July 1999 and my Unit Commander gave me the option of staying a C/FO or waiting until August 1 to send in the paperwork to go directly to C/2d Lt

Which one did you choose, sir?
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ol'fido

I was never a c/FO. I was a c/WO. Don' remember when the switch was made. Just know I had a lot of fun as a gold pip.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MinnViking08

Quote from: Levilockling on June 24, 2012, 08:19:20 AM
Quote from: MinnViking08 on June 24, 2012, 02:59:46 AM

Which one did you choose, sir?

I opted for C/FO so I like to say that I was probably the last C/FO of CAP

Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2012, 12:55:35 PM
I was never a c/FO. I was a c/WO. Don' remember when the switch was made. Just know I had a lot of fun as a gold pip.

Me too but I wanted to go from c/wo to c/2lt fast because of the cool shoulder boards!  I was a c/wo in 1977 or 78...

ßτε

Quote from: 754837 on June 24, 2012, 09:04:21 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2012, 12:55:35 PM

Me too but I wanted to go from c/wo to c/2lt fast because of the cool shoulder boards!  I was a c/wo in 1977 or 78...
I remember that. C/WO wore grade insignia on the collar of the light-blue shirt while C/2Lt and higher used shoulder boards.

caphornbuckle

I keep getting blocked from looking at this but I found this about the changes of the NCO grades.

I'm at work and they don't allow this type of website so it is not because of any issues that I know of.

Anyone willing to give it a try and let me know if it's what everyone is looking for?

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/44878101/Cadet-Programs-CADET-PROGRAM-MANAGEMENT

Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

abdsp51

Thanks guys.  I want to impart a little bit of history on the cadets of my unit.  PLenty of folks look at me funny when they see the bars especially after I tell them my membership # starts with  a 1. 

We had one of our cadets visiting from West Point and the look on his face when our C/CC mentioned that was priceless.  I have taken in and shown one of the last remaining gold pips of  mine and I plan on taking in my rack one night. 

I wasn't sure when the change happened as I let my former membership expire in 98.

GroundHawg

I just found a set of my miniature gold pips cleaning out the garage the other day. Made me smile :)

I too am a LT with a '1' to start my CAP ID.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 26, 2012, 03:06:42 PM
I too am a LT with a '1' to start my CAP ID.

It's not that uncommon.

SarDragon

OK, here's the deal on CAPIDs.

If you were a member before the change from SSNs to CAPIDs, at the transition you got a six digit CAPID starting with 1, based on your position in a list of members in SSAN order. These went up to about 145xxx. Then there's a gap. The new members who joined after the transition have CAPIDs starting with 15XXXX.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Proud member of the 359XXX!

Just checked and some of the newest members in our unit are 516XXX.

a2capt

With me sitting at 331XXX, when I saw the 145's, I thought.. "wow, that's half.. " now, the newest to be added to our unit yesterday just cracked 5170XX. Pretty soon it will be double what I was.

SarDragon

Don't forget that the first 99999 numbers weren't used. In fact, the first number used appears to be 100100.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

From what I can tell, anyone who was a member in early June 1994 was assigned a CAPID number. The lowest appears to be 100000, still in use today. It looks like they started with senior members with numbering up to 14**** and continuing with cadets to 17****, and then went sequentially starting in June 1994. I don't think there were any gaps.

SarDragon

I did some surfing around in eServices a while back, and came up with the numbers I posted.

Just checked again, and the lowest current number is 100014, and all three members in the 10001x group are in NHWG.

There are some thousand number gaps around 1492xx, 1494xx, 1495xx, 1496xx, and 1497xx. The sequence starts again at 1498xx. There is another gap at 1500xx. They seem to continue regularly after that.

Based on my membership card collection, the changeover came on 1 Jan 2001.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

Dave: your chronology seems about right.  I joined in 93 and when my number was changed to a CAPID, it was in the 103XXX range: I assume because my SSN begins with 191.  Can;'t remember what my CAPID was, but I can remember my Army serial number: assigned in June 1957.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

That just threw more crap in the game. Your SSAN is higher than mine, but your CAPID is lower. My most recent join date is Apr '87.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

My CAPID starts with 229, and my SSN starts with 012.  I joined in '97 and was converted from the SSN version to a CAPID.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MSG Mac

Mine starts with 02 and CAP ID is 101***
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

I dunno.

I thought I had it mostly fangered out, and then I see all the outliers here.

Oh, well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 27, 2012, 03:44:55 AM
My CAPID starts with 229, and my SSN starts with 012.  I joined in '97 and was converted from the SSN version to a CAPID.
Since you joined after 1994, your CAPID was assigned sequentially by join date and was not based on your SSN.

