iPad/iPhone as Pilot Tool

Started by Paradoc, January 16, 2011, 11:41:20 PM

Paradoc

New to these forums... and relatively new CAP pilot.  But want to put in a plug for using the iPad as a very useful tool for CAP missions.  Software I find particularly helpful:

1) Foreflight - Full flight planning, charts, plates for the entire US.  You can brief/file flight plans directly from Foreflight.  Requires a subscription.  Runs on both iPhone/iPad.  On the iPad, you can easily read full approach plates.  Foreflight is really awesome software.  I'm trying to figure out optimal kneeboard, but not sure I want to use it in that fashion.  Sporty's has an iPad kneeboard... anyone else using these?  This really is a full electronic "flight bag" for either the iPad or iPhone.  With the current version you can even print the plates you need before you depart.  Flight planning is as simple as entering in something like "KJAC RIW KCYS 125kts 12.5gph".  It knows all the victor airways, intersections, procedures, etc.  It calculates each leg including fuel burn taking into account winds aloft, and provides enroute weather.  It has near-live weather radar and satelite images as well as full aviation weather for entire US.  The other day I impressed one of my CAP instructor pilots by whipping out my iPhone during lunch and filing out IFR return flight plan in about 60 seconds with confirmation via email.  It really is great software.  Foreflight is free to try, if you want to keep using it you can buy quarterly or yearly subscriptions which enable you to download all the current sectionals, IFR charts, procedures, etc.

2) CAP Regulations - You can download current versions of all the CAP regulations in pdf format from the CAP site and load them into the iBooks reader, or one of several other pdf readers.

3) eServices and WIMRS - Full access to eServices and WIMRS from anywhere

4) If you have an iPhone, a program called "Genius Scan" lets you take a picture of your fuel receipts and store them as a pdf file on your phone or a variety of other secure online sites so you can upload them to eServices.

5) Google Earth - Requires a speedy internet connection... but full access to Google Earth to help with mission planning.

6) Topo maps - a number of different programs let you download topo maps and store them on the iPad for mission planning

7) Books - Both Kindle and iBook store have a several flying titles, including the instrument flying handbook and instrument procedures guide for reading when you have downtime on that next Sarex.

8) Starwalk - A great astronomy program that teaches you the night sky.  Hold up your iPhone/iPad and it knows your location, direction, and elevation and will display the night sky above you (or even below you!) including common satellite flyovers.  A great way to learn some about celestial navigation.

Lots of other useful apps... any other CAP pilots have ones you use/recommend?

Battery life on the iPad is about 10 hours of continuous use.  New versions should be out in a couple of weeks and you should be able to pick up the original models for pretty cheap on eBay/etc.

Jim
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
FAA Senior Medical Examiner
Family Physician
Wyoming Wing Medical Officer

JoeTomasone

Not solely for pilots either, us ground-pounders get a lot of use from iOS devices:

1. Wundermap, AeroWeather, and Intellicast HD.   I like them all for different reasons.

2. Goodreader is my PDF reader of choice (for the aforementioned Manuals/Regs)

3. Simplenote for taking quick notes that sync to the cloud and can be viewed/edited from the Web or a PC client.

4. Clinometer/Tiltmeter - For checking levels on things or figuring out angles.

5. Maps allows you to plot lat/longs from AFRCC.

6. Various web sites that give you airport data (like the after-hours emergency contact info), look up tail numbers, etc.

7. Angry Birds (while you wait for the next coordinates from AFRCC or for the aircrew to get airborne - semi kidding!)

PHall

If you're going to use this stuff in the cockpit just remember this little rule.

"The airplane flies because of Bernoulli, not Marconi."

In other words don't get so busy playing with the electronics that you forget to fly the airplane.

SABRE17

Angry Birds is by far the most addicting game ever made for just about any device on the planet  ;D ;D ;D... and I'm sure because of angry birds commanders will ban said devices from missions forcing us to use the good old compass for NAV and the phone book to look up phone numbers  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 17, 2011, 04:14:33 AM
Not solely for pilots either, us ground-pounders get a lot of use from iOS devices:

1. Wundermap, AeroWeather, and Intellicast HD.   I like them all for different reasons.

2. Goodreader is my PDF reader of choice (for the aforementioned Manuals/Regs)

3. Simplenote for taking quick notes that sync to the cloud and can be viewed/edited from the Web or a PC client.

4. Clinometer/Tiltmeter - For checking levels on things or figuring out angles.

5. Maps allows you to plot lat/longs from AFRCC.

6. Various web sites that give you airport data (like the after-hours emergency contact info), look up tail numbers, etc.

