Service Dress for Seniors at Wing Conference/Banquet?

Started by Stonewall, November 30, 2011, 02:44:59 AM

Brad

Quote from: lordmonar on November 30, 2011, 09:02:18 PM
Quote from: ß τ ε on November 30, 2011, 08:30:20 PM
Quote from: Brad on November 30, 2011, 08:20:29 PM
I myself wore service dress with full ribbons (no "some" allowed, all or none per 39-1)
Actually, for seniors, it is "all or some," so "none" is not allowed. Wear at least one ribbon, but you are not required to wear all.
"all" would be impossible for some of us with "everthing below the notch in the lapel" rule.

Even with me going four across I am pushing it.

That's why they make right-shifted racks for!  :)
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Stonewall

"all" would be impossible for some of us with "everthing below the notch in the lapel" rule.

You're not one of those who wears military and CAP ribbons are you?  If I did that I'd have 39 ribbons (23 military/16 CAP).
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2011, 09:49:16 PM

You're not one of those who wears military and CAP ribbons are you?  If I did that I'd have 39 ribbons (23 military/16 CAP).

Well.....all is all is it not?

On my mess dress I wear all...but on my blues I don't because I too have something like 40 or so ribbons.....have not counted lately.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2011, 09:49:16 PM

I can't do it with my CAP ribbons and badges.  I end up taking off a badge to make space.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Short Field

What do you do for ribbon racks when you have over 32 ribbons?  I don't want to get a custom made rack and I am not sure putting two racks together will look decent.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

Quote from: Short Field on November 30, 2011, 11:59:26 PM
What do you do for ribbon racks when you have over 32 ribbons?  I don't want to get a custom made rack and I am not sure putting two racks together will look decent.

Get two and clue them together with popsicle sticks.   >:D

Extremepredjudice

I know a ROTC cadet that has so many he uses 3 ribbon racks.... The ribbons go down his back.  ::)

The one goes to the top, then uses another to go flat across his shoulder then another going upside down on his back.

To be honest, it looks really bad.

Moral of the story: just wear the ones you are proud of, and store the rest away.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 01, 2011, 01:16:01 AM
I know a ROTC cadet that has so many he uses 3 ribbon racks.... The ribbons go down his back.  ::)

The one goes to the top, then uses another to go flat across his shoulder then another going upside down on his back.

Moral of the story: just wear the ones you are proud of, and store the rest away.

Pics or it didn't happen ;).

MSG Mac

Did they have a sale at the BX or Vanguard?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

I always have worn service dress for both the conference and the banquet and it was just fine.

In fact, for the classes at the conference I left my service dress blouse in the garment bag and just wore the long-sleeve shirt and tie.

One year the guest speaker was an AFRES Brigadier General and he wore service dress.

I've only seen a handful of mess dress-wearers at any conference, and most permutations of the blazer gig, but I have never seen anyone wearing golf shirts at a banquet!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Try this:

https://www.ultrathin.com/index.htm

I've dealt with them in the past and they do good work...and they offer a rackbuilder with both AF and CAP ribbons.

Just to test it I put together one with 32 ribbons and it works.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Short Field

The standard four row large rack holds 32 ribbons.  I also don't care for ultra-thins.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

What commander would allow that to exist for more than 30 seconds in his sight?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2011, 04:49:14 AM

You're being generous. I'd figure about six and a half.

davidsinn

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 01, 2011, 05:13:48 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2011, 04:49:14 AM

You're being generous. I'd figure about six and a half.

I'd give a full five minutes. Four to stop laughing, 30 seconds to take a picture and 30 secs to let him take it off.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

Quote from: Short Field on December 01, 2011, 04:36:32 AM
The standard four row large rack holds 32 ribbons.  I also don't care for ultra-thins.

I have heard several people as of late say they do not care for ultra-thins. May I ask you why you don't?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on December 01, 2011, 03:13:44 AM

Try this:

https://www.ultrathin.com/index.htm

I've dealt with them in the past and they do good work...and they offer a rackbuilder with both AF and CAP ribbons.

Just to test it I put together one with 32 ribbons and it works.
Does not work past 40 ribbons.....So I would have to call them to special order.  ???

tsrup

Quote from: NCRblues on December 01, 2011, 05:23:46 AM
Quote from: Short Field on December 01, 2011, 04:36:32 AM

I have heard several people as of late say they do not care for ultra-thins. May I ask you why you don't?

some of the ones I've seen were so bowed inward they looked like a piece of old cardboard with ribbons glued to them. 

and some looked sharp and straight.

I suppose it's all about the quality and how you take care of it, just like with anything else.
Paramedic
hang-around.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I like them because I find them easier to take care of, and the magnetic attachment makes it easier to position them properly on my uniforms, and doesn't leave any pin holes.

I take care of them the way I've always taken care of my ribbons...a light dusting of Scotchgard keeps them a lot cleaner and helps keep them from fraying.

There are downsides, like having to get a new set whenever you get new bling.  For that reason I don't recommend them to cadets, since they tend to get ribbons a lot more frequently than seniors as they move through their achievements.  I recently got another clasp for my Red Service Ribbon, so I got another set.

You do have to be careful with the magnets, because they are very powerful.

Note: they also sell magnetic CAP nameplates in both grey and blue...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011