Main Menu

Gear list

Started by resq1192, August 19, 2011, 12:40:51 PM

resq1192

Hi all,

I've been cruising throughout the ES forum and gear forum topics trying to find a definitive gear list for GT/SAR work.  I have seen several references to a gear list but don't know if there is a "common" gear list CAP uses w/additional gear for local considerations.

Several CAP and non-CAP SAR colleagues (who are being recruited to CAP) are looking into such a gear list so we will have only what is truly needed for a wilderness GT/SAR mission.  We have a definitive gear list as recommended by NASAR (the SARTECH 2 and SARTECH 1/Crew Boss 2 gear lists), which we've been running off for now.  Any thoughts out there?  Anyone have a gear list they're willing to share?  maybe this has already been listed ad nauseum (and sorry re asking for a repeat if it has) but I would appreciate any lists anybody has to offer.

Much thanks,

~Steve
From "The Searchers": "LET'S GO!"

jeders

This is a part of the standardized national training curriculum and can be found in the GTM Task Guide. And since I'm feeling extra helpful today, look on pages 4-7.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

resq1192

Thank you, Jeders.  Much appreciated.  Any other suggestions, etc out there?

Eclipse

Your best bet is to initially stick to the published lists, and stay conservative in your choices and spending.  As you gain more experience you can add / change things to your needs.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

No prob. All of the items listed are the minimum required for CAP ground teams, but it's not the be all end all list. Browse this forum and you'll see all sorts of opinions on different brands of equipment and different approaches to using/storing/carrying stuff. My advice is don't go out and buy the top of the line stuff right away. Buy the very basic items and find things that work for you. Read the various reviews here and elsewhere before you buy anything tacti-kewl so that you don't waste time/money. Hope this helps.

Edit to add:
Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2011, 02:50:38 PM
Your best bet is to initially stick to the published lists, and stay conservative in your choices and spending.  As you gain more experience you can add / change things to your needs.
+1 What he said.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

As a central part of it, remember to try going:
- LIGHT
- COMPACT
- MULTI-PURPOSE

A drybag (and some small drybags for stuff) is a good thing to have to - try Sea to Summit or Sealine.

I love these compasses:  http://www.suunto.com/en/products/Fieldcompasses/suunto-mc-2/

Steripens are great for water purification.

An inverter is essential gear, in my opinion, if you are going to carry any electronics - including a cell phone.  You might also try one of those portable chargers that are basically a big battery pack to which you can hook your cell phone or whatever to recharge.

Camelbak.

resq1192

Everybody,

Thanks for all the info so far.  All of us have some SAR experiene and are frugal - no tactikewl here, just needs to work.  Most of us are using the same pack that we use w/a civilian SAR team - see here for info:

http://thepackshack.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=Packs 

(see the 4th pack down, our team got them in orange).

From looking at the GT task list, some items gibe w/the SARTECH standards and some differ.  Good for us to know.  Any further help would be appreciated.

Walkman

I'd recommend you try different packs/LBE/vest/etc on before you buy something. I'm on my third pack variation, and I think I've got something that's comfortable. My problem was that I bought things online without being able to check it out. Even a 10 minute trial in Cabela's would go a long way in tell you if this is the right gear for you.

my 2ยข, YMMV...

titanII

Quote from: JC004 on August 19, 2011, 05:27:36 PM
A drybag (and some small drybags for stuff) is a good thing to have to - try Sea to Summit or Sealine.

I love these compasses:  http://www.suunto.com/en/products/Fieldcompasses/suunto-mc-2/

Steripens are great for water purification.

An inverter is essential gear, in my opinion, if you are going to carry any electronics - including a cell phone.  You might also try one of those portable chargers that are basically a big battery pack to which you can hook your cell phone or whatever to recharge.

Camelbak.
+1 for every item he listed. I personally own and use all of the items, and I can more or less guarantee that they are what you want.

Sea to Summit drybags are the best, lightest, and most durable drysack I've ever used (for non-nautical purposes). They can also be a lifesaver. Use them to keep your clothes dry, so if you fall in a river, you'll still have a dry fleece or whatever to put on.

The compass he listed is the lightest and most handy compass design out there. Having attempted to use a lensatic compass for orienteering, I can tell you that if you are lost, you will want no other compass for map use.

Steripens are one of the better water purification tools out there. I don't use mine anymore, because I lost it  ::). They are a bit heavier than a filter, but then again are smaller than many non-high end filters. But above all, they are darn easy to use, and far better than any drops or tablets, IMO.

And I see no reason why you wouldn't want a Camelbak. Hydration systems like those are invaluable, and any other brand I've had broke/leaked. They're a tad more expensive, but they're worth the money. Spring for a Camelbak-you'll be glad you did.
No longer active on CAP talk

JC004

Thank you and good work - I didn't have to write any explanations.

You can also get a pre-filter for the Steripen - I recommend that.  The Steripen Journey is nice.  I like it the best.

I use a LOK SAK for my cell phone and actually carry one everywhere for it.  My Android phone can be used in the bag while it's raining.

I recommend a CamelBak cleaning kit so you can wash it thoroughly.

Rite in the Rain products are excellent, including their little notebooks, ICS log notebooks, paper for forms, and pens.

Charmin to go for toilet paper.  Nice little container.

I have a Harmony drybag for my GPS that clips nicely onto my Kelty Redwing's shoulder strap.

I use THICK contractor bags - like 3 mil for the required trash bags - makes them great for TONS of stuff.

I attach a Fox 40 to my compass and wear them on my neck.  Can't go wrong with a Fox 40 for a whistle.

I carry an REI microfiber towel - great for drying up or just drying your feet. 

Toothbrush?   Look at the Colgate Wisp.

I LOVE carabiners for attaching things and THESE ROCK.  They are LIGHT and great, partly because they keep your attached item and where it is attached in different sections, which helps and makes things not flop around as much or whatever.  http://www.niteize.com/collections/s-biner

Princeton Tec makes great flashlights and they're cheaper than SureFire.  Nice headsets too.

Keep an eye out for CAP discounts on gear, and some kits that meet CAP needs.  I'm working on something.

Buzz

Think "Thunderbird 2" -- you don't need to drag all of your stuff with you, and you really don't want to.  Your basic load should be on your primary vest, pack, etc., then add other stuff as needed for any particular mission.

Also, it only takes one dunk-in-the-stream adventure for you to realize that MISTER ZIPLOC IS YOUR FRIEND.

resq1192

Everybody,

Thanks again for all the help.  And the Thunderbird 2 reference was classic! *LOL*  Thanks so much!