7. Angry Birds (while you wait for the next coordinates from AFRCC or for the aircrew to get airborne - semi kidding!)

Thanks... You just gave me 7 reasons why I should buy an iPad... And I really wasn't looking for any because I don't want to spend the money  >:D

SABRE17

what does the 3g service cost on those Ipads any way?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 17, 2011, 08:14:42 AM
Thanks... You just gave me 7 reasons why I should buy an iPad... And I really wasn't looking for any because I don't want to spend the money  >:D

When the iPad came out, I pooh-poohed it because I considered it to be merely a big iPhone (and I already had an iPhone).   In reality, it's so much more, but you can't appreciate it until you use one.   

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 17, 2011, 01:57:40 PM
what does the 3g service cost on those Ipads any way?

250MB/month, $14.99. 2GB/month, $25.00.  You can start/suspend service at any time without penalty.

SABRE17

How much does 2GB a month actually get you?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 17, 2011, 02:24:34 PM
How much does 2GB a month actually get you?

Quite a bit, if you're doing regular web surfing, email checking, etc.   It would be pretty hard to exceed 2g with an iPad in a month. 

EMT-83

2 GB of 3G goes a long way if you take advantage of WiFi, when available.

REDahms

I know of a few pilots who use the iPhone as their preflight check list. They say its alot better then trying you use the book and papers they are given. For the iPad, personally I love it but for WiFi it's not the greatest.

Is there a way to create apps for SQTR's or like the green ES book?
C/Capt. Robert Dahms
MER CAC Rep. NC
NC-023 Cadet EXO

Billy Mitchell       56791
Amelia Earhart  15084

Paradoc

Quote from: PHall on January 17, 2011, 04:19:33 AM
If you're going to use this stuff in the cockpit just remember this little rule.

"The airplane flies because of Bernoulli, not Marconi."

In other words don't get so busy playing with the electronics that you forget to fly the airplane.

I agree... I try not to get distracted by electronics in the cockpit, including the G1000.  As our Stan/Eval officer is fond of saying... the crash position in the 182 G1000 is when you are heads down looking at the G1000 and not paying attention to what is outside the aircraft!
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

davidsinn

Quote from: REDahms on January 17, 2011, 05:12:31 PM

Just log into eServices? I can do it from my WinMo phone just fine. I have the taskbook on my phone as well.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 17, 2011, 08:14:42 AM
Thanks... You just gave me 7 reasons why I should buy an iPad... And I really wasn't looking for any because I don't want to spend the money

Let me help save you some money.

DRM.  Feature poor.  Carrier-lock (though that is changing). No Flash.  Itunes. And the #1 reason - Steve Jobs seems to know better what you need than you do.

After the tablets from CES start hitting the stores, by this time next year we will all be wondering what the fuss about the iPad was.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

I wonder how the ipad will compare with the android tablets that are going to be released in the near future.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

What I'm really watching is the WebOS tablet set to be officially unveiled in February.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 18, 2011, 07:42:02 PM
What I'm really watching is the WebOS tablet set to be officially unveiled in February.

A dead platform.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 08:01:55 PM

A dead platform.

Or an iOS killer that doesn't have Apple's marketing department >:D.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 18, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 08:01:55 PM

A dead platform.

Or an iOS killer that doesn't have Apple's marketing department >:D.

Too little, too late.  Palm is long done as a market leader, no one has told them, yet. 
The king is dead, long live the king.

Android will become the MS of portable devices and cell phone - even Rim and Nokia are hearing footsteps.  iOS will be relegated to the same boutique status that other Apple products are. This isn't conjecture or speculation, this is already happening.

There will be a spike in iOS devices during the upcoming exodus from AT&T to Verizon, at which time AT&T will begin to emphasize the Android platform in an attempt to win back their lost customers.  After that spike, the iOS devices will begin their great market share decline.

The next gen Apple devices will be the key to this race - if they come out as restrictive and feature-poor as the iphone 4 and ipad, they will lose.  Until now, to the less technical, these devices seem like "magic", but when compared to their competitors, they don't compare very well, and there are going to be a lot of competitors.