It looks like from 1994 to 2000, the CAPID was used internally at NHQ and not used on membership cards or membership reports.

SarDragon

Quote from: ßτε on June 27, 2012, 05:07:35 AM
Since you joined after 1994, your CAPID was assigned sequentially by join date and was not based on your SSN.

It looks like from 1994 to 2000, the CAPID was used internally at NHQ and not used on membership cards or membership reports.

What do you have from that time frame that has the CAPID?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: SarDragon on June 27, 2012, 05:20:18 AM
Quote from: ßτε on June 27, 2012, 05:07:35 AM

What do you have from that time frame that has the CAPID?
I don't have anything from that era using the CAPID. What I have done is researched and found that for members with join dates starting in June 1994, CAPID numbers are sequential based on join date.

That is why I suppose that from 1994 to 2000, it was only used internally in the national database and not actually used on anything given to members or units.

MinnViking08

I joined in 1997 My SSN starts with 234 this was when we still used the CAPSN and it was our Soc Sec Number. When they changed to CAPID my CAPID starts with 230

bosshawk

I think that this thread has, once again, surfaced the strong impression that some of the things that CAP National Hq does do not make sense.

Continue to march.  How do we change this to a uniform thread?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Got it. And that set of digits started where?

Looking at the 100xxx numbers, they mostly all belong to folks from NER, with the obvious exceptions of people who have moved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

I initially joined Nov 94 and my membership lapsed in 98 and I rejoined this year.  It's funny when i get looked at when people learn my membership # starts with a 1 most of the the folks in ky unit who have a 1 or something like that are SMs either a Maj or LtCol.

Ned

When I first turned to the Dark Side in 1976, I declined to provide CAP with my SSN and was assigned a CAPID that was simply my six digit cadet serial number preceded by three zeros. 

I was able to keep it that way for several years until provision of SSN became mandatory with the onset of our CPP and the old Cadet Leader cards.  (Yes, I'm a certified 'leader'.  It says so on this card!")

At some point they assigned me a CAPID, 145xxx.

I'm really getting old . . .

BillB

Ned
   Don't feel old, including a cadet ID, I've had five serial numbers.
Dave since you listed yours here's my SN's

C41-320 (I don't believe there were only 319 cadets in Florida Wing before I joined)
SM  4-1-5716
SSN
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on June 27, 2012, 05:34:32 PM
Ned
   Don't feel old, including a cadet ID, I've had five serial numbers.

Now I don't feel so bad. I've only had 4.

Olde cadet # - C-22-10171
New cadet # - 519522
SSAN when I turned SM
Current # - 106xxx
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: Ned on June 27, 2012, 04:04:01 PM
When I first turned to the Dark Side in 1976, I declined to provide CAP with my SSN and was assigned a CAPID that was simply my six digit cadet serial number preceded by three zeros. 

I was able to keep it that way for several years until provision of SSN became mandatory with the onset of our CPP and the old Cadet Leader cards.  (Yes, I'm a certified 'leader'.  It says so on this card!")

Ned ...

You think YOU'RE getting old?  My CAPID is 115xxx.

And I was out for 12 years before rejoining ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 27, 2012, 09:40:09 PM
Quote from: Ned on June 27, 2012, 04:04:01 PM

Ned ...

You think YOU'RE getting old?  My CAPID is 115xxx.

And I was out for 12 years before rejoining ...

Jack

I am one of the only few that actually has a CAPID whose first 3 numbers match our unit number: 115. People still comment on it when they see it. My OLD CAPID from 1981 started with 796.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

BuckeyeDEJ

Huh. My cadet number, issued in 1984, was 000914475. Then, as I was gearing up to go to college, I had to get a Social Security number, so I converted my CAPSN to that number.

And then my CAPID came along -- starting with 113. It has nothing but 1s and 3s in it, which is funny, since my lucky number is 13.

My SSN has nothing to do with it, as it starts with 234. (Guess the state in which it was issued.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

cap235629

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 25, 2012, 05:00:22 AM
Huh. My cadet number, issued in 1984, was 000914475. Then, as I was gearing up to go to college, I had to get a Social Security number, so I converted my CAPSN to that number.

And then my CAPID came along -- starting with 113. It has nothing but 1s and 3s in it, which is funny, since my lucky number is 13.

My SSN has nothing to do with it, as it starts with 234. (Guess the state in which it was issued.)

West Virginia....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: cap235629 on December 25, 2012, 06:27:19 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 25, 2012, 05:00:22 AM

West Virginia....

