"ES For Dummies"

Started by Abby.L, January 09, 2012, 09:41:11 PM

Abby.L

Hello all,
I am the new cadet safety officer in my squadron, after the last one resigned from CAP. He left me in quite a hole, as I now have to present a basic class about ES to my squadron this week. I will have 3 other cadets to assist me, SSgt and below, but I would like a basic class that covers most of the bases and issues, that would take up 20 minutes or less. If anyone can assist me in the essentials that I should cover, that would be great, thanks! ;D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

rustyjeeper

has everyone taken the 116?
a class on how to take that and upload a photo is always a good place to begin and to do ANY ES training you need to have all participants 116 qualified... get that out of the way
Once that is done it may be...
go to the CAP website under ES and there are a lot of ES powerpoints already available to put a class togather with just pick a subject

Eclipse

Where does ES Basics fall under Safety?

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

As far as the 116 goes, practicly no one. And thanks for the hint about NHQ. Looks like they actually did something intelligent!  :o  ;) And sorry, I should have specified: I'm the cadet Safety/ES officer. I'm just used to saying Safety officer.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

rustyjeeper

I read the title and went from there- my mistake sorry! >:(
of course to be safe while doing ES you can discuss wearing lots of orange during hunting season or cover proper tying of bootlaces ;)

Abby.L

Haha no problem. Sad thing is, I can see some of the cadets in my squadron doing that. And could anyone provide a link to the powerpoints? I seem to have a problem finding it...  8)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Fubar

Where's the senior member that you're assisting? You should be getting help and guidance from an adult, as a cadet you won't be in charge of safety (or ES for that matter).

Abby.L

I understand that I won't be "In Charge" of it. And as far as the senior member, hey, he's as clueless as me. We lost our last ES officer to his job, so he's now a back up. Point being, I've been assigned a task, and I will do it.  ::)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Extremepredjudice

At least you get a class. The best I got was about 2 minutes and then our c/cc started grumping.

Talk about Ground teams, IC, and ICS.
You could blow an hour on any of those.

If you still need to fill time, Q and A.
Easy time filler, and you get back to the cadets later if you don't know the answer.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Abby.L

Haha yea. And I'm the one teaching it, lucky me. So I had a general idea of covering SQTRs, short Q&A(I'll probably get candy to get them into it), Ground teams and IC, another Q&A, and then Some basic communications. Though I might have to extend the time plan, but it shouldn't be too bad. That sound pretty good?
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2012, 09:55:55 PM
Where does ES Basics fall under Safety?
That's what I was wondering.
Also.....where is your squadron safety officer or your squadron ES officer?  They are the ones who should be mentoring you....not some random guys on CT.

Go back to your squadron and ask your safety officer/commander for assitance.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Levilockling on January 10, 2012, 06:06:46 AM
I understand that I won't be "In Charge" of it. And as far as the senior member, hey, he's as clueless as me. We lost our last ES officer to his job, so he's now a back up. Point being, I've been assigned a task, and I will do it.  ::)
If you are not qualified to teach ES....you should not be teaching ES.

Your commander needs to go up to group/wing and request assitance.  This sort of thing is way outside to scope of what you as a C/CMSgt should be doing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: lordmonar on January 10, 2012, 06:59:39 AM
Quote from: Levilockling on January 10, 2012, 06:06:46 AM
If you are not qualified to teach ES....you should not be teaching ES.

Your commander needs to go up to group/wing and request assitance.  This sort of thing is way outside to scope of what you as a C/CMSgt should be doing.

+1

I'm all for learning by digging in and doing it, but this is one of the things you at least need outside consultation on before you begin. Eventually you're going to need an evaluator.

JetDriver777

Were does it state that you have to be qualified to teach ES?  ANYONE can teach. 

Extremepredjudice

This chief is smart enough to get help and feedback. He'll do fine.

Just don't procrastinate.  Remember to practice.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

rustyjeeper

"+1

I'm all for learning by digging in and doing it, but this is one of the things you at least need outside consultation on before you begin. Eventually you're going to need an evaluator."
[/quote]

Seems to me that he is reaching out for advice and consultation--to all of us here. Yes going thru the unit might be a better idea in some ways- but we have no idea the size of the unit and how active they are in ES.
Here on captalk there is a wealth of information available and a lot of experience to draw from. We can offer suggestion which he can utilize to learn about and then present to the senior in charge who may or may not allow those topices...

Since your talk is on safety related to ES I suggest consideration of the following items:
Lightning safety-what do you do if you cant get to shelter???

Poisin Ivy, Oak, Sumac identification and treatment for those occasions when it is "too late"
Tick borne illeness (lyme disease)
Chiggers/ Fire Ants /Snakes all depending on where you live in the country and what the hazards are
the list goes on and on
and of course everything in the field has risk, just think of all the ways to get hurt even something as simple as proper wear of boots can be a safety topic if done with thought

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JetDriver777 on January 10, 2012, 07:28:06 PM
Were does it state that you have to be qualified to teach ES?  ANYONE can teach.

Knowing what you're talking about helps :).

ol'fido

When I saw the Topic title "ES for Dummies", I thought it was going to be a review of the GT/UDFT Task Guide. Shucks.  :( :'( >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Duke Dillio

I have a slide presentation that I created specifically to introduce people to how to become a GTM.  PM me if you want a copy.  It'll probably be going up on a website within the next six months.

Abby.L

Thanks for all the positive responses, y'all! The lesson is tomorrow, and I have powerpoints to cover what I said I would cover before. Thanks again, I'm sure that I'll do fine.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013