Main Menu

In-House Fingerprinting

Started by Pylon, January 08, 2007, 05:30:52 PM

How does your unit obtain fingerprints for new members

Local authorities
At the unit
Other

RiverAux

I guess I always ASSumed it was required that the printing be done by a LE agency.  Of course, most CG Aux units do it themselves (and some of their trained fingerprinters are now augmenting CG units where they are fingerprinting mariners). 

Seems to me that this has been one of the hidden hassles of getting a new person into CAP.   Making them go out and find someone to do this seems to be a waste of their time. 

If the CAP units can do it themselves (without too many getting rejected for whatever reasons), then we probably should do it that way. 

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2007, 09:42:34 PM
I guess I always ASSumed it was required that the printing be done by a LE agency.  Of course, most CG Aux units do it themselves (and some of their trained fingerprinters are now augmenting CG units where they are fingerprinting mariners). 

Seems to me that this has been one of the hidden hassles of getting a new person into CAP.   Making them go out and find someone to do this seems to be a waste of their time. 

If the CAP units can do it themselves (without too many getting rejected for whatever reasons), then we probably should do it that way. 

That is one of the reasons why I decided to do my self.  I started to think....it's not like cops have to get a special linsens just to take finger prints.  There is not even a place to put down where the prints were taken, just a name and signature.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nick

Quote from: lordmonar on January 09, 2007, 06:49:50 AM
Can the AFIS printer accept the CAP finger print card?  I was under the impression that CAP could only accept finger prints on their cards with the CAP overprint (which still have the old charter number squares).

Is this not the case anymore?  Can they accept any finger print card now...or does it have to be a specific format?  Anyone?  Bueller?

An FD-258 is an FD-258 ... is an FD-258.  Most every agency has FD-258s with overprinted ORIs on them, and AFIS does not print anything into the ORI block (unless the terminal is specifically configured to do so with an OCR font).  So, if you were to take an FD-258 with CAP overprint and feed it through an AFIS printer, it "might" print something in the reason fingerprinted block, but it won't be nearly large or bold enough to kill the "VOLUNTEER" and charter number.

In other words: If you're sending in a ten-print card, you can use AFIS with CAP's FD-258 card stock.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

afgeo4

or... NHQ could pressure the Air Force to add our members into DEERS so we can be fully secured and so that military installations can feel safer with us being present. It will allow us to switch to the new CAC card which includes biometrics like fingerprints (when you get them taken electronically for DEERS, they can be forwarded to NHQ) our photo (same) and will limit our access only to necessary buildings (using the mag chip and mag strip). NHQ could refund USAF the money currently being spent on ID cards of both kinds in lieu of getting this done. This would also allow our members to shop AAFES online and boost their sales while passing on the savings to our members (freeing up their money for better mission-essential equipment). All this and the federal government gets to have a lot of our info in their computers in case they feel they need to check one of us a little more thoroughly. Also handy if NHQ electronic records get "lost".  Another beneift is our members being able to take AFIADL exams at military control facilities if need be.
GEORGE LURYE

Nick

Brother, we've gone down that road umpteen times.  Yes, the technical provisions are in place where CAP members could be enrolled in DEERS as AF contractors for the purposes you stated, but we run into several snags:

- A fair percentage of members are not within reasonable traveling distance of a RAPIDS enrollment site
- Any civilians/contractors receiving a CAC card must have a NAC (National Agency Check) conducted before they can even receive a CAC; that's time and money
- Right now the DoD "attempts" to maintain a 100% accountability and recovery of CAC cards; I seriously doubt they will recover CAC cards from former members
- The same issue with the CAP photo ID: Membership expires every year, are you going to issue new CAC cards (at roughly $10 a pop) every year?
- Fingerprint capture between DEERS enrollment and a 10-print submission are two totally different animals -- RAPIDS does slap captures of both index fingers; 10-print submission are roll captures of all 10 fingers plus slap captures of all 10 fingers -- the two can't even begin to compare

I can go on, but this issue has come up on quite a few occasions -- in conjunction with the release of the CAC card, the release of the CAP ID card, and several times in between.  It would be nice, but I don't see it happening.  I would rather see CAP just roll out a FIPS-201 compliant ID card for its members.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

Psicorp

I realize I'm talking about a hefty expense here, but couldn't enrollment in DEERS be considered a "perk" with the "purchase" of a three or five year membership?  Going through the effort initially would make participation a lot easier for the next three to five years.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

afgeo4

Quote from: Psicorp on January 10, 2007, 03:16:38 PM
I realize I'm talking about a hefty expense here, but couldn't enrollment in DEERS be considered a "perk" with the "purchase" of a three or five year membership?  Going through the effort initially would make participation a lot easier for the next three to five years.

Not to mention the cost being offset by not having to produce current CAPID cards (no, they're not $10, but they do cost something). Want to make up a little more of the cost? Add $5 to the annual membership dues. That plus the savings on CAPID should make up most of the CAC expenses. The rest the AF should pay for gaining oversight and stronger background checks for people they hire to do missions for america. People in CAP don't mind paying a few extra bucks here and there as long as we know what it's going toward. Heck, most of us pay a lot more after the annual dues clear the checkbook.
GEORGE LURYE

Al Sayre

Heck, I'd give them an extra $20 just to not spend 1/2 hr in the pass office trying to get someone on the phone at MCSS to sponsor me on base to get uniform stuff every time I go.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Nick

Yeah unfortunately that's just a lack of training on the pass and ID office's part.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

afgeo4

Quote from: mclarty on January 10, 2007, 07:44:30 PM
Yeah unfortunately that's just a lack of training on the pass and ID office's part.

Not necessarily. The McGuire AFB gates handle an unprecedented quantity of visitors after 2001 and all must go through the new visitors center to get passes. CAP does not get to skip that procedure. During off peak hours this could take 20-30 minutes. During peak hours... over an hour. I found that if you drive in through the Ft. Dix gate, the MPs just waive you through because they don't know any better... The ID looks funny, but USAF Auxiliary makes sense to them. More sense than it does to the SPs.

NHQ, Region HQs, many Wing HQs, Groups and Squadrons are tenant units on military bases. I wonder... do the NHQ employees and staff wait to get a pass or do they have CACs and DoD vehicle passes? I think the whole system would work better for the DoD installation commanders and force protection personnel if we were all in DEERS and had CACs and vehicle parking stickers. It's an issue of security. Ours and theirs. You'd think after the Khobar Towers the Air Force would be happy to put some money into making sure that personnel and vehicles on bases are authorized properly and efficiently.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 10, 2007, 10:29:01 PM
and vehicle parking stickers.

AFIs already specifically allow Civil Air Patrol members assigned to units on an AF installation to have the DoD sticker for their vehicles.  Print out the appropriate AFI and go see whomever does that at your local installation and get the sticker, if you can.  It may cut down on the access issues if you're having any.  Just an idea.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nick

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 10, 2007, 10:29:01 PM
Not necessarily. The McGuire AFB gates handle an unprecedented quantity of visitors after 2001 and all must go through the new visitors center to get passes. CAP does not get to skip that procedure.

That's correct, our current force protection policy says everyone must have proof of the vehicle being registered (visitor's pass, DD 2220, whatever) and proof of the person operating the vehicle (CAC, CAP ID, visitor's pass, whatever).  What I mean when I say it's just a lack of training on the pass and ID office's part is:

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 10, 2007, 07:12:01 PM
Heck, I'd give them an extra $20 just to not spend 1/2 hr in the pass office trying to get someone on the phone at MCSS to sponsor me on base to get uniform stuff every time I go.

If the pass and ID office was properly trained with respect to the status of CAP members (and/or if the local SFS had an operating instruction that included CAP members as those authorized for base entry, as is the case with my base) then the pass and ID guy wouldn't need to spend a 1/2 hour trying to get someone to sponsor the member onto the base.

That's my point.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

afgeo4

Airman, you're absolutely correct. They just need to issue the vehicle pass.
GEORGE LURYE

arajca

Base access also depends on the base commander's policies. If he says everyone not in DoD or AF has to go through the visitor's center, guess what? You go through the visitor's center.

mikeylikey

I always like to read posts saying CAP members should get CAC cards or be enrolled in DEERS.  I totally agree.  The fact of the matter is the convict recently released from Federal prison gets a job with a civilian contractor as part of the ex-cons to work program and gets a CAC card to get on a post or base.  Yet CAP members who probably have volunteered more time supporting AF missions can't get a vehicle pass to attend a SQD meeting. 

I spoke to some members of a SQD that met at a Joint Reserve base, and they were actually booted from the base after 9/11 because CAP was thought of as a threat.  Funny thing was the JRB was actually a CAP base in WWII, had a SQD that had been active since WWII and met in the same building since WWII.  Today they meet in a church and routinely have members fly missions in support of units at the JRB.  The whole thing is stupid.

CAP can easily be granted a CAC card that denotes them as civilians and I would think that the phrase "NO EXCHANGE OR COMMISSARY BENEFITS" could be stamped on the front of the card. 

A few years ago, I would go to meetings and wear my Army Uniform and stand at the Security Forces gate and vouch for CAP members when my SQD was having similar trouble.  As an Airman, having me an AD Captain stand next to you and say "that is Miss Jones she is dropping her daughter off" pushed the issue across that the Base Commander granted CAP members the ability to register their vehicles. 

I have also run into situations where the guards would not accept my CAP ID.  As soon as I pulled out my CAC, they let me right in.  Access to military posts and bases is not uniform at all.  I feel bad for those members that have trouble getting to meetings.
What's up monkeys?

Nick

On a side question -- has anyone seen or received the new CAC yet?
Texas Wing Staff Guy

mikeylikey

Not yet, but after reading the website, it looks like when we go to the RAPIDS office to get a new card that is expiring we will be issued the new version.  My question, what is a Federal Government Afiliate?  The CAC site addresses issuing the new cards to these afiliates.  They are not listed under the civilian contractor or DoD Civilian section. 
What's up monkeys?

Nick

Well, I know "military affiliate" is the new PC term for "foreign military".  I dunno about Federal Government Affiliate though.

I hope my MPF hurries up and gets the new card stock by October, that'll be the next time I'm up for a new ID card.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

DNall

I bought a fingerprinting kit 10+ years ago for the current Sq, cost about 20 bucks at the time. http://www.galls.com/ looks like 28-40 now. Sure there's cheaper if you look around.

It really is sad we don't get CAC cards. We got a statement of work agreement now, doesn't that make us emergency access or contingency contractors?