Where to start for Ground Team

Started by U.S.A.F. C.A.P., December 27, 2011, 03:58:55 AM

U.S.A.F. C.A.P.

I really aim to become a ground team member but I also don't know where to start. Can anyone help me out on where to start to become a ground team member ?

Thanks,
C/SMsgt.
Griffin Composite Squadron. GAWG
SER-GA-014  HOO-YAH!
C/SMsgt.

EMT-83

Your chain of command can point you in the right direction.

Spaceman3750

http://nesa.cap.gov

Clear a week from your calendar and mow some lawns.

Extremepredjudice

Poke your group commander (through CoC) and see who the ESO is. Ask the ESO who has SET in GTM3 in your area.
If group can't help, move up the chain.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 27, 2011, 04:11:56 AM
Poke your group commander (through CoC) and see who the ESO is. Ask the ESO who has SET in GTM3 in your area.

Why would you start at the Group? The unit is supposed to handle this end-to-end.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Wrong answer. Very wrong.

The individual member does not "poke" the group commander. Ever.

Extremepredjudice

My speak for contact him. Not actually poking him.
Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2011, 04:16:26 AM

Why would you start at the Group? The unit is supposed to handle this end-to-end.
I assumed he already did that.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 27, 2011, 04:20:10 AM

Wrong answer. Very wrong.

The individual member does not "poke" the group commander. Ever.

Except when you asked your squadron CC first and he didn't know or your issue wasn't resolved at the lowest level of the chain.

EMT-83

Of course, in this scenario it would be the squadron ES officer reaching out to the group ES officer if the situation couldn't be resolved locally.

The point is members don't jump the chain of command just because they feel like it.

As to the OP, you're an NCO. You should know where to ask these questions.

GroundHawg

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 27, 2011, 04:38:18 AM
Of course, in this scenario it would be the squadron ES officer reaching out to the group ES officer if the situation couldn't be resolved locally.

The point is members don't jump the chain of command just because they feel like it.

+1
I cant imagine a smsgt not knowing this or many of the other routine questions he/she has recently posted. At that level they should be instructing the jr ncos and airman on these questions....

Angus

Even by using the Chain sometimes this isn't an option.  Not every  Wing has Groups.  So I'd say it like this,

"If you're ES Officer can't answer have them ask the next hier echilon"
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 27, 2011, 03:29:11 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 27, 2011, 04:38:18 AM

+1
I cant imagine a smsgt not knowing this or many of the other routine questions he/she has recently posted. At that level they should be instructing the jr ncos and airman on these questions....

Unfortunately there are far too many units where the leaders feel ES is an optional part of our mission and have nary a clue - most likely they
are struggling just to run the small part of the program they feel they "have to", and anything off that center is just too much to "bother with".

But I agree an NCO, at a minimum, should have an idea where to at least begin on questions like this.

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

Hmmm, noone pointed him to the Ops Quals section of E-services....

Go there and look up the SQTR for GTM-3.  If you don't have General ES, then start there.  It would also be advisable to get on the Vanguard website and purchase a copy of the Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task Guide or download it from the internet.  That should get you on the right path.

EMT-83

Quote from: Flint on December 27, 2011, 04:13:02 PM

Even by using the Chain sometimes this isn't an option.  Not every  Wing has Groups.  So I'd say it like this,

It's a pet peeve of mine; members doing an end run around their chain of command and going right to Wing. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.

Angus

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 27, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Flint on December 27, 2011, 04:13:02 PM

It's a pet peeve of mine; members doing an end run around their chain of command and going right to Wing. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.

I'm not saying go straight to Wing use the COC.  But there are some Wings with no Groups.  So it does go Squadron to Wing.   That's why I'm saying let's phrase this as if you can't do it at your Squadron use "next higher echilon". 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

SarDragon

Quote from: GoneAway on December 27, 2011, 04:49:44 PM
Hmmm, noone pointed him to the Ops Quals section of E-services....

Go there and look up the SQTR for GTM-3.  If you don't have General ES, then start there.  It would also be advisable to get on the Vanguard website and purchase a copy of the Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task Guide or download it from the internet.  That should get you on the right path.

The SQTR is of limited usefulness. Go for the task guides right out of the chute. They are the meat of the training program.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on December 28, 2011, 02:30:26 AM
The SQTR is of limited usefulness. Go for the task guides right out of the chute. They are the meat of the training program.

There is also the Reference Text which expands on most of the subjects in the Task Guides.

You might also check the USAF Survival Manual, as a lot of the text of our curriculum was derived directly from there.

"That Others May Zoom"

cpyahoo

Your CAP squadron should have an Energency Services officer.  To start towards your goal of GTM, you will need to have access to the "Ground Team Member & Leader Task Guide".  Many over look this next one, but also access the "Ground Team Member & Leader Reference".  The Reference is what the Task Guide (aka GT green handbook) is derived from.  Some really good information in both.  Your Specialty Qualification Training Requirements (SQTRs) outline the exact training requirements you need to meet for each GTM rating.  All this can be accessed on the internet.
     You have to attend training sessions and SAREX's to train on and meet the training requirements as per the SQTRs.  Your chain of command can assist you with locating GT training and a schedule of wing and group SAREXs.  Hope this helps.

Thrashed

In my experience with cadets and squadrons and SAR; They can and will do all the training and requirements except the FEMA classes required to be GT certified. Those online classes seem to be a barrier.? I can't the test for them.

Save the triangle thingy