Before Promotion, How much should a Cadet Know?

Started by abysmal, March 16, 2005, 03:04:32 PM

abysmal

Have been thinking about a lot of the little things that my Cadets don't seem to know and wondering just how much I can ask of them.

Came across what I think is a simply terrific Extra-Curricular knowledge list for Cadets to posess prior to promotion.

Would like to hear some comments on this..
=============

Cadets are expected to be able to recite any information on this page during any inspection.

What you have to know:

c/Airman Basic --- After Four weeks from joining:
Cadet Oath
"I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol cadet program, and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation."

CAP Motto
"Semper Vigilans" - Latin for "Always Vigilant"

Safety Pledge
"I pledge to do my part to foster a safe environment during all CAP activities, to be a responsible steward of CAP resources and to fully prepare myself for the challenging missions that serve America."

CAPID #
Chain of Command Thru Flight Sergeant

c/Amn-c/SrA:
Cadet Oath
CAP Motto
Safety Pledge
CAPID #
Chain of Command Thru Squadron CC
Element Leader
Flight Sergeant
1st Sergent
Flight Commander
XO
Deputy Cadet Commander
Cadet Commander
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Squadron Commander
12 General Orders of the interior Guard
1.) Take charge of this post and all designated property in view.
2.) Walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing anything within my sight or hearing.
3.) Report all violations of the orders I am instructed to enforce.
4.) Repeat all calls from other posts.
5.) Quit my post only when properly relieved.
6.) Receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the commander, officer of the day, officers and non-commissioned officers of the guard
7.) Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
8.) Spread alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9.) Call the sergeant of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.
10.) Salute all officers, colors and standards not encased.
11.) To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, challenge all persons who come on or near my post.
12.) To show no force or use no force in the execution of my duties.
Squadron SOPs
Honor Code

"We will not lie, steal or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does.
Furthermore, I resolve to do my duty and live honorably, so help me God."

CAP Missions
1.) Aerospace education
2.) Cadet programs
3.) Emergency services
Squadron Name & Charter #London Bridge Composite Squadron 501, SWR-AZ-112Group Name
???
Wing Name
Arizona Wing
Region Name
Southwest Region
CAP Core Values
1.) Integrity
2.) Volunteer Service
3.) Excellence
4.) Respect

Military Date & Time
In the military date system, it goes:
1. Day
2. Month
3. Year
An example would be:
1 January 2004
Military Time:
1:00   AM = 0100 Hours
2:00   AM = 0200 Hours
3:00   AM = 0300 Hours
4:00   AM = 0400 Hours
5:00   AM = 0500 Hours
6:00   AM = 0600 Hours
7:00   AM = 0700 Hours
8:00   AM = 0800 Hours
9:00   AM = 0900 Hours
10:00 AM = 1000 Hours
11:00 AM = 1100 Hours
12:00 PM  = 1200 Hours
1:00    PM = 1300 Hours
2:00    PM = 1400 Hours
3:00    PM = 1500 Hours
4:00    PM = 1600 Hours
5:00    PM = 1700 Hours
6:00    PM = 1800 Hours
7:00    PM = 1900 Hours
8:00    PM = 2000 Hours
9:00    PM = 2100 Hours
10:00  PM = 2200 Hours
11:00  PM = 2300 Hours
12:00 AM = 0000 Hours

Organization of CAP
8 Regions
52 Wings, including Washingon DC and Puerto Rico Wings

c/SSgt-c/MSgt:
Cadet Oath
CAP Motto
Safety Pledge
CAPID #
Chain of Command Thru NHQ
Group Commander
Wing Commander
Region Commander
National Commander

12 General Orders of the interior Guard
Squadron SOPs
Honor Code
CAP Missions
Squadron Name & Charter #
Group Name
Wing Name
Region Name
CAP Core Values
Military Date & Time
Organization of CAP
Ground Team General Orders
1.) I will take charge of my post, securing and protecting all personnel and property for which I am responsible until I am properly relieved.
2.) I will report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce and will call my superior in any case not covered by instructions.
3.) I will give alarm in case of fire or emergency.
4.) I will use no force or show of force in the execution of my duties.

Know and understand CAPP 50-5
Phonetic Alphabet

A Alpha
B Bravo
C Charlie
D Delta
E Echo
F Foxtrot
G Golf
H Hotel
I India
J Juliet
K Kilo
L Lima
M Mike
N November
O Oscar
P Papa
Q Quebec
R Romeo
S Sierra
T Tango
U Uniform
V Victory
W Whiskey
X X-ray
Y Yankee
Z Zulu

c/SMSgt up:
Know everything on this list
Have a good understanding of CAP Regs, Forms and Manuals
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

I'd take out the 12 General Orders of the Interior Guard... I understand it was included in the previous Leadership Laboratory, but was not included in Leadership 2000: And Beyond .  I had to learn them WIWAC and it was included in our squadrons Basic Cadet Training Handbooks, but in reality it serves no practical purpose other than as memory work IMO... CQ and Fire Watch never was taken all that seriously and was only used at overnight activities and cadets where never really trained to properly perform sentry tasks... To be honest I don't think most cadets put two and two together with regard to the General Orders.