We have a winner. Native Ohioan, just happened to be in West Virginia at the time.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

N7MOG

Well, I must have missed out.  I was a cadet with a 656xxx CAPSN in 1968-1973.  I transitioned to SM when I joined the USMC, but don't remember when my original SN went away. Nat'l has no record "that far back".  I have my Mitchell certificate, but they weren't numbered.  Now I have 341xxx.
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

SarDragon

Quote from: N7MOG on December 28, 2012, 05:56:11 PM
Well, I must have missed out.  I was a cadet with a 656xxx CAPSN in 1968-1973.  I transitioned to SM when I joined the USMC, but don't remember when my original SN went away. Nat'l has no record "that far back".  I have my Mitchell certificate, but they weren't numbered.  Now I have 341xxx.

You didn't miss out on anything. Back then, cadet CAPSNs were from a different set of numbers than the SMs. When you turned SM, you got a different CAPSN - your SSAN.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

saleet

I joined in May of 1960.  my Cadet SN was C-33-3439.

Jaison009

1999ish. I earned my Mitchell late 1998 and was a C/FO.

TexasCadet

I know I'm bumping this thread, but I have a question. What did a C/FO do? Obviously, C/NCOs were flight sergeants and the like, and C/officers did officer stuff, but I can't think of what a C/FO might have done.

MIKE

Functionally they were no different than a C/2d Lt.  The Leadership 2000 text might have hinted at the grade as an officer in training.  Also note that at the time the C/NCO grades ended at C/MSgt with the Doolittle and Goddard achievements.
Mike Johnston

SARDOC

ol'fido

Perhaps we should start the Order of the Gold Pip. Less exclusive than the Spaatz Association but more fun. Something like Mensa vs. the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on December 02, 2013, 12:58:36 AM
Perhaps we should start the Order of the Gold Pip. Less exclusive than the Spaatz Association but more fun. Something like Mensa vs. the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.

I resemble that remark.  ;)

Quote from: SARDOC on December 02, 2013, 12:44:01 AM
106XXX

1069xx
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jaison009

Typically the golden pip was when we became flight commanders. As Mike noted we did not have past C/MSgt. You typically were flight commander until C/1LT and then you started working on staff. I became XO as a C/1LT, Cadet Commander as C/Capt, rotated out to Dept. Cadet Commander as C/Maj-C/LTCol to allow other officers to gain experience as XO and CC, attend additional encampments as staff, focus on Eaker and Spaatz, and then I moved to a smaller squadron in MO that I helped found where I was Cadet Commander again.

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 01, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
I know I'm bumping this thread, but I have a question. What did a C/FO do? Obviously, C/NCOs were flight sergeants and the like, and C/officers did officer stuff, but I can't think of what a C/FO might have done.

ol'fido

Quote from: SarDragon on December 02, 2013, 01:04:26 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on December 02, 2013, 12:58:36 AM

I resemble that remark.  ;)

Quote from: SARDOC on December 02, 2013, 12:44:01 AM
106XXX

1069xx
For some reason, I picture that scene from the Great Santini where the Marines(Gold Pippers) bust into the Navy(Spaatz Assoc.) Dance and Santini uses the clam chowder to pretend to throw up.

The Great Santini - the soup incident

BuckeyeDEJ

Remember that the grade of cadet warrant officer/cadet flight officer was commensurate with the Gen. Billy Mitchell Award. Pretty much whatever goes with the Mitchell starts now with the grade of cadet second lieutenant. A cadet flight officer was still a cadet officer, just with a gold moonpie.

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on June 26, 2012, 11:41:57 PM
With me sitting at 331XXX, when I saw the 145's, I thought.. "wow, that's half.. " now, the newest to be added to our unit yesterday just cracked 5170XX. Pretty soon it will be double what I was.

How about C-9114951?

PHall

Quote from: Grumpy on November 24, 2014, 04:30:15 AM

How about C-9114951?

Or 691508?

LATORRECA

Quote from: MIKE on December 01, 2013, 08:34:30 PM
Functionally they were no different than a C/2d Lt.  The Leadership 2000 text might have hinted at the grade as an officer in training.  Also note that at the time the C/NCO grades ended at C/MSgt with the Doolittle and Goddard achievements.

I was a c/FO back when when it was the transition of the program before leadership 2000. It was no difference, just when we got in trouble, It was more political. I wonder, if I still have any of my gold pins and my old IDs around my house in PR. I like to know my old members ID number.

Those were the days between 1993-97.

