Subdividing CAP and real life?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, November 03, 2011, 12:10:43 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am not sure that this is the place for it (Mike, please feel free to move) but have any of the rest of you ever experienced balancing CAP with "real life?"

I'm disabled, so I've come to view CAP as almost my "job."  When I was single it wasn't much of an issue.  I devoted so much time to CAP that it was almost like being "active duty CAP."  Now I'm older, married and with age my health isn't getting a lot better...and I find that I cannot devote as much time to CAP.  I am part of a very vital unit, both on the senior and cadet sides, and I do not like it that other commitments (my dear wife, church, etc.) tend to dilute what I do for CAP and feel too often like I let them down.

I'm kind of an all-or-nothing type and not very good with grey areas and want to give my best, but I'm having trouble re-evaluating just what my "best" is.

I do not want to leave CAP or go on patron status...maybe I'm not making any sense but I am wondering if anyone else has found themselves in such an odd situation.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

I have varied my CAP participation over the years, based on time, finances, and other commitments. My local unit have been willing to work with me, so that my level of effort was useful to them, and fit into my abilities.

If you need to throttle back, talk to the folks in your unit, and negotiate a bit to what will make you both happy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I wouldn't trouble yourself beyond doing the best you can.

I've had months where I was "full time", and times when I was scratching to find anything to do.  This summer was difficult because my
consulting was slow at the same time I found myself without the word "Commander" on my business card for first time in about
7 years.  I also turned over the reigns of the encampment, so I was like "Now what?".  Thankfully I've got a new CAP job and things will be back to "normal" for me soon.

I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to dial things down, but even if it was tomorrow I'd still feel satisfied that I more than did my CAP bit for God and Country.

From your posts here, I'm guessing you have too, so I wouldn't sweat it.  Be more conservative with the commitments you make, keep them as best you can, and sleep well at night.  All we can do is our best.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

My experiences in CAP have involved "saving" units.  All the units I've ever joined were on the brink of closing, so to save them I've had to devote A LOT of time to it.  However, I can't say that it's ever come in between my other obligations.  My wife volunteers with me; granted not as much. 

When I first turned senior, I was putting in 60ish hours a week recruiting, fundraising, running activities, training seniors, etc.  Two years later, I moved to the next unit and it became the same thing. I was working full-time as well during both periods.  But, I was younger and had more energy, no kids, etc.

Now, I have a kid on the way, am finishing a degree, and have more social obligations.  I've also picked up another organization that I help with.  The local unit I'm with now needs that same energy and effort put into it to make it healthy again.  So, I'm doing what I can.

I have a strong sense of loyalty to CAP despite the obvious problems that the organization has, the politicking, IG investigation missteps, and the same failures over and over again.  It gave me a lot when I was a cadet and I want to make sure that the people who touch our organization get a positive experience from it.  Part of volunteering is sacrifice, and we all give a little bit of ourselves when we do anything with CAP.  Volunteering at all means that you are putting something else aside, even if it's just sitting on the couch.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

I tend to go in spurts of high activity for a year or so, mid-level activity for a couple of years, and then a year or so of low activity (meaning not holding any CAP staff jobs at all).  Right now, I'm well into a low-activity period and quite frankly am not sure that I really want to pull out of it anytime soon.  I've really done everything I wanted to do in CAP and at the moment I don't see a lot of real future in the area of CAP that is my primary interest (ES).  Some other activities are drawing my interest and I've probably got another 10 years where I'll really be able to physically do them.  Perhaps I might go patron with the idea of coming back when I finally reach typical CAP senior member age (late 50s) and would feel content puttering around the mission base.

mmouw

I have had times where I am very, very active and then very inactive. Over the last 5-6 years I have been very, very active. I currently serve as a Group Commander. This keeps me busy, but I always have to remind myself that it is up to me about how busy I am. Durning a normal month, I will visit squadrons and have activities on weekends. I also during that month, purposly try to schedule a week where I am CAP free. It doesn't always work that way but I try to make up that time later on.

My members know that my expectations for their time is up to them. Family, work/school, and for some church come before CAP. All I ask is that when there is a need for their knowledge, they be ready. This organization could be so much more if all members put just that little bit into it when needed.

I also make sure that my group staff are engaged in their programs, but not creating unnesscary work for the squadrons. Just to do it is not a good enough reason to have members jump through extra hoops. There are some folks that think all CAP members have as much free time as they do.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

Walkman

I've been through similar ups & downs. It is hard when you are so passionate about something and can't always make the time to commit to it as you'd wish. I've always found understanding & supportive colleagues in my units when life needed me to throttle back on CAP.

Sometimes when I feel like I'm not able to give much, like when "my best" isn't where it should be, I'm reassured by this analogy:

(True story) A woman was an eager beginner learning to climb mountains. On here first really big climb (don't remember which peak, but one of the huge ones), her guide & mentor told her this: "Don't look up during the climb. When you get tired after a while, look down. If you look up, you'll only be discouraged by how far you still have to go and you'll lose strength. If you look down, you'll see how far you've climbed and be encouraged and find the strength to keep pushing on".

So, when you are at those times when you can't give CAP everything you wish you could. Look back on your time and remember all the good you've done for your community and nation and be proud. Take a rest and then keep climbing.

RADIOMAN015

I think that when one volunteers they need to set limits as to how much time & money they want to spend on that endeavor right from the start (which can be very difficult to do for some).   Surely life's challenges can change ones volunteer time availability.

Also what I observe is that some volunteers are 'taken for granted' because they always step up to do things :( >:(.  Sometimes it might be best to try to motivate someone else to at least help so that perhaps they can do that specific project the next time around.   I've even observed attitudes that someone who stepped up didn't quite do it the way the former "expert" did it, perhaps with less success (at least in the eyes of the expert).   This is a good way to demotivate ANYONE from volunteering to do anything :(.

The bottom line is as a volunteer do what you are comfortable doing & if you have to scale back what you can do, most people will understand that.    Thanks for your service :clap:
RM   

The CyBorg is destroyed

Thanks all, especially for understanding what I was trying to get across when I didn't understand it myself!

You wouldn't know it from my verbose Bravo Sierra here on CT, but I am actually very reserved in person and change is not my favourite thing...and my unit has had two changes of command over the past two years.  Just when I've got to know one commander and think I know what he expects from me, another one comes along and I have to try and figure out what he wants of me, not to mention the task a new commander has of trying to figure me out!  Not the easiest thing for a commander to do with someone who has a personality somewhere between Sherlock Holmes' Dr Watson and Lieutenant Reginald Barclay on Star Trek: The Next Generation! :P

So a big part of my conundrum is trying to figure out where I fit in with the grand scheme of what CAP expects of me...having been a member of four different units (of all three types of squadrons), mostly due to moving, all of which have different interpersonal dynamics, as well as my getting older (but not healthier) and differing personal responsibilities... ???
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Its a tough call. When I retire full time I am thinking to another country but then I will miss out on the CAP fellowship.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 10, 2011, 11:02:32 AM
Its a tough call. When I retire full time I am thinking to another country but then I will miss out on the CAP fellowship.

Just make it Puerto Rico, Japan, Germany, or the USVI and you're good to go!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill