Main Menu

Encampment- A Day in the Life

Started by DakRadz, July 26, 2011, 01:07:01 AM

DakRadz

Encampment is not really like this. It's in Tall Tales for a reason. It is roughly based on true events (fire alarm, not CAP's fault), but mostly just... A tall tale.

I know we have other threads, but this seems like it deserves its own. If others want to post there own schedules, feel free- we can have [Humorous unrealistic versions of] what it's like to be a member of encampment for each echelon.

I know Karatian has a staff version inspired by mine ;D

I wrote this after the mother of my replacement as C/CC (took over when I moved) wanted to know what encampment would be like. I decided to go and have fun with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[A cadet's mother] wanted an Encampment Schedule. While mostly based on true events, this also was designed with humor in mind. See disclaimer as well.
:DDDDD

5:30 A.M.- waking up in fear of not being up early enough, only to be yelled at to go to sleep when caught awake.
6:00 A.M.- Just as sleep begins to call, voices of staff fill the air with a screeching harmony to "WAKE UP!"
6:30 A.M.- The girls have just figured out that makeup is miles away and they're not dressed, while the guys are already in line for breakfast, waiting for the girls.
6:45 A.M.-PT? What? I mean, what, sir?
7:00 A.M.-Breakfast is served
7:05 A.M.- Breakfast is over! MOVE MOVE MOVE NOW!
(Actually, the [tiny military version of a] full belly and sleepy syndrome factors have left me with no memories of what happens next, so- Improv!)
Forrest Gump- Now for some reason I fit in the Army like one of them round pegs. It's not really hard. You just make your bed real neat and remember to stand up straight and always answer every question with "Yes, drill sergeant/Almighty Spaatzen."
~~~~~
Forrest Gump: Lieutenant Dan, what are you doing here?
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: I'm here to try out my sea legs.
Forrest Gump: But you ain't got no legs, Lieutenant Dan.
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: [mildly irritated, but understanding] Yes... yes, I know that. You wrote me a letter, you idiot!
~~~~~
(Ah, now I've got it!)
12:00 P.M.- Lunch
12:10 P.M.- Lunch is over. The officers had coffee this time, so more time is allowed. MOVE!!!!!
12:05 P.M.- Internet time. You spent it in the mess hall. Too bad, only day you get it.
12:10 P.M.-3:00 P.M.- Rather interesting classes that still make you tired and sleepy simply because... It's class.
3:00 P.M.- Flight time. Make songs and such about the awesomeness (or lack thereof) of your flight and all others, respectively.
5:00 P.M.- Ah, working day is over! JUST KIDDING, MOVE!!! TIME FOR RAPPELING!
6:00 P.M.- Chow.
6:05 P.M.- Ciao!
6:10 P.M.- Evening PT. Jocks vs Nerds Running (unless you're a stubborn nerd who runs with crazy people like that Hillman- but I digress)
7:00 P.M.- (Another blank, so...)
~~~~
Major Payne: One! Don't you feel dumb. Two! Look at you. Three! Don't you ever make jokes about me behind my back or else I'll stomp you into the ground.
~~~~
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOOORNING VIETNAM!
~~~~~
(And now back to your regularly scheduled encampment)
8:00 P.M.- Evening formation. Make fun of the other flights. Enjoy the humor of the officers, but STAY AT ATTENTION! Hear how things went, and what's tomorrow.
9:00 P.M.- Showers. Nothing more to say.
9:30 P.M.- Showers over. Most males are finished, and the second group of females (out of 7) are told to get out, LIGHTS OUT!
10:00 P.M.- Final lights out. Don't let me hear a peep.............
...........zzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzz-CLANGCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG!!!!!!!!!!
3:00 A.M.- Fire drill. Unscheduled. Go Army, huh? Not so much right now.
Headcount on all fligh- WHAT? FIND THAT CADET! HOW DID THEY GET SEPARATED FROM THEIR ROOM????!?!??
3:15 A.M.- Missing cadet who actually slept through an entire building fire system is found. Lecture on staying with your wingman is given.
3:30 A.M.- Cadets, GO TO BED!! MOVE! FALSE ALARM, NO FIRE!
5:30 A.M.- See beginning.

DISCLAIMER: They aren't really yelling, but this is how you remember it if you don't carefully sift through true memories and horror stories you heard that turn into reality in your mind.
Plus, everything SEEMS like they yell due to the lack of sleep- regardless of lights out, we kept ourselves up for one reason or another.

Also, grilled cheese sammiches.

Eclipse

Were this really encampment, cadets would never come back, and those senior involved should be removed.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on July 26, 2011, 01:10:42 AM
Were this really encampment, cadets would never come back, and those senior involved should be removed.
Like I said... I decided to have fun with it. Encampment is NOT really like this- that was the point of putting it in Tall Tales.

CAPC/officer125

Actually, this seems reminiscent of encampment. At least to me...there are a few things that are off but hey its a story that isn't supposed to be true.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Well, that slightly scares me, HG- I didn't know you were friends with my friends.

:o ;D

I did kinda open the restrictions up so people could see it, though.

jks19714

Reminds me a bit of ROTC summer camp at Dix about 40 years ago...  My old company area is now a Federal Prison, kind of fitting.  :)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

gallaher432

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 26, 2011, 03:54:28 AM
I saw this on facebook.

This is the one that HGjunkie saw. It's from one of our mutual friends on facebook, from a flight sergeants view. It happened at FLWG's winter enc this year. I thought it was pretty lolish.

0515: Wake up just before basics and discuss the day with flight com
0530: Wake basics up in a reasonable manner
0545: Wake up that one basic that decided to go back to bed
0546: Wake that basic up again
0550: Tell cadets they need to hustle if they want to be ready in time
0600: Safety briefing. Yay!
0615: Formation. Where's my 10th cadet?!
0617: Find missing cadet asleep in tent again.
0630: Breakfast. Eat fast, tell cadets to hurry.
0631: Wake up cadet sleeping in breakfast plate
0715: Talk to fellow squadron members, then sleep in back of bus while going to something cool
0718: Wake up to cadet saying he has to pee
0730: Arrive some place awesome and resist the urge to fall asleep while standing
0732: Take cadets to the port-o-john
0737: Deal with cadet who says he has to pee but didn't have to 5 minutes ago
0745: Begin awesome tour of awesome place
0750: "Where's my flight commander?"
1200: Cadet Officer line staff arrive.
1205: NCOs leave to go back to the tents to rest for a while
1220: Get freaked out by two first sergeants and a random flight sergeant's conversation.
1230: Rest
1330: Everyone comes back early
1335: Get cadets to refill canteens/Camel-Backs
1337: "Chief _______, I need to go fill up my Camel-Back!"
1337: "Why didn't you do it a couple of minutes ago?"
1337: "I dunno"
1340: Drill because we need to fill empty time.
1500: "Aren't we supposed to be doing PT?"
1515: Classroom, catch up on some sleep in back of building
1645: Formation.
1700: Eat supper
1730: Classes, sleep.
2130: Take basics back to tent to go to sleep
2200: Cadets go to sleep
2215: Staff meeting
2250: Staff meeting still taking place "I still need to shower"
2255: Run to latrines to shower and commence personal hygiene
2300: Get chewed for not being in bed in time, explain that cadet staff meeting ran late
2310: Go to bed
Josh Gallaher, C/SMSgt, CAP
AFLT/CCS
SER-FL-432

DakRadz

Yes, he made that in response to mine. The author of the "Flight Sergeant's View" was a fellow basic cadet with me in Delta Flight, GAWG Encampment 2010, and wrote that as a FLWG Flight Sergeant from Summer 2011, I believe.

To be honest, I was half too lazy and half waiting for him to post it himself.
If you would, please edit your post to say "Written by Top Dawg" (his CAPTalk username). That way he gets credit, as he is on this board.

gallaher432

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2011, 02:29:23 PM
Yes, he made that in response to mine. The author of the "Flight Sergeant's View" was a fellow basic cadet with me in Delta Flight, GAWG Encampment 2010, and wrote that as a FLWG Flight Sergeant from Summer 2011, I believe.

To be honest, I was half too lazy and half waiting for him to post it himself.
If you would, please edit your post to say "Written by Top Dawg" (his CAPTalk username). That way he gets credit, as he is on this board.

Yeah, he was Hotel Flight Sergeant at FLWG's winter encampment 2010-2011.
