Main Menu

Stolen Items

Started by colkemp, July 15, 2011, 04:19:06 PM

colkemp

Has anybody had delt with missing items in their sqaudron? Mine has alot recently. We have had a ef johnson 5100 taken of the charger. We think a cadet took it but were are not sure, but it was also right after a sarex hosted by my unit so you never know. We just had a cadets mac laptop gone missing at a unit meeting. How have you guys delt with stuff like this? With regards to the radio we reported it to IG but im afraid there is nothing else they can do but keep on the look out for it.

davidsinn

Quote from: colkemp on July 15, 2011, 04:19:06 PM
Has anybody had delt with missing items in their sqaudron? Mine has alot recently. We have had a ef johnson 5100 taken of the charger. We think a cadet took it but were are not sure, but it was also right after a sarex hosted by my unit so you never know. We just had a cadets mac laptop gone missing at a unit meeting. How have you guys delt with stuff like this? With regards to the radio we reported it to IG but im afraid there is nothing else they can do but keep on the look out for it.

I'd call the cops. You've just listed over three grand in missing items.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

elipod

Quote from: davidsinn on July 15, 2011, 04:23:56 PM

I'd call the cops. You've just listed over three grand in missing items.

Haha,  +1
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

arajca

On the radio, your communications officer or commander needs to initiate a Report of Survey. If you do call the police, the RoS investigator will need a copy of the police report.

Eclipse

You've got two separate issues, and both require contacting the police.

The missing corporate equipment will require a police report if the assumption is that it was stolen, and a Report Of Survey will have to be done internally.
Right now, whomever had that radio issued to them is on the hook for the full value of the device, which for EFJ HT's is generally listed in the $17-1800 range.  That member may literally have to write a check to CAP, but that won't be determined until after the ROS.

It needs to be reported to the Wing DC immediately.

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Why are cadets bringing laptops to a meeting? Even if they're uber executive staff, I have a hard time imagining for what they would need a laptop.
No longer active on CAP talk

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on July 15, 2011, 07:18:24 PM
Why are cadets bringing laptops to a meeting? Even if they're uber executive staff, I have a hard time imagining for what they would need a laptop.

Access to Manuals, Internal documents, planning, etc.

AngelWings

Has other said, call the cops. It is the smartest thing to do here.

JC004

The police for sure, even if just to take a report at this time.  I had to do this at my non-profit.  As much as you've listed sounds like felony theft in THIS state...

Thrashed

My squadron has nothing of value.

Normally, anything over $400 is considered a felony. Call the police. I hope you catch them.

Save the triangle thingy

jks19714

Time to watch EBay and the local hamfests - EFJ portables are not that common.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

titanII

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 15, 2011, 09:01:13 PM
Again, unless they're Cadet Commander, detc. they don't need that. And as for planning? At least where I'm from, that's done before the activities. :D
No longer active on CAP talk

Al Sayre

I had an EFJ Portable stolen at an airshow.  File a police report and a Report of Survey.  Also contact the local Ham Clubs and radio shops, they are useless unless someone can reprogram it, and those who have the adapters are few and far between.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

vento

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 16, 2011, 02:09:04 AM
I had an EFJ Portable stolen at an airshow.  File a police report and a Report of Survey.  Also contact the local Ham Clubs and radio shops, they are useless unless someone can reprogram it, and those who have the adapters are few and far between.

It is useful for someone to eavesdrop at CAP operations, or to extract the frequencies of our repeaters, etc. The best course of action is as you've pointed out to report to the police and wing DC.

Al Sayre

^^ Only if they have an EFJ Battery charger to go with it, otherwise it's a brick after a few hours...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: vento on July 16, 2011, 05:18:49 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on July 16, 2011, 02:09:04 AM

It is useful for someone to eavesdrop at CAP operations, or to extract the frequencies of our repeaters, etc. The best course of action is as you've pointed out to report to the police and wing DC.

You can eavesdrop on our ops using a scanner and Google.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Daniel

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 16, 2011, 11:26:57 AM
^^ Only if they have an EFJ Battery charger to go with it, otherwise it's a brick after a few hours...

What if they come back to the scene of the crime for a chaaaarge?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Patterson

Quote from: titanII on July 16, 2011, 02:03:09 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 15, 2011, 09:01:13 PM
Again, unless they're Cadet Commander, detc. they don't need that. And as for planning? At least where I'm from, that's done before the activities. :D

Your joking right?  Each squadron is lucky to have a single working laptop.  Ideally the Cadet program is run by the Cadets, thus there may be legitimate needs for Cadets using personal laptops. Welcome to 2011, pencils and paper are being replaced by ipads and technology in elementary schools.

Perhaps your Squadron is super rich and provides a computer for use, but most are not. Most rely on the single laptop that was issued a few years back.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2011, 04:49:06 PM

Right now, whomever had that radio issued to them is on the hook for the full value of the device, which for EFJ HT's is generally listed in the $17-1800 range.  That member may literally have to write a check to CAP, but that won't be determined until after the ROS.
Actually all radio equipment is NOT issued to individuals.  Much of the equipment is actually issued to a squadron and there's a custodian (normally the comm officer) who oversees the equipment (generally likely others that may have access to the equipment -- since the comm officer may not always be available when the equipment is needed).    I would think that having it in a charger in the unit headquarters would be a pretty normal thing to do.  IF we now have to worry about people stealing radios in chargers in our building while occupied, we've (that unit) got some very serious problems that need to be addressed (and I would guess it's the same person who stole the computer that stole the radio, so likely is a squadron member).   With police report, I doubt anyone is going to be happy about this -- be interested to hear how the Report of Survey turns out.

RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 16, 2011, 05:14:11 PM

Actually all radio equipment is NOT issued to individuals.  Much of the equipment is actually issued to a squadron and there's a custodian (normally the comm officer) who oversees the equipment (generally likely others that may have access to the equipment -- since the comm officer may not always be available when the equipment is needed).

In a lot of wings anything not issued to an individual would be a finding on an SUI, but regardless, the squadron CC and / or Comm Officer is not the "custodian" of equipment. They are personally and financially responsible for that equipment should it turn up missing or be damaged due to negligence.

I know of several cases where EFJ's were lost, stolen, or damaged, and in none of them did the member responsible ultimately have to pay for the equipment (mostly because they followed the reporting rules on these situations), but that doesn't mean I'm going to leave the $5000 worth of CAP toys in my name anywhere that isn't locked and secured, or when loaned, borrowed with a Form 37.

Whomever the "end point" of the issue chain in this story is, they should be concerned about the potential for writing a large check, and should have notified wing and the police the minute things went missing.  It is flabbergasting why people don't take these sorts of steps immediately.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2011, 07:15:04 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 16, 2011, 05:14:11 PM

Actually all radio equipment is NOT issued to individuals.  Much of the equipment is actually issued to a squadron and there's a custodian (normally the comm officer) who oversees the equipment (generally likely others that may have access to the equipment -- since the comm officer may not always be available when the equipment is needed).

In a lot of wings anything not issued to an individual would be a finding on an SUI,

Based upon what?  The equipment is assigned to the unit as per regulations.  It would be a finding if when asked where a specific radio was and the answer was "so and so" has it and the radio was not issued to that person in ORMS.

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BillB

I('ve found with all the CAP material online and available for download, cadets have great use of laptops. Cadet officers have regulations and manuals at their fingertips. The CAC cvan see what prior CAC's have attempted or accomplished.
I get 15 susplus laptops transferred from the University of Florida for distribution to the CAC Group and Wing CAC Chairs. They were shipped to the Wing DCP and unheard of since then. They never were distributed to the CAC.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on July 16, 2011, 09:37:36 PMBased upon what?  The equipment is assigned to the unit as per regulations.  It would be a finding if when asked where a specific radio was and the answer was "so and so" has it and the radio was not issued to that person in ORMS.

Correction, it's the "location" that has to be entered in the inventory, not a person, specifically, though I do recall
several nags to have everything issued to "someone".  May have been a misguided attempt to show everything being used.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2011, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on July 16, 2011, 09:37:36 PMBased upon what?  The equipment is assigned to the unit as per regulations.  It would be a finding if when asked where a specific radio was and the answer was "so and so" has it and the radio was not issued to that person in ORMS.

Correction, it's the "location" that has to be entered in the inventory, not a person, specifically, though I do recall
several nags to have everything issued to "someone".  May have been a misguided attempt to show everything being used.

You are correct, ORMS has to have a location for each asset.  You cannot accept any equipment without typing in the location as ORMS kicks it out with an error message.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JC004

Quote from: BillB on July 16, 2011, 09:43:50 PM
I get 15 susplus laptops transferred from the University of Florida for distribution to the CAC Group and Wing CAC Chairs. They were shipped to the Wing DCP and unheard of since then. They never were distributed to the CAC.

wth?!

speak to legal about allocation of assets with specific donor intentions.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on July 17, 2011, 02:31:48 AM
Quote from: BillB on July 16, 2011, 09:43:50 PM

wth?!
I think that's why it's important to get the contributor to give you a letter specifically stating what they want the donated assets utilized for.  This would prevent this from occurring.

However, I've got to wonder IF you asked them about it and what their answer was ???

RM   

Short Field

You need to initiate a ROS to find out what happened to the 15 laptops.   8)   The computers should be on the unit or wing's inventory list.  If they are not, then they are missing.  Missing equipment is either lost or stolen.   For all you know, they made great Christmas gifts for a bunch of grandchildren.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640