1 Dies, 9 Sickened from Unidentified Odor at Fast Food Establishment

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 11, 2011, 07:29:39 PM

RADIOMAN015

See:  http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/1-dead-9-sick-from-fumes-at-mcdonalds-in-georgia

Does anyone in that area have any more information on this ???

Was this a potential terrorist small scale "try out" of a chemical type attack ???

Not much more in the press concerning this.  Note the location.
RM

wuzafuzz

Most likely someone mixed the wrong cleaning chemicals.  I recall a story years ago in So Cal of a lady who went for a bio-break in a restaurant and never came out.  Investigators eventually realized the restaurant staff inadvertently combined cleaning chemicals in a drain and the fumes popped up in the confined space on the other side of the wall: the bathroom.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

Should CAP members returning from meetings in uniform also avoid this restaurant?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: wuzafuzz on September 11, 2011, 07:38:01 PM
Most likely someone mixed the wrong cleaning chemicals.  I recall a story years ago in So Cal of a lady who went for a bio-break in a restaurant and never came out.  Investigators eventually realized the restaurant staff inadvertently combined cleaning chemicals in a drain and the fumes popped up in the confined space on the other side of the wall: the bathroom.
Again someone from that geographic area likely could provide more information.  It didn't seem to me (based upon the news article) that a specific hazmat team was dispatched nor was anything mentioned about air samples being taken.  Probably the room/facility was ventilated.   I'd like to see closure on these things rather than "secret squirrel", surely we don't need to know the combination of chemicals if any employee caused this, but a general statement would suffice.  Good to know it was an internal facility cause versus an external cause.
RM     

ol'fido

I don't believe it has anything to do with "secret squirrel"( or Morocco either for that matter) but once they realized that somebody mixed the "Liquid Drano" with the "Mr. Clean" wrong, it became a NON-EVENT.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: ol'fido on September 11, 2011, 11:27:41 PM
I don't believe it has anything to do with "secret squirrel"( or Morocco either for that matter) but once they realized that somebody mixed the "Liquid Drano" with the "Mr. Clean" wrong, it became a NON-EVENT.
Really you know personally it's a non event, because of what ???  Seems to me the public has a reasonable expectation to know that it was something done internally in error versus something external.
RN       

ol'fido

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 11, 2011, 11:32:36 PM
Really you know personally it's a non event, because of what ???  Seems to me the public has a reasonable expectation to know that it was something done internally in error versus something external.
RN     
Did you get a nursing degree there RN? Personally, no I don't know, but with the tabloid mentality of the news media these days I can bet that we would know what happened from the zit faced kid at the drive thru on the Six O'clock News or we would hear about the Black vans and the guys in the suits.

"Everybody look at the little silver stick with the red light on it and wait for the flash."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: ol'fido on September 11, 2011, 11:39:19 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 11, 2011, 11:32:36 PM
RN     
Did you get a nursing degree there RN? Personally, no I don't know, but with the tabloid mentality of the news media these days I can bet that we would know what happened from the zit faced kid at the drive thru on the Six O'clock News or we would hear about the Black vans and the guys in the suits.

"Everybody look at the little silver stick with the red light on it and wait for the flash."
Again, one person died, one person was found unconscious and others including firemen were checked out at the hospital.  I don't find that as a "non event" and it's reasonable to get closure on this by the public.
RM   

ol'fido

Not saying it is a "non-event" in that sense. It is tragic that people died, but once it became clear that this was an accident, this became a "non-event" in the sense that there is no "sinister force" behind it and the media lost interest. If you want to know what happened and get "closure", I'm sure Ned or somebody could tell you how to get the transcript of the Coroner's Inquest which should be public domain stuff.

tsrup

Are you guys saying that it's possible some fast food kid employee mixed chemicals that shouldn't go together into a potentially hazardous substance? 

No way.  It is far more likely that there is a terrorist plot against McDonalds.

It is probably being headed by Jared Fogle.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2011, 01:23:07 AM
It's a non-event in terms of relevance to CAP.
Perhaps I made an error in posting to the ES portion of the board. :-[

This may play out more as a safety issue.   Hey my unit has one cadet senior member that works at that particular fast food chain.   Cadets as well as senior members have been known to eat there.    I think the "unknown" as it stands in the recent press is a bit troublesome.   Wow, you go to use the rest room and you end up dead.  It will be interesting to find out what caused this, and looks like a great future safety briefing on household chemical dangers.
RM     

jimmydeanno

So one person dies, and 9 are sick from some sort of incident...out of 370,000,000 and we're supposed to start raising the terror threat level?  What about the 275 people that have died in car accidents since this thread was created? 

Authorities said Wednesday they suspected cleaning chemicals in the restroom were to blame, but the cause was still under investigation.

The restaurant was evacuated but McDonald's later said the restaurant had reopened after authorities deemed it safe.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2011, 02:59:34 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2011, 01:23:07 AM
It's a non-event in terms of relevance to CAP.
Perhaps I made an error in posting to the ES portion of the board. :-[

This may play out more as a safety issue.   Hey my unit has one cadet senior member that works at that particular fast food chain.   Cadets as well as senior members have been known to eat there.    I think the "unknown" as it stands in the recent press is a bit troublesome.   Wow, you go to use the rest room and you end up dead.  It will be interesting to find out what caused this, and looks like a great future safety briefing on household chemical dangers.
RM     

I can see it now, ORM forms to use the restroom ::). Also, only those in corporates are allowed to use the restroom (or stop at the restaurant to start with) because there's bands of terrorists waiting to gun down CAP members stopping after the meeting for a bite to eat and then fumigate them when they go to the restroom.

Flying Pig

Nothing surprises me.  When I was in the Marines, I had a Plt Sgt that instructed everyone that Bleach and amonia was the best cleaning solution to use on calcium build up in the toilets.  And NO....I am not making that up.  Scary thing was the Plt Sgt said the smell could make you sick so he encouraged us to wear our gasmasks during field days just to be safe.  THANK GOD the Corpsman was in our platoon when he said it.

arajca

I don't know how many times I responded to these chemical mixing calls when I was on the fire dept and hazmat team. The last one, a couple weeks before I retired from them, was during the local culinary school's final exams. All the food that was not in sealed containers, closed refridgerators/freezers, or closed pantries had to thrown away. The students were somewhat less than pleased since this was about 3/4 of the way through their final exam time. Fortunately, only three folks were injured, none seriously, although two were looking for jobs afterward...

Matt Moon

Hum don`t no what to say about that , never mix chemicals together if you don`t no what to expect . I have heard some pretty funny stories form my friend who is a police officer he said you can`t even imagine the types of calls and stuff we have to respond to .

HGjunkie

Back when I was a Doolie cleaning the bathrooms at encampment...   >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

spacecommand

No vast secret conspiracy or terrorist act here.

Death was caused by a lethal dose of carbon dioxide.  The source was an improperly disconnected drink dispenser.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/09/14/georgia.mcdonalds.death/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

CO2, in high concentrations, is an asphyxiant. It is heavier than air, and will collect from the floor up in an enclosed space.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LGM30GMCC

Terrorists using CO2? GAAAAAH! They're in our fast food joints, disconnecting our soda machines! DEFCON 1 DEFCON 1!!! NUKE THEM ALL!

This panic brought to you courtesy of of over-reactors of America. Remember: if you can panic about it, you should panic about it.

RRLE

Quote from: SarDragon on September 14, 2011, 09:34:26 PM
CO2, in high concentrations, is an asphyxiant. It is heavier than air, and will collect from the floor up in an enclosed space.

So you will now have to attend a safety briefing on how to safely pick up your pants and put them back on, without having to bend over.