Change the cadet grades from c/Amn etc to C/Amn per CAPR 52-16.

Change SOPs to OIs - Operating Instructions (USAF Terminology).

Debatable on the "Ground Team General Orders"... Its more specific to CAP than the 12 General Orders, but also is a GTM task which generally is not something I would consider common knowledge for all cadets to memorize.

Again, try to stick to stuff that cadets really need to learn in the course of their normal cadet training... Stick to stuff that would be common to all cadets, not just cadets in your squadron.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Thanks for your comments Mike.
A little editing and we might just come up with something usefull here!

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on March 16, 2005, 03:50:57 PM

Whats in error?
Cadet Airman Basic C/AB
Cadet Airman C/Amn
Cadet Airman First Class C/A1C
Cadet Senior Airman C/SrA
Cadet Staff Sergeant C/SSgt
Cadet Technical Sergeant C/TSgt
Cadet Master Sergeant C/MSgt
Cadet Senior Master Sergeant C/SMSgt
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant C/CMSgt

Cadet Second Lieutenant C/2d Lt
Cadet First Lieutenant C/1st Lt
Cadet Captain C/Capt
Cadet Major C/Maj
Cadet Lieutenant Colonel C/Lt Col
Cadet Colonel C/Col

abysmal

Again, try to stick to stuff that cadets really need to learn in the course of their normal cadet training... Stick to stuff that would be common to all cadets, not just cadets in your squadron.

Any thoughts on what I might have MISSED in this list that should be added to it??

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on March 16, 2005, 05:18:53 PM

Whats in error?
Cadet Airman Basic C/AB
Cadet Airman C/Amn
Cadet Airman First Class C/A1C
Cadet Senior Airman C/SrA
Cadet Staff Sergeant C/SSgt
Cadet Technical Sergeant C/TSgt
Cadet Master Sergeant C/MSgt
Cadet Senior Master Sergeant C/SMSgt
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant C/CMSgt

Cadet Second Lieutenant C/2d Lt
Cadet First Lieutenant C/1st Lt
Cadet Captain C/Capt
Cadet Major C/Maj
Cadet Lieutenant Colonel C/Lt Col
Cadet Colonel C/Col

I think Mike meant just be sure you use capital C/ instead of a lower-case c/, as per regulation the capital C/ for cadet grades is the appropriate one to use.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on March 16, 2005, 07:50:49 PM

I think Mike meant just be sure you use capital C/ instead of a lower-case c/, as per regulation the capital C/ for cadet grades is the appropriate one to use.  :)

AHHH
Thanks.
I did NOT catch that.

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 16, 2005, 07:55:12 PM
Quote from: Pylon on March 16, 2005, 07:50:49 PM

AHHH
Thanks.
I did NOT catch that.

Exactly... I know it's nit-picky but thems da regs.

Quote from: abysmal on March 16, 2005, 05:22:06 PM

Any thoughts on what I might have MISSED in this list that should be added to it??

A lot of what you have already is what I had for memory work WIWAC...  You may wish to go through the first three chapters of Leadership: 2000: And Beyond SE to get some idea of what NHQ expects phase I cadets to know knowledge wise... I'd focus my efforts there... Memory work is somewhat less effective as a training tool for the other phases IMO.  Don't go overboard... Memory work which does not have a practical application within a normal sqauadron meeting is pretty pointless and a waste of space on the biological hard drive we call the brain.

What I particularly liked about our BCT OIs was that they had all our memory work, squadron policies relating to Cadet Programs, uniform requirements per CAPM 39-1 (with illustrations) etc... And it fit easily into a BDU trouser pocket.  What was great about them is that you received them within the first week or so of showing up to meetings and provided enough info to make a C/AB well off without having revived his membership packet yet.

I'd like to see pictures of every CAP grade Cadet and Senior as well as a ribbon chart added if you were going this route.  I still have copies of some old squadron BCT OIs as well as MAWG Encampment OIs which are similar, so I can use them to help with layout etc if you are interested.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

We currently have NO program of any sort for the new basic cadets.
They are left to flounder on their own at the moment.

So I will GREATFULLY accept ANY help your willing to Offer me!!

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 16, 2005, 10:31:51 PM
We currently have NO program of any sort for the new basic cadets.
They are left to flounder on their own at the moment.

So I will GREATFULLY accept ANY help your willing to Offer me!!

The BCT OIs I have from my cadet daze in my former squadron were intended for self study within a squadron which was continually accepting new cadets.  My current squadron has an in-depth Basic Cadet Training program tailored to the squadron which takes a number of weeks of group study and training and relies on only accepting new cadets once each BCT flight completes its training cycle.  I might be able to send you copies of these training materials if I can get them through my chain of command.  I have it on paper, but I probably can send you the word docs.