In fact, Acer announced today that they have already begun planning the cease of production of netbooks in favor of tablets - tablets which will run Windows or Android.  When the largest manufacturer of netbooks says they are done, they are done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paradoc

Quote from: davidsinn on January 17, 2011, 08:14:08 PM
Quote from: REDahms on January 17, 2011, 05:12:31 PM

Just log into eServices? I can do it from my WinMo phone just fine. I have the taskbook on my phone as well.

Yes, you can log into WIMRS and eServices just fine from iPad or iPhone.  I've used both to add sorties.  Although I will say with filling out SQTR's, it is much easier to do on a laptop/desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard.  eServices is not the most user friendly web based software I've used before.
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

Paradoc

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 04:20:35 PMLet me help save you some money.

DRM.  Feature poor.  Carrier-lock (though that is changing). No Flash.  Itunes. And the #1 reason - Steve Jobs seems to know better what you need than you do.

After the tablets from CES start hitting the stores, by this time next year we will all be wondering what the fuss about the iPad was.

Amazing.  Apple-haters.  There is one in every crowd, and doesn't take them long to show up.

Eclipse, this post didn't ask "do you like Apple or Android better?".  It was a post outlining the usefulness of some specific hardware and software I've found very helpful for CAP missions.  It would appear you've probably never used an iPad, or any of the software I or others have mentioned for the iOS.  So how does your personal dislike for Apple mean other CAP pilots shouldn't evaluate it for themselves?

Eclipse, it is obvious you know more than the apx 20 million people who bought iPad's in the first year they were available.  Apple currently controls 87% of the worldwide tablet market.  People have downloaded 10 Billion (yes Billion with a "B") applications for the iOS.  Yes, android will chip away at that.  Competition is great, and I hope the android developers will create some great software for aviation too.  Although developers for Android are already complaining about the huge burden of having too many different hardware versions making it more difficult to develop for than the iOS.  If it was so easy to create a tablet people actually wanted to use, how come nobody else did it before Apple?

So, before you jump in and start blasting Apple... why don't you check out these particular apps and then come back and tell us your informed opinion.  Or, if you are so knowledgeable about what is available for android now, why don't you post a list of similar apps for android devices.  I'd love to know what you think is out there that is better than what has been listed here so far.

Oh... and I'll bet you $20 that "by this time next year" Apple iPad will still control >50% of the tablet market.  Android will most likely succeed and Apple's market share will inevitably drop but it has a LONG way to go to make up Apple's complete domination in the tablet market that they created.
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

N Harmon

Why do Apple people get so bent out of shape when someone suggests Apple products might not be the best option?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Paradoc

Quote from: N Harmon on January 26, 2011, 07:17:46 PM
Why do Apple people get so bent out of shape when someone suggests Apple products might not be the best option?

I have absolutely no problem with people not liking Apple, or people who love microsoft, android, palm, or any other company/platform.  I do have a problem with people who post ill-informed and off-topic replies.  Trolling is trolling... no matter how you look at it.  Doesn't matter if you have 10,000+ posts to your name.
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

davidsinn

Quote from: Paradoc on January 27, 2011, 01:17:58 AM
Quote from: N Harmon on January 26, 2011, 07:17:46 PM

I have absolutely no problem with people not liking Apple, or people who love microsoft, android, palm, or any other company/platform.  I do have a problem with people who post ill-informed and off-topic replies.  Trolling is trolling... no matter how you look at it.  Doesn't matter if you have 10,000+ posts to your name.

Ill informed? The guy is a 13.5 out of 10 on the geek scale. It is on topic to point out the failures and cheaper alternatives to a platform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Paradoc

My apologies.  On rereading my original reply to Eclipse it reads more strongly than I had intended.  I would delete it if I could (but doesn't look like this forum allows that).  It isn't any better to be a 'fan-boy' than a 'hater', and there are those on all sides of the software industry.

But my question for Eclipse remains... if you have a list of similar software for the Android or Win-mo platforms, I'd love to hear it.  My experience is obviously with the iPad/iPhone.  And if you have a chance to check out any of the software I and others have mentioned... check it out!  It might convince you that the 20 million people who have bought iPads and 10 Billion iOS software downloads are onto something despite your list of negatives.

Even Sportys has gotten in on the game... I got an email from them last night announcing their new iPad app http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16198

Oh... and my friendly wager of $20 is still on.  If by this time next year the iPad everyone is wondering what the iPad was about, I'll send you a $20 or buy you a beer and you can show me your android tablet  ;)
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

meganite

Quote from: Paradoc on January 26, 2011, 01:34:57 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 04:20:35 PMLet me help save you some money.

Amazing.  Apple-haters.  There is one in every crowd, and doesn't take them long to show up.

For pretty much everything Eclipse said, I have to agree with him. He was just pointing out the cons of the system, when others had just pointed out the pros, so at least we have both sides of the picture now ;)

As an independent game developer, I've also been around quite a few "Apple-haters" ... the fact that it doesn't use Flash, and the fact that sometimes apps seem to get vetoed for no good reason... and I've heard horror stories from developers. However, after seeing how much the system can do with regards to aviation (and game development... Angry Birds and Cut the Rope), I've lost a lot of my Apple-hater mentality. The iPad actually has a lot going for it, and the interface was surprisingly tangible somehow. (I don't really know what I was expecting other than that the lack of physical keys to press seemed like it would cause some frustrations. I'm not sure exactly how to explain why it's better than a normal computer interface, but I think that style of touchscreen is the way of the future, and people are going to expect that kind of responsiveness, accuracy, and control from other new systems.)

I guess the most important message from all this news for me is that the market is changing, so what seems like the best tool now might not be so in the future. I'm excited about the systems that use Android, for sure. The potential of having more reliable website display (including Flash) appeals to me. There are already a lot of tools out there, like Skyvector, that are free online. I'm still not going to buy either an iPad or other system like this anytime very soon, because I have zero dollars, but it's good to know all these features are out there. Still, I'm definitely considering this kind of hardware as a replacement for my 10lb 5 year old laptop. (Why would anyone get a screen that flips open when you can just use a touchscreen?)

Sorry I guess this was kind of off-topic. Yay technology geeks.

JoeTomasone

meganite

Yeah, for what it's worth, that's exactly the problem that Windows has... way too open to everything.
But Steve Jobs has vetoed many more apps for much worse reasons than that they are security issues. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I am sure I could come up with a list, if given time to consult my game design friends.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: meganite on February 01, 2011, 06:05:13 AM
Yeah, for what it's worth, that's exactly the problem that Windows has... way too open to everything.
But Steve Jobs has vetoed many more apps for much worse reasons than that they are security issues. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I am sure I could come up with a list, if given time to consult my game design friends.

To be sure, Apple has deservedly taken their lumps - but then, lets remember that they blazed the trail, essentially, and you can expect some speed bumps from time to time.   They have improved a lot of things since the beginning.

I'm a big believer in "use what works for you".   For me, it's Windows on the desktop, Linux for the server, Apple for the phone and tablet.  <shrug>    Took a look at the Galaxy Tab the other day and wasn't terribly impressed.   The OS seems quite sluggish.

N Harmon

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 01, 2011, 06:11:12 AMI'm a big believer in "use what works for you".   For me, it's Windows on the desktop, Linux for the server, Apple for the phone and tablet.

For me it's Linux on the desktop, Windows and FreeBSD for the server, and Apple for my ipod. :)
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Paradoc

Oh, I forgot one of my FAVORITE iOS apps for CAP Pilots:  Genus Scan
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/genius-scan/id377672876?mt=8
It lets you use the camera on the iPhone to scan documents, and then turn them into PDF files.  Does a great job cropping and enhancing the image.  I know there are lots of programs for iOS (and presumably for android, etc) that do this.  Some even do OCR "Optical Character Recognition".  But this is a GREAT thing for CAP pilots because you can snap a quick shot of your fuel receipts and upload them directly to WIMRS.  No more lost/crumpled/delayed receipts.  Very handy!  (Note: Won't work with iPad until the new iPad with camera comes out in a couple of months  ;)

Aero News Net also has a writeup on Foreflight and some other iPad apps for aviation at:
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?contentBlockId=d30a5f5b-3071-4737-8f67-d022ccea6793
Their summary of Fore Flight: "ForeFlight just plain wows us -- on the iPhone or the iPad."

Cheers,
Jim
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician

meganite

Well, personally I'm still a fan of Analog ;)

http://broadside.net/07082032.htm

(You know, like at those SAREXes where all the computers are tied up or running slow or other SNAFUs happen with technology? I'll be there, with the forms, printed out. No, I didn't bring enough for everybody, sorry. What am I, Logistics?)

Mustang

My gf just got a Nook Color from Barnes and Noble, and of course the first thing I did was throw on some approach plates and enroute charts from the AeroNav website to evaluate it as an