What was explained to me was that C/FO was a transitional rank from were you learn to be a officer and then you where full officer after couple of test. A lot of people got stock there due to the SDA's.

catrulz

This has probably been answered, but In 1999 the C/SMSGT and C/CMSGT grades were added.   At that time cadets had a choice to go directly to Mitchell from C/MSGT or they could opt to promote through the two extra grades.  We had two cadets in the same grade that took opposing courses.  They both ended up as Earhart C/Capt. 

I was a cadet back in 1977-79 and seemed like it was C/WO back then.  But that could be poor memory.

THRAWN

Always reminded me of the "probationary, supernumerary and temporary third lieutenant". You were kind of an officer, but still had the latitude to royally foul up.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Grumpy

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2014, 04:35:14 AM

How about C-9114951?

Wow Phil, if that was your cadet ID, you're older than I am.

Or 691508?

Grumpy

Quote from: saleet on January 20, 2013, 01:51:13 AM
I joined in May of 1960.  my Cadet SN was C-33-3439.

I joined in 1959, a year before you.  I wonder how they were breaking down the cadet ID numbers.  Yours is smaller than mine and broken up. Mine wasn't broken up.

Grumpy

Quote from: Jaison009 on December 02, 2013, 01:30:27 AM
Typically the golden pip was when we became flight commanders. As Mike noted we did not have past C/MSgt. You typically were flight commander until C/1LT and then you started working on staff. I became XO as a C/1LT, Cadet Commander as C/Capt, rotated out to Dept. Cadet Commander as C/Maj-C/LTCol to allow other officers to gain experience as XO and CC, attend additional encampments as staff, focus on Eaker and Spaatz, and then I moved to a smaller squadron in MO that I helped found where I was Cadet Commander again.

What would you think if they changed the insignia of rank for c/2nd Lt and Major to the color gold. It wouldn't change any of the training or the rank.  It would simply have the cadet rank insignia more closely resemble the military and senior member ranks. "They" already have gold pips and diamonds available for cadets.

Just wondering.  I'll go back to sleep now.

Eclipse

I would think VG's revenue missed a quarterly mark.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Grumpy on November 24, 2014, 05:36:27 PM

What would you think if they changed the insignia of rank for c/2nd Lt and Major to the color gold. It wouldn't change any of the training or the rank.  It would simply have the cadet rank insignia more closely resemble the military and senior member ranks. "They" already have gold pips and diamonds available for cadets.

That's not necessary. The reason the 2d Lt and Maj insignias are gold is to differentiate them with the 1st Lt and Lt Col insignias, which are silver. That's a not an issue with our cadet insignias as they're all different.

Grumpy

I know reason for the silver and gold. I was just thinking along the lines of esthetics and to more closely resemble the military.  No big thing.

PHall

Quote from: Grumpy on November 24, 2014, 05:04:34 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2014, 04:35:14 AM

How about C-9114951?

Wow Phil, if that was your cadet ID, you're older than I am.

Or 691508?

Yep, that's my olde cadet ID. Issued in Dec 1969!

Jaison009

While there are some who might agree, I think this would be even more confusing to folks. All Army and Marine JROTC programs use the same rank structure for their officers and it is a historical tie to our history as Army Air Corps. Since JROTC came into effect in 1916, my guess is that we built our ranks off of them and available insignia. I have heard older former cadet members recall when their ranks were shiny metal (which if true to me would indicate that JROTC/ROTC insignia was most likely used in the early days of the program. Gold diamonds were also discussed for a Cadet/Brig Gen role). I think historically it would be a disservice to all of the C/WO, C/FO, and those who for a brief moment were awarded gold diamonds.

Quote from: Grumpy on November 24, 2014, 05:36:27 PM

ColonelJack

Quote from: Jaison009 on November 25, 2014, 02:35:28 AM
While there are some who might agree, I think this would be even more confusing to folks. All Army and Marine JROTC programs use the same rank structure for their officers and it is a historical tie to our history as Army Air Corps. Since JROTC came into effect in 1916, my guess is that we built our ranks off of them and available insignia. I have heard older former cadet members recall when their ranks were shiny metal (which if true to me would indicate that JROTC/ROTC insignia was most likely used in the early days of the program. Gold diamonds were also discussed for a Cadet/Brig Gen role). I think historically it would be a disservice to all of the C/WO, C/FO, and those who for a brief moment were awarded gold diamonds.

The Chicago Public Schools' JROTC program has two cadets who hold the grade of Cadet Brigadier General ... they use four diamonds for it.  (Even if it's an AFJROTC cadet.  Should it be a Navy JROTC cadet, they use the same insignia but call it Cadet Rear Admiral.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

wacapgh

Quote from: catrulz on November 24, 2014, 04:01:39 PM
I was a cadet back in 1977-79 and seemed like it was C/WO back then.  But that could be poor memory.

