Interested in Joining CAP

Started by resqccemt, April 25, 2012, 06:49:18 PM

resqccemt

I have been checking out the message boards  and researching CAP manuals for a while. I have 19 years of experience working in fire, ems, and emergency services including technical rescue and SAR. At this point in my life I would like to get back into volunteering and giving back  and grateful for what my career has given me. Current job requirements keep me on the go  but I can make time for CAP. The history and missions of this organization are incredible. I want to make the commitment, but I am reluctant because all of the negative posts about politics and  uniforms( I have my own opinion).. Every organization has gripes .... that is how it is.. I would like to hear from some seasoned senior members and what drives them. My interests are using my skills that I have accrued to benefit CAP. If  I joined it would be a second career...

johnnyb47

Welcome to the forums!
I would suggest that you find and visit a couple of local squadrons to see what they are all about and to make sure you are a good fit for eachother.
I found our squadron 2 years ago after visiting with 2 other locals and found this one to be exactly what I was looking for and they needed exactly what I had to offer.
Once you have a "job" and some of the training and direction you need to get going you can find yourself VERY happy at the squadron level for a very long time.
Most of the politics talk you read is up the chain a bit. As long as you can avoid getting suckered into a Wing you'll avoid/be oblivious to most of it. :)

Good luck finding a home! Feel free to ask if you ever need any "how do I, where do I" type questions answered.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vento

Thanks for your interest. Best course of action is to visit a few local squadron and get a feel for things that we do. Every squadron is different. In many squadrons, you won't even see politics or uniform issues.

The best part about volunteering for CAP is that you give the organization what you can, unlike most volunteer firefighters, there is no minimum nor maximum hours per month for CAP.

resqccemt

Thank you for responding. I have checked out the squadrons in my area... The one closest to me is open to senior members... It is a composite.  My interest is in emergency services, communications and safety. I am not only interested in ground team but as a mission scanner and observer as well.  I would like to look at all aspects of CAP that I fit. .. I understand there are no minimum hours, however I wish to put my best into the organization. I have look at all the pamphlets and checklists  and know what I need to do...

resqccemt

Open to input as well from everyone...

johnnyb47

The big question then is how active is that local unit in ES? Do they have or have easy access to a corporate owned aircraft?
You can get scanner/observer training throughout the group/wing but it is OH SO HANDY to have access to it right at the squadron level.
As for safety.... well it's good that you are interested in it. We have lots of safety training.... LOTS. :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EMT-83

Quote from: resqccemt on April 25, 2012, 06:49:18 PM
I have been checking out the message boards  and researching CAP manuals for a while. I have 19 years of experience working in fire, ems, and emergency services including technical rescue and SAR. At this point in my life I would like to get back into volunteering and giving back  and grateful for what my career has given me. Current job requirements keep me on the go  but I can make time for CAP. The history and missions of this organization are incredible. I want to make the commitment, but I am reluctant because all of the negative posts about politics and  uniforms( I have my own opinion).. Every organization has gripes .... that is how it is.. I would like to hear from some seasoned senior members and what drives them. My interests are using my skills that I have accrued to benefit CAP. If  I joined it would be a second career...

Don't believe for a minute that the discussions here about uniforms and politics resemble anything that you will encounter in real life, especially as a new member.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 26, 2012, 01:27:50 AM
Quote from: resqccemt on April 25, 2012, 06:49:18 PM

To add to that...

People who come HERE, typically discuss things that don't come up at unit meetings. This is where members come outside of a CAP meeting/activity to get a dose of CAP when they want. At times this is the bleeding edge of discussion on things. At times it's the most up to date information, gossip, concepts, ideas, etc.

Take it at face value as the discussion of a FEW members nationwide (and some non-members) which do not reflect what may be happening at the unit level.

Don't believe for a minute that the discussions here about uniforms and politics resemble anything that you will encounter in real life, especially as a new member.

resqccemt

Thanks for the advice... I look forward to getting involved.. CAP has been something I have been interested in for a few years. This squadron is good sized with a lot of members. I have taken some time to go through he training requirements and education.. Its exciting.. In any organization, you are going to have the gossip and criticism. People have to remember they are there to serve, and why we have chosen service.

Private Investigator

Quote from: resqccemt on April 25, 2012, 08:14:26 PM
Thank you for responding. I have checked out the squadrons in my area... The one closest to me is open to senior members... It is a composite.  My interest is in emergency services, communications and safety. I am not only interested in ground team but as a mission scanner and observer as well.  I would like to look at all aspects of CAP that I fit. .. I understand there are no minimum hours, however I wish to put my best into the organization. I have look at all the pamphlets and checklists  and know what I need to do...

Do visit three Squadrons if possible and see what is the best fit. Some Squadrons get out and really do ES, actual missions & training, flying, Ground Teams and UDF. Other Squadrons will train but never do an actual mission and then others are just a "flying club".

resqccemt

I have found 4 squadrons... the ones outside my closest squadron are a little more than an hour away, however I would be able to attend more meeting nights a month. Is there any issues with response times to the squadron building?

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: resqccemt on May 13, 2012, 10:20:37 AM
I have found 4 squadrons... the ones outside my closest squadron are a little more than an hour away, however I would be able to attend more meeting nights a month. Is there any issues with response times to the squadron building?

I am not an "expert" and I did not sleep at a holiday Inn last night, but I have never been subjected to an alert time to show time requirement for any real or practice mission. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

a2capt

OTOH- if you're an hour plus a few, away, you're not totally outside of the normal amount, but rarely does a unit HQ have anything to do with a response to a mission alert aside from an aircraft, at a meeting location, that is at an airport. If you're an hour away, depending on the rest of the circumstances, I'd say someone else will beat you there ... but could be doing pre-flight and mission prep in the meantime, before briefing the rest that arrive later, just before launch.

