Flying airplane image in Google maps.

Started by 4fhoward, May 22, 2011, 05:41:41 AM

4fhoward

While poking around in Google maps I found this image of a plane on final for runway 2 at the Hillsboro airport in Oregon.
The location is  5.532628°N 122.951313°W  http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.532628,-122.951313&spn=0.01,0.01&t=h&q=45.532628,-122.951313

SarDragon

Go to Google Earth Community, and search for "aircraft in flight". There are several KMZ files available that show all kinds of planes in flight, at  a great variety of altitudes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Your challenge: find a CAP aircraft in flight in Google's imagery.

Here's a bunch of CAP aircraft on the ground: http://goo.gl/maps/cavb

SarDragon

IIRC, that's where they do paint jobs and interior refurbs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

That's the centralized maintenance place.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vento

Quote from: JC004 on May 22, 2011, 10:12:10 PM

That's a lot of aircrafts out of flight mission ready status.  :(

Spaceman3750

Quote from: vento on May 22, 2011, 10:56:22 PM

I only count 7 with CAP markings. That's just over 1% of the fleet. Not a big deal IMHO.

vento

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 22, 2011, 11:24:23 PM
Quote from: vento on May 22, 2011, 10:56:22 PM

I only count 7 with CAP markings. That's just over 1% of the fleet. Not a big deal IMHO.

It depends on how we look at the numbers. Not a big deal only if you consider 7 aircraft against the nationwide fleet. Isn't centralized maintenance done on Wing level? Here in CAWG we have two contractors for centralized maintenance, one for NorCal and one for SoCal.

If it's done on Wing level, then 7 aircraft out of service in any Wing is a rather large percentage of inactive aircraft not ready to perform the missions.

SarDragon

No, this is equivalent to depot level maintenance, like painting and interior refurbs, as noted above. The planes in the pic belong to wings all over the country. There's possibly even a CAWG asset in there.

Currently there are 6 CAP a/c there - 5 for maintenance, or awaiting sale, and the local NJWG asset.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vento

Thanks SarDragon for the extra clarification. I thought it was the Wing level 100 hours inspection type of centralized maintenance.

Huey Driver

There's 8 at KVAY for some reason. There's only normally 1 or 2 there.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

If you are referring to the linked imagery, it's old. Please read the entire thread. There's an explanation up there, really. Twice, even. The one or two you usually see are the Air Victory Squadron's planes. All the ones in the GM image belong to other units, and they are grounded for various reasons.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Huey Driver

I was referring to the most recent imagery, and I read the whole thread.
I'm also aware that the other aircraft belong to other units and just happen to be grounded at Air Victory. KVAY does have small aircraft repair too, so that is also probably a centralized maintenance place or a depot- level facility.

2 other planes in South Jersey are 2 of NER's gliders; Schweizer N5742S and Super Blanik N352BA. They are visible on a closed taxiway at KOBI.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

JC004

This seems unusually complicated.  I looked there specifically because I figured there was the potential for a number of aircraft there since it is the central maintenance place.  I've flown in a/c being moved down there for whatever maintenance had to be done.  I also recalled whining about too many a/c being held up there, so I knew to look there.