Humor: CAP Form 5 endorsement for Orientation Flight Pilot

Started by smithwr2, May 03, 2011, 06:40:42 AM

smithwr2

As we CAP pilots all know, if you want to add an endorsement to your Form 5, you need to read Section 3-3 of 60-1 "Abbreviated CAPF 5 Check Rides",  which requires:

.... "such maneuvers as necessary during the flight check for the new endorsement." ....

So I was wondering, what are the necessary maneuvers that apply to Cadet Orientation Flight Pilot?  As I have flown a fair number of these over the past few years, I can recommend learning the following maneuvers for the O-Ride pilot endorsement:

1)  recognizing airsickness when the cadet repeatedly tells you 'Oh no, I'm just finebwaaaaaffff!!!"   :clap:

2) Flight maneuver:  Decrease speed to near MCA so you can open the window to really cool the cabin fast. 

3)  the reach-back-and-snatch-out-the-vomit-bag-and-deploy-maneuver, within 3 seconds.  Failing success in achieving that maneuver, proceed to: 

4)  Flight maneuver:  the chop-and-drop maneuver to deposit projectile vomit onto the runway or side of airframe, rather than the interior.  Helpful to bring spray brake cleaner should it get into the brake linings. 
Failing success in achieving that maneuver, proceed to: 

5)  the scrubbing-of-biohazard-waste maneuver with warm disinfectant and water (you think I'm kidding?  CAP has Biohazard safety rules), and lest we forget the...

6)  The picking-projectile-vomit-out-of-aircraft-crevices maneuver (detail equipment required);   and my personal favorite...

7)  The picking projectile-vomit-out-of-favorite-headset-microphone-crevices maneuver, cuz cadet did not remember the Puke with Pride procedures to raise the mic.

8 )  Demonstrating the how-to-position-the-microphone-so-it-stays-out-cadet's-nostrils maneuver.

9)  Intercom systems knowledge:  how to isolate back seat cadets when they continue to make clicking sounds into the mic despite repeated warnings.

10)  The "Don't Make Me Stop This Plane" fist pumping maneuver for when the back seat (male) cadets are twisting each others nipples and will not stop giggling during the entire orientation flight

...and so much more that I have blocked out and cannot recall....
...but I do vaguely recall there was that one O-Ride...ah here it is: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNK9DiP1oV8

Oh the things they don't tell you in the Pamphlet....

NCRblues

I know this is going to sound very bad....but i cant stop laughing about that video....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SARDOC

Spaceman3750

Quote from: smithwr2 on May 03, 2011, 06:40:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNK9DiP1oV8

That looks like a lot of fun minus the activities on the left and excessive stress on the airframe... I had the sound muted on my computer though due to where I'm sitting so I probably missed half of it.

ol'fido

Went on a photo recon sortie Sat. We had strong winds coming out of the south. Guess which way we had to fly to get to our target area. Turbulence had us from takeoff to landing to one degree or another. I lasted about an hour and a half before I had to reach for the ziploc bag. Sunday, I went to the store and got Dramamine, Wet Wipes, Febreze Spray(travel size), and Mentos for the breath. All this and two or three ziploc bags went into another ziploc bag and the whole went into my flight kit.

This was my first sortie after I got my MS qual. :P :-[
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Hint for barf bags (I use quart Ziplocs) - before you put them in your flight bag or flight suit pocket, stuff a paper towel in the bottom. It helps minimize the external mess and spillage if you're still in turbulence, and makes it a bit less ugly to the other folks in the plane. A stewardess taught me that years ago.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on May 04, 2011, 06:38:00 AM
Hint for barf bags (I use quart Ziplocs) - before you put them in your flight bag or flight suit pocket, stuff a paper towel in the bottom. It helps minimize the external mess and spillage if you're still in turbulence, and makes it a bit less ugly to the other folks in the plane. A stewardess taught me that years ago.
When I was crewing a couple years ago, I'd keep barf bags in my vest, readily accessible. One one flight, I ended up giving a passenger my last one. A week later, I ended up on a cross country to an airport that had a decent FBO counter, so I asked them if they had any.

I used the term "barf bag" and "Sic Sac", but the woman behind the counter didn't know what I was talking about. Finally, I just told her I needed something that someone could puke in. She showed me some "comfort pouches" that they had. I said, "Yep, that's what I need. How many can I get for 15 bucks?" She looked at me funny, and then asked me if I had a problem with vomiting so much. Told her, "No, but I have passengers that do." She made me a deal, ten bags for $15.

It still puzzles me that people don't keep these things around on any bird. Although, I've never barfed on a flight, I always have at least three of them on me when I fly. I've given away more than a few of them.

Mark_Wheeler

I carry a couple of trash bags. They'll never fill it and there really isn't an issue with aiming our anything.

Mark

SarDragon

Trash bags are way too big. They are unwieldy, and easier to puncture than smaller Ziplocs. If you really need something BIG, go to a gallon bag, but nothing larger. I speak from personal experience.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

md

Or take the safest (for everyone else) approach: do it down your shirt. You wash well, as do your clothes, and you always have it with you...

That said, my passengers who had trouble were the ones who forgot to eat before they went, and all of them were OK after I gave them a granola bar (thankfully!)

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on May 04, 2011, 08:19:15 PM
Trash bags are way too big. They are unwieldy, and easier to puncture than smaller Ziplocs. If you really need something BIG, go to a gallon bag, but nothing larger. I speak from personal experience.

We used to carry the 30 gallon trash bags for orientation flights. Good for those group pukes!
They also make a nice big target! :clap:

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on May 04, 2011, 08:19:15 PM
Try these: http://www.glad.com/trashbags/large/black_bags

SarDragon

Nah. Smaller bags confine the smell better, and are much easier to remove from the aircraft at the end of the flight.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Do the effects of motion sickness last for a few days? I haven't felt 100% since then. Last night I was feeling queasy again. So I took one of my Dramamine and felt a lot better afterward.

vento

Quote from: ol'fido on May 05, 2011, 02:33:55 PM
Do the effects of motion sickness last for a few days? I haven't felt 100% since then. Last night I was feeling queasy again. So I took one of my Dramamine and felt a lot better afterward.

From Web MD:
Symptoms usually go away soon after the motion stops. Sometimes it can take a few days for symptoms to go away. You may become used to motion during extended trips, such as on a cruise. If that happens, your symptoms may subside. But when you are back on land, the lack of motion can cause symptoms to return for a short time.

Usually, symptoms go away within 3 days of the end of a trip. If they do not, see your doctor. You may have another condition that causes nausea and vomiting, such as stomach flu or an inner ear problem.

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on May 05, 2011, 06:53:36 AM
Nah. Smaller bags confine the smell better, and are much easier to remove from the aircraft at the end of the flight.
But, but, ... they smell like Febreeze! Febreeze makes everything smell good!  ;)

And they're really strong, too!   ;D

Walkman

I'm usually very prone to getting motion sickness. I got a pair of those "Sea Bands" and a bottle of OTC Anti-Vert. So far (knock on wood) I've been just peachy.

SABRE17

Or we could stop having doughnuts and coffee at mission base??? 

Hawk200

Quote from: SABRE17 on May 10, 2011, 02:27:13 AM
Or we could stop having doughnuts and coffee at mission base???
Donuts and coffee should be fine. Greasy bacon, sausage, eggs, and a few other things are where there's really a tendency to get sick. And you don't even need to be in the air for a lot of that to happen.