And, you could not wear the shoulder boards until reaching 2LT. Probably was a factor in the "you're not really an officer yet" mentality.

SarDragon

Quote from: wacapgh on November 26, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

And, you could not wear the shoulder boards until reaching 2LT. Probably was a factor in the "you're not really an officer yet" mentality.

BTDT. Disappointing. I was among the first C/WOs in NJWG.

It did eventually change to where C/WOs could wear the shoulder boards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

Cadet Warrant Officer was created in 1968.  It was changed from C/WO to Cadet Flight Officer in 1984.  In 1998, the C/FO was removed. 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 24, 2014, 02:31:49 AM
Remember that the grade of cadet warrant officer/cadet flight officer was commensurate with the Gen. Billy Mitchell Award. Pretty much whatever goes with the Mitchell starts now with the grade of cadet second lieutenant. A cadet flight officer was still a cadet officer, just with a gold moonpie.

Bumping this to say "Not always."

Between 1965 and 1968, Mitchell Award earned promotion to.....Cadet Master Sergeant. In order to make Cadet 2nd Lieutenant, the cadet had to complete the first achievement of Phase III.

In practice, that rarely happened. In the time between submitting for the Mitchell and actually receiving it, most cadets ending Phase II charged right in and completed the first Phase III achievement. The net result looked like the cadet received the Mitchell and became a cadet officer all at the same time. But I knew 2-3 guys who dragged their feet, got the Mitchell and 6 stripes, then got Cadet 2nd Lieutenant a few weeks later.

This all changed in 1968. Cadet Warrant Officer came about specifically to tie Mitchell to cadet officer.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Brad

A good look-through of the Winter Command Council minutes shows that there is discussion to eliminate Flight Officer ranks for those in that gray area before the big gray area ;)
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

AirAux

Strange, I joined this time in 9/1979, my ID is 1250..  My wife joined in 4/1989 and her ID is 1255..  Our last names are different so that shouldn't have had anything to do with it.  I was a senior member for a year in Kansas in 1969 or 70.  I was a cadet in Wisconsin for a couple of years in 62-64.  House burned down after that and I have no idea as to what my serial number was.  I went to encampment as a cadet at Chanute AFB.  You wouldn't believe the number of different uniforms that I have worn in CAP, starting with the lovely Khaki's. 

SarDragon

Regarding CAPIDs, here's just about everything you might want to know:

OK, here's one older thread discussing CAPIDs. Go down to post #16, and start reading. Sorry, circular reference. It's the thread we're in now. Post #16 is where the good stuff starts.

Another.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Funny story. At our meeting we were debriefing on the new cadet protection policy, and the unit CC asked for my CAPID to enter our having participated. All of us had been around in the 80s as cadets, and out of reflex I almost recited my first non-SSAN ID number. We all had a little chuckle about being able to remember THAT and not other important and relevant information...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

I still remember my first CAPSN as a cadet from 50 years ago, but can't tell you what I had for dinner on Monday.

C-22-10171
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ExCadetwithCOP

I joined as a cadet in 1956.  Two cadet Serial Numbers:  C83-12-57249 (C because I was a cadet, 83 because it was Colorado Wing, 12 because it was Denver Squadron 12, 57 because I joined in November of 56 and my membership was processed in 57, and a number assigned by Colorado Wing - perhaps I was the 249th cadet to join that year - have no idea.  This cadet Serial Number was reduced to C83-249 at some point during my cadet membership (it was an accident that I received the same last three numbers).  When I turned senior member, I was assigned 10057147.  This number came from National and joining members received numbers (in order), which made it somewhat easy to figure out if I joined before someone else.  I do not know if re-joining members could get their "old" serial number back.   In order for this number to "fit" into social security blocks, a leading zero was added and my number became 010057147.  I had this for years and used it with ECI enrollment courses.  I fought the change to the SSN tooth and nail until my membership was threatened, when I gave in.  My CAPSN is now 139***.  One of the reasons for the change to SSN numbers was because of ECI enrollments, which I already had circumvented because they accepted my 0100*** SN.  To this day I really resent CAP using my SSN number, posting it in travel orders, on the wall, at various region conference and national conferences that I attended via military airlift.  While I remember the first four serial numbers, I cannot get the last one into my head.  Either it is age or the idea that it won't last and I'll get another one.  I'm a 50 year member, earned my COP as a cadet and GRW in 1983.