Service Dress for Seniors at Wing Conference/Banquet?

Started by Stonewall, November 30, 2011, 02:44:59 AM

Stonewall

Usually the uniform for National and Wing conference banquets is mess dress for seniors.  In DCWG it was "mess dress or your best CAP dress", i.e. you could wear a short-sleeve blues shirt if that's all you had.  But DCWG is smaller than some groups.  So what about larger wings like TX, CA and FL?

Is it acceptable to wear Service Dress to the banquet if you don't have Mess Dress?  Or is it more acceptable to wear a civilian suit?

I don't even have mess dress for the Air Force, I'll be [darn]ed if I'm buying a set for CAP.

Thoughts?  Experiences at a FLWG conference and banquet?
Serving since 1987.

Tim Medeiros

At the banquet during the FLWG conference you'll find seniors Service Dress and Short Sleeve blues frequently.  I personally have worn Semi-Formal (as a cadet) and the corporate equiv, and finally Mess Dress at my last FLWG conference.

This is coming from someone who has been to every FLWG conference since 2002 (might have been 2001, depends which one was in Sarasota) except for this last one (Didn't feel like asking my MTL for time off).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

DBlair

Well, it looks like I might see you there...

My tentative plan is to wear Mess Dress to the banquet (if I get everything squared away in time), but I've heard of many others planning to wear everything from the formal version of the blazer uniform, to a civilian suit, to service dress-- women have it easier in that most just wear a gown/dress. If you are in the market for Mess Dress, I've seen a variety on eBay going for surprisingly low ($10-40 for the full set) amounts. I guess a lot of it boils down to what you would be comfortable wearing and what you have available.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Hawk200

Most of the banquets I've been to, service dress or civilian equivalent was worn. A few mess dress (some of the guys who are Air Force officers have worn their AF Mess), but not many.

Camas

Personal opinion only - service dress, service or blazer for the conference itself and mess dress, formal blazer or blazer for the banquet. I wore the formal blazer once and I realized I was the only one wearing it so I've given up on that option. There's certainly nothing wrong with a nice dark suit for the banquet in lieu of the uniform options I've listed. I don't own a mess dress and have no intention of acquiring one. Then I've seen members attending both the conference and the banquet in golf shirts. Perhaps they have nothing else - go figure.

Hawk200

Quote from: Camas on November 30, 2011, 05:21:12 AM
Then I've seen members attending both the conference and the banquet in golf shirts.
Conference I can understand. But the banquet? That seems kind of tacky.

SarDragon

The next time I do a banquet, I'm wearing my tux. I wore the formal blazer a couple of times, and felt way underdressed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2011, 02:44:59 AM

Is it acceptable to wear Service Dress to the banquet if you don't have Mess Dress? 

I find that acceptable. I think of it as a fellowship with our friends and I would hate to see someone not attend because of lack of uniform options.

Stonewall

A long long time ago, I think '95 or '96, the the NHQ conference and banquet was in DC.  I attended during the day and had paid for the banquet at night.  I was a poor, working college student and had service dress. No problem.  I had no idea mess dress was in order for the banquet and showed in service dress.  People stared big time.  I have never felt so uncomfortable in my CAP life.

Someone suggested a dark suit in lieu of mess dress.  Um, isn't the service dress a "dark suit" of sorts?

Honestly, I don't even have a CAP service coat right now.  I've got one for the AF, of course, because it was issued to me.  But I sold my CAP service coat a few years ago to someone who needed it.  Maybe I just won't go to the banquet.  I have a free place to stay (best friend lives there), so the cost is minimal for me.  I just can't see dropping hundreds of dollars for a [potentiall] one time event.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

WOW!

The men's officer service coat costs more than the mess dress coat by $5.00.

Enlisted service coat is $96 and the officers is $180.  Crazy!  Maybe I'll wear my Air Force semi-formal option to the banquet.  Be a Lt Col by day and a TSgt (should be MSgt by then) at night.
Serving since 1987.

Extremepredjudice

Stonewall, check around. I've seen some for as low as 40$.
Once I get home I'll get you links.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Major Lord

What size uniform  do you wear? I would lend you my Service or Mess dress if it fit you. ( Although you would have to buy a bunch more medals than I have for the Mess Dress) I doubt I will need it any time soon.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Stonewall

I wear a 44 long (can do regular) coat and 36w/34l pants.

Serving since 1987.

DBlair

I'll check on some service dress/mess dress options for you as I remember seeing those sizes recently.

I live here in Tampa as well-- is your friend a member of CAP? (Just curious if I might know him) I have to admit, the convenience of it being held here is certainly a nice benefit, and a lot of members likewise seem happy and plan to attend as (all things considered) it seems to be an overall less-expensive endeavor then the Orlando option.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Stonewall

Quote from: DBlair on November 30, 2011, 06:26:30 PMI live here in Tampa as well-- is your friend a member of CAP? (Just curious if I might know him).

Not a CAPer.  He's been my best friend since around 6 years old (1979-ish).  He's a doctor down there.
Serving since 1987.

Brad

I saw just as much service dress as I did mess dress, perhaps even moreso, among the senior members at the conference I went to a few years ago. Plus a healthy splash of corporate blazer for the round n' fuzzy ones :)

I myself wore service dress with full ribbons (no "some" allowed, all or none per 39-1) and full size wings and didn't feel out of place. Granted I was a bit jealous of those who were wearing mess dress because I find it to be a very sharp-looking uniform.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

ßτε

Quote from: Brad on November 30, 2011, 08:20:29 PM
I myself wore service dress with full ribbons (no "some" allowed, all or none per 39-1)
Actually, for seniors, it is "all or some," so "none" is not allowed. Wear at least one ribbon, but you are not required to wear all.

Brad

Quote from: ß τ ε on November 30, 2011, 08:30:20 PM
I myself wore service dress with full ribbons (no "some" allowed, all or none per 39-1)
Actually, for seniors, it is "all or some," so "none" is not allowed. Wear at least one ribbon, but you are not required to wear all.

*peers* I stand corrected. Ah well, I always wear all or none as we enforce the loaner rule with my squadron whenever you receive a new ribbon or get promoted, so the short ribbon bars get turned back into the squadron.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

lordmonar

Quote from: ß τ ε on November 30, 2011, 08:30:20 PM
"all" would be impossible for some of us with "everthing below the notch in the lapel" rule.

Even with me going four across I am pushing it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2011, 05:46:13 PM
I wear a 44 long (can do regular) coat and 36w/34l pants.

Close. I am a 46 Long. I am not sure what my matching shade dress pants are, but you can get away with the wrong shade....I am 6-3, 220 Lbs, so if thats close and you want to borrow them, contact me off list and I will send it out.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."