Josh Gallaher, C/SMSgt, CAP
AFLT/CCS
SER-FL-432

gunnysargentbecekett

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 26, 2011, 01:28:24 AM
Actually, this seems reminiscent of encampment. At least to me...there are a few things that are off but hey its a story that isn't supposed to be true.
same for me.

Major Lord

Quote from: gunnysargentbecekett on August 11, 2011, 08:22:50 PM
Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 26, 2011, 01:28:24 AM
same for me.

The saint that the movie character was named after was Thomas a' Becket, who was assassinated for being a "Royal pain", so if you are going to name yourself after him, at least get the spelling right. If you change your name to Carlos Hathcock we will of course have to put you down like a rabid dog. No offense.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eagle

This sounds very similar to an encampment I a friend of mine went may have gone to.  >:D
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on July 26, 2011, 01:10:42 AM

Were this a real encampment, I and almost every former cadet in my squadron would have not only signed up in a heart beat...but Loved every minute of it.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

pilot97

The schedule of a female at encampment

0400: wake up cadet, you're lucky enough to get the last hour of cq
                           0500:cadet, your shift is over, get in your rack!
                           0502: CADETS !! HIT YOUR RACKS!! Last cadet on cq, why did you go back to bed!!!
                           0515: Outside for PT,
       ( one poor cadet in line didn't answer, and was sleepmarching out the door,                          CADET!! WAKE UP THIS IS NOT A VACATION!!
                           0545: Mile run !! Cadets freak out before they start double-time.
                           0600: stand in line for breakfasts
                           0605: get out!! Breakfasts was over 5 minutes ago!!
C/MSgt.

mrcadet

Wake up get mad at that stupid cadet
Get mad again (he won't stand still at attention)
He acts like a retard at mess hall
Etc.etc. he acts like a retard and won't stand still

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: cadet_kovacs on April 30, 2012, 06:01:33 PM

cadet, I'm concerned about your attitude. Looking at your signature, and this post, I'd say you need to correct your attitude.

People have different learning styles, what may be obvious to you, isn't to someone else.

Even if the cadet constantly got in trouble, there is NO REASON to call him "retard" or "stupid." Honestly, I have to think less of YOU. Because of your name-calling.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 06:25:10 PM
Quote from: cadet_kovacs on April 30, 2012, 06:01:33 PM

cadet, I'm concerned about your attitude. Looking at your signature, and this post, I'd say you need to correct your attitude.

People have different learning styles, what may be obvious to you, isn't to someone else.

Even if the cadet constantly got in trouble, there is NO REASON to call him "retard" or "stupid." Honestly, I have to think less of YOU. Because of your name-calling.
Nor is it ok to go professional and always politically correct police on someone either. Lighten up, we all think somebody is stupid because they are extremely incompetent in everything they do sometimes. And if you say you don't, than you are a liar. Now, that does not mean I agree with calling people names because they cannot stand at attention or got in trouble once or twice, but generally if you have a person who just doesn't try and is in a sense a Private Pyle, something is truely wrong with that persons attitude. However, he should use "retard" at all. That word is reserved for private conversations between friends.

CAP4117

Cadet_kovacs, I think it's important to remember with CAPTalk that somewhere there might be a potential cadet reading your comments, or a new cadet who is having trouble. I think the last thing any of us want to do is alienate these folks by breaking our own core values and giving an impression of CAP that is not accurate. I'm not trying to dogpile you by any means, I'm just trying to gently remind you that this is a very public forum, and you never know who could be reading and the impact that your words might have.

mrcadet

you are right i should be more polite i apologize