I've done a few of these flight based BCT programs since I joined Minute Man and its a very comprehensive program, but IMO, in some ways the self study program from WIWAC in my former squadron was the better program when it was properly implemented.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on March 17, 2005, 03:50:57 AM

The BCT OIs I have from my cadet daze in my former squadron were intended for self study within a squadron which was continually accepting new cadets.  My current squadron has an in-depth Basic Cadet Training program tailored to the squadron which takes a number of weeks of group study and training and relies on only accepting new cadets once each BCT flight completes its training cycle.  I might be able to send you copies of these training materials if I can get them through my chain of command.  I have it on paper, but I probably can send you the word docs.

I've done a few of these flight based BCT programs since I joined Minute Man and its a very comprehensive program, but IMO, in some ways the self study program from WIWAC in my former squadron was the better program when it was properly implemented.

Honestly, that would be simply tremendous.
Right now we are taking on new cadets every 2-3 weeks and there is NO organized program of bringing them into the sqaudron. I think it would be of great advantage to have some kind of an organized entry plan for the new cadets who join up.

Basic Training is clearly something we could get a LOT of use out of.

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on March 17, 2005, 02:42:45 PM
Quote from: MIKE on March 17, 2005, 03:50:57 AM

Honestly, that would be simply tremendous.
Right now we are taking on new cadets every 2-3 weeks and there is NO organized program of bringing them into the sqaudron. I think it would be of great advantage to have some kind of an organized entry plan for the new cadets who join up.

Basic Training is clearly something we could get a LOT of use out of.

I also recommend using some sort of system to regulate incoming cadets, and perhaps as was suggested, aligning it with an orientation program for your recruits.  For example, have the first week of the month or something established as the "In-processing" date for the month (or even once a quarter).  All the interested cadets up until that point can spend their time observing, filling out their paperwork, and learning more about CAP to see if it's really for them.  On your in-processing meeting, you can accept the applications, hold your membership review boards to see if they should be allowed to join CAP, and at the closing formation you can swear them all in with a nice little ceremony for mom and pop.  :)

Makes things simpler for admin purposes, and allows incoming groups of cadets to process through an orientation program together, not staggered and all at different levels of progress.

abysmal

Sigh..
We are SO unorganized by comparison.
We do In-Processing EVERY meeting.
I have never seen a membership review board of any kind.
Nor have I ever seen a cadet "Sworn-In" or any type of a new member cerimony.

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal
Sigh..
We are SO unorganized by comparison.
We do In-Processing EVERY meeting.
I have never seen a membership review board of any kind.
Nor have I ever seen a cadet "Sworn-In" or any type of a new member cerimony.

It's not that hard to implement something.  Make some simple membership rules, such as "Guests visiting the squadron have to visit three times before they can turn in application paperwork."  My squadron has that rule.  One meeting is not a big enough sampling to show a person what CAP is about.

Now - Pick a week of the month, any week.  For my example, we'll say the 1st meeting of the month.  People who have visited at least three meetings  and have turned in application paperwork will go before a membership review board you hold on this meeting week.  Every applicant sees the board, and the board makes their recommendations to the commander by the end of the meeting.

The following week (what would be Week 2 in this example), you hold an "Induction ceremony" at your opening formation.  Tell your newest members to invite their parents or family to come watch.  It might look nicest on a blue's night.  At opening formation, have new cadets form up as a flight and when the commander comes out, he can instruct the new cadets to raise their right hand and recite the cadet oath.  (You can say it in bits for them to repeat as they won't know it yet)  If you want to go the extra mile, make little certificates of membership for them, indicating their newly-gained, privileged membership in your unit. 

It's a nice way to give a quick morale boost to new members, who are often confused and stumble through their initial time in CAP.  It's easy to do and as Cadet Programs officer, you could use this example to draft up a proposal and implement it starting your next meeting. 

abysmal

I brought that idea up to the commander.
he was not thrilled with it.
Says he requires them to come back to a 2nd meeting before he will take paperwork and that has been working for years, so why should he change anything.

Its an uphill battle with a really dedicated commander who has been doing EVERYTHING by himself for years now.

arajca

off topic

Sounds like he is an Institutional Commander. Meaning he has been in command for so long, he has lost sight of the need to delegate. Probably has tried it and been burned a long time ago.

Even National recognizes the need to delegate and recommends all commanders delegate. Since your commander has been doing everything, he probably feels that no one can do it as well as he can. And he may be right, but you (or any other seniors) will never learn and grow if you are not given productive work. It is extremely hard to let someone else do a job you can do in a couple minutes when you know it will take them several hours (BTDT), but if you want them to grow and progress, you have to bite your tongue and let them learn.

If your commander is doing EVERYTHING, ask about his succession plan. What happens if he is not around or available? Who will keep the unit running?

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 28, 2005, 05:18:56 PM
off topic
If your commander is doing EVERYTHING, ask about his succession plan. What happens if he is not around or available? Who will keep the unit running?

He seemed very pleased with my desire to go to SLS, and strongly encouraged me to get my application in ASAP.