Oxidized badges still worn?

Started by Laplace, January 15, 2007, 11:49:00 PM

Laplace

Are the dull /oxidized badges (aviation & specialty) still able to be worn on CAP aviator shirts?  I have searched archives and CAPM 39-1 and don't see prohibitions.  I do see specific reference to "highly polished" badges being worn with USAF style uniforms.

Need this issue clarified as I see the oxidized badges often worn with the aviator shirt.  If this is prohibited, I will address during SLS Professional Image presentation. Thanks in advance.   

Todd Scioneaux, Maj, CAP
LAWG LG

MIKE

They were included on the phase out sheet in the back of the previous CAPM 39-1 (1997).
Mike Johnston

Laplace

:-[  OK..... I guess I did miss that.   Thanks for quick reply!   Looks like we will need to re-publish that phase-out list.

DNall

^ Yep. They can be highly polished w/ some brasso to look better than the chrome, but that's high maint & not recommended for any length of time. I've done that recently while waiting for new stuff to come in from vanguard. I used to do it (same set) when the transition happened so I wouldn't have to change sets all the time, just so the two badges were matching. You shouldn't do that though if it can be avoided. The people you're talking about I doubt spend 30mins polishing a badges getting down in the grooves & such before they're willing to let it near their uniform. There's really no reason anyone should not have the new stuff now 10 years later.

Laplace

Quote from: DNall on January 16, 2007, 12:08:37 AM
There's really no reason anyone should not have the new stuff now 10 years later.

Well this is Louisiana.  We are about 10 years behind the rest of the country.   I joke, I joke  ;D ;D   I love Louisiana!

Pylon

Give 'em to your historian (local, group, wing, etc.) or stick 'em in a shadowbox.  Or...

When I went on IACE back in the day, everybody brought a bunch of insignia to trade between nations (which was a fun little deal -- ended up with a lot of cool stuff).  My squadron at the time gave me all the oxidized insignia (GT badges and wings) from the supply box as they were phased out and useless anyways -- made for some nifty trades and a cool way to unload no-longer-useful devices.   ;D

Got any cadets around going to IACE in the next year or two?  Save for them and tell them to trade them for something cool to bring back.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP