Question about ROA

Started by HGjunkie, May 24, 2011, 08:51:38 PM

HGjunkie

I have an odd situation with the BCUT training.

I've taken the course twice, and unless it's not the entire course (I've seen a powerpoint presentation and had a classroom activity) I've never been qualified for BCUT into any database I have access to (eServices, FLWG ROA query). I've also talked to my CC about this, and haven't been able to find out why I've never been put into the system as BCUT qualified.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Al Sayre

Most likely, because it's fairly new to OpsQuals as a separate qualification, and you haven't done an SQTR that required it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

Probably should elaborate on the training environments: The first time was a class during encampment for the staff for about 4 hours, and the second time was during a UDF training day for about an hour.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Has it ever been documented at Wing? Do you have a physical BCUT card? If so, put it into the system. See below.

All that may be OBE, depending on your wing. Here in CAWG, BCUTs are only good for two years.

The old entry into the SQTRs was done by the member, and validated by your ESO or CC.

Now, there's a specific place to document it, and the capacity to upload a scanned document, which you, as the member, should do. Again, validation is done by the ESO or CC.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

I never got a card showing I did the class. I *think* I was supposed to be mailed one, but my memory is hazy on that part. So, I don't have the ability to upload a document. Guess I have to wait 'till the next BCUT class.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Is there any kind of record from the encampment? Somebody, somewhere, should have a record.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: SarDragon on May 24, 2011, 09:23:39 PM
Is there any kind of record from the encampment? Somebody, somewhere, should have a record.

I have no clue. I signed a piece of paper saying I attended the class, but I don't know if that's even in existence anymore.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

vento

Does FLWG use WMU?

We in CAWG still use this piece of old technology to record and track ROA and every member can print a new ROA card from the WMU.

ol'fido

Here in IL, there is a list put out by wing of persons authorized to teach and sign off on BCUT/ACUT training. Unless you BCUT is done or proctored by one of those individuals(or SETs), it will not count. In your wing, IDK.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

HGjunkie

Quote from: vento on May 24, 2011, 09:49:25 PM
Does FLWG use WMU? 

No clue.

Quote from: ol'fido on May 24, 2011, 09:58:01 PM
Here in IL, there is a list put out by wing of persons authorized to teach and sign off on BCUT/ACUT training. Unless you BCUT is done or proctored by one of those individuals(or SETs), it will not count. In your wing, IDK.

Never seen a list like that. But, I think the individuals who proctored the classes were well qualified to teach it (A Comms officer and an IC).
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

The problem is qualified versus authorized.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

HGjunkie

Quote from: ol'fido on May 24, 2011, 10:12:47 PM
The problem is qualified versus authorized.

Ahh, understood.

It's no biggie, I can wait until the next ROA class comes around my area and go to that. I just wish the previous classes had been documented in some way.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

sneakers

I've been through 2 BCUT classes myself, and though others got the cards, I never did. But then, my Wing staff isn't known for being organized. They lose paperwork CONSTANTLY!  >:(

FastAttack

if you are not on this list you do not have an ROA:

http://roa.communimatics.com/

gl

Al Sayre

Quote from: FastAttack on May 25, 2011, 03:04:56 AM

gl

That's FL wing specific.  It doesn't show mine and I have both BCUT & ACUT
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DH

Several things to consider here.
1st, ROA is Radio Operator Authorization. Radio operators are "authorized" by the Wing DC or designee. Once authorized, a member's authorization can be revoked by a Wing or higher Commander. The question of authorization should be directed to the Wing Director of Communication for answer.

An ROA card was required under the old CAP Reg. 100-1. It is no longer required as long as the Wing maintains a data base.

2nd, minimum training required for an ROA is BCUT. Completion of BCUT does not  necessarily grant authorization. Wings may allow automatic authorization if they choose, but are not required to do so.

It has only recently (in CAP terms) been set up so that BCUT and ACUT can show up on the 101 cards. Many Wings, including mine, are working through a backlog of training records. Again, this shows training completed, not necessarly authorization.

Short answer, email the DC for guidance, preferrably through the Unit Communications Officer so that everyone is one the same page.

lordmonar

If they have successfully completed the training.....why aren't they authorised to use radios?

This sort of thing is why CAP communications program really get's my blood boiling.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 25, 2011, 12:38:24 PM
Quote from: FastAttack on May 25, 2011, 03:04:56 AM

gl

That's FL wing specific.  It doesn't show mine and I have both BCUT & ACUT
The OP is from FLWG.

HGjunkie

I checked the communimatics site, I'm listed nowhere in it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

lordmonar

If you got proof of you BCUT and ACUT you can enter it into E-Services yourself.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP