"CAP Airplane Pilot" vs "CAP Pilot Rating" ??

Started by ande.boyer, December 31, 2006, 11:14:52 PM

ande.boyer

Does anyone know the difference between being a "CAP Airplane Pilot" and having a "CAP Pilot Rating" ??

I was just browsing through the CAPWATCH database for my wing and noticed there are 116 "CAP Airplane Pilot's" but only 30 people with the "CAP Pilot Rating."  The 60-1 contains language that to be a "CAP Pilot" you have to have current medical, Form 5, etc but haven't been able to find anything that precribes the requirements for a "CAP Pilot Rating."

If anyone could shed some light on this mystery, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Ande Boyer, 1Lt, CAP

SJFedor

CAP Airplane pilot is the designation you have when your form 5 and all the required documents are current and in the system. CAP Pilot rating is the designation for the "ranking" of what kind of pilot you are, i.e. what set of wings you wear. If you search, you might see some CAP Senior Pilot rating and CAP Command Pilot rating. Those are people with 1000 hours and 3 years in and 2000 hours and 5 years in, respectively. There's also CAP Solo pilot rating, CAP Cadet Pre-solo rating, CAP Glider pilot rating, etc etc.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

lordmonar

Mission Pilot is a specific SQTR rating.  You can be a CAP pilot with a CAPF 5 and medial, authorized to fly CAP aircraft as PIC but still not be qualified to be a Mission Pilot (it take 175 hours PIC (with 50 hours cross country) to start Mission Pilot training.

The CAPWATCH database is probably making a distinction between "Transport pilots" (I think that their official designation) and "Mission Pilots".  Which one is which...I have no idea.  I would call your wing DO, I'm sure he would know.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

Don't forget you keep your wings (pilot rating) after you're no longer current & qual'd. I have observer on mine for instance, but am not current. Granted though the terms could be cleaned up a little to make more sense of it.

Al Sayre

I think I can save you a trip to the 60-1, here's the quick and dirty: 

A "Transport Mission Pilot" can do just that, fly transport missions; material, people, anything he/she could transport from point A to point B in a regular civilian airplane. 

A "Mission Pilot" gets some additional training (and a check ride) in order to fly low and slow in specific patterns while taking directions from the Mission Observer who handles the navigation and controls the mission.  The Mission Pilot is essentially an airborne taxi driver whose job is to put the airplane where the Observer tells him and make sure he doesn't run into anything or fall out of the sky.  Now that's not always the way it works, but the basic idea is that the "Mission Pilot" is relieved of other duties so he/she can concentrate on safely manuvering the aircraft at slow speeds and low altitude, the most dangerous part of the envelope.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Yes but the problem is that CAPWATCH is not listing them as "Transport Pilots" and "Mission Pilots".  That is where the confusion is coming in.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SJFedor

Who said anything about mission pilots? He was asking the difference between the CAP Airplane Pilot designation and the CAP Pilot rating designation, not the Mission Pilot designation.

MP's are always TMP's, but TMP's aren't always MP's. TMP requirement is 100 hours PIC with 50 hours XC and a current F5, no training required. MP requires 200 pic, 50 hours XC, and the MP SQTR completed, along with a current F5 and F91.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on January 03, 2007, 12:26:54 AM
Yes but the problem is that CAPWATCH is not listing them as "Transport Pilots" and "Mission Pilots".  That is where the confusion is coming in.

The original question had nothing to do with mission piot. It was airplane pilot vs CAP pilot.

arajca

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 03, 2007, 03:57:27 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 03, 2007, 12:26:54 AM

The original question had nothing to do with mission piot. It was airplane pilot vs CAP pilot.
Close, but no cigar. "CAP Airplane Pilot" vs "CAP Pilot Rating"