In fact, in 10 years of CAP, I can't remember once going to the unit location with regards to an ES mission response, and for me, it's only 3 miles to the front door.

RADIOMAN015

For prospective members

Unfortunately, with CAP in many squadrons there isn't consistent/effective programs that cover the cadet/senior cross over missions of Emergency Services & Aerospace Education.  Surely the challenge at every unit is getting talented (ideally experienced on the technical issues) and motivated adult members that are willing to work on either one of these programs.

So for the prospective member, just because you are just joining doesn't mean that you can't be VERY productive right from start (meaning you've completed level I, which should take you only 1 to 2 weeks if you are motivated).

In some functional areas, there really might not be much expertise at the unit level, but the new member can always ask for assistance/advice from their Group (where groups are utilized) or wing.   

Good luck in your quest for deciding what is the best unit to join in your area

RM

resqccemt

Well I have visited some squadrons... I have gained valuable insight to many of the postings that include accolades and frustrations expressed by members of CAP here on CAP Talk by visiting the squadrons first hand.  Basically what I have gathered is that the mission of CAP is evolving, it is going away from SAR (which is handled primarily by local and state public safety agencies), as well in changes in use of ELT and going more towards a disaster relief/response type of mission. I am privileged to be able to have a  good number of squadrons with dedicated volunteers that are within an hour drive to be able to choose from. My question is where would I fit? Most of my skills from my career apply to ground team functions, the squadrons that focus on aviation would be something complete new, however when I first thought of joining CAP  I was interested in being a  mission observer.  If that what my local squadron needs.... Im here , Im ready to learn!

I was asked a question at one squadron I visited which was " Due to your job, would you be available during an actual emergency?" I think that is valid, and I said CAP is a national and regional resource. A hurricane may be on the coast, but my job may not be affected  unless there is a disaster here locally. I also said that my experience could be used to instruct, impart, and train to help prepare all members.

To join such an organization is an honor and a commitment.  So that is why I am taking the time to learn from those who are seasoned.  At this point.. I will continue to visit meetings... I think a prospective member should go to at least 3 meetings at the squadron before joining.  AnywY I am looking for all advice and opinions from every perspective.

Nathan

In the KC area, we tend to deal with tornados quite a bit. Most areas have their own localized problems to deal with in disaster relief. Any skills in ES will be of use, so you will be welcome to any squadron with interest in ES.

If you find a squadron with no ES program, don't be afraid to offer to start one. That would be a difficult but very rewarding experience worth exploring.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

resqccemt

Well, I am going to continue with visiting 3 meetings at the prospective squadrons I have visited... Plus there is one other that I plan to visit as well but that is over an hour away. So far, the squadrons are either flight centered and aren't really interested in my past experience. However, I do find interest in the flight operations arena. I just wanted to jump in and be  able to use my previous SAR and emergency services experience.  Some of the squadrons I have visited, the senior members don't really do anything but sit around and do mess with their laptops and ipads, while grumbling about having to take FEMA courses.

I was also questioned about my job, which is in emergency services, that I would not be of any use to them because if there was an actual disaster that I would be busy with my full time job, and I would not be able to make all the meetings. They are forgetting the fact that in my shift work, that I would be available for times when the majority of senior members are working.  Here we  have a volunteer organization that I would be paying dues and providing  my gear, uniforms and material at my expense...  But willing to pitch in and get the work done as a resource to the squadron , and more than willing to learn the way CAP does things.

Then the whole uniform thing is confusing, I see 4 different uniforms at the meetings and it just doesn't look like there is cohesiveness or professionalism in that. Coming from working at a fire service organizations we had to wear the same thing----Look uniform and part of the same organization, with a common purpose.

Like I said I am going to give the squadrons I visited a full chance and go to 3 meetings, which is only fair.  However I am considering joining up with my local DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Team) . It would be something affiliated   with my job,there are regular deployments with a defined mission, there are no dues, they pay for your gear, and I would be working in my scope of practice.  CAP is something a little bit different though with something new and challenging... I will see over the next few weeks.. I got some new insight reading the thread from former members. 

Private Investigator

It is really up to you. I am an retired policeman, 25 years on the job. I have fun in CAP.

Boy Scouts, Big Brothers, CERT, Habitat for Humanity, Doctors without Borders, Youth Sports, et al, all great groups so whatever suits your fancy.

Have fun   8)

a2capt

Quote from: resqccemt on May 22, 2012, 08:36:55 PM...that I would not be of any use to them because if there was an actual disaster that I would be busy with my full time job...
Really? You mean you have *nothing* that you could contribute towards training.. which ... umm.. dare I say it, "would be of use to them"? Great. Whoever told you that .. Good job. Not.

CAP is not a first responder. Not even a close second, if we have units with that mentality..
Quote from: resqccemt on May 22, 2012, 08:36:55 PMThen the whole uniform thing is confusing, I see 4 different uniforms at the meetings and it just doesn't look like there is cohesiveness or professionalism in that.
CAP could also stand for Confusion About Policies ;)

resqccemt

CAP is something I have admired since I first became involved in SAR many years ago.  I am not going to judge based upon the few and do see some hardworking dedicated members.  A commitment if I join is something I take seriously. I plan to continue going to some meetings at different squadrons and visit another one. Also, I Plan to read as much of the pamphlets regarding specialty tracks and research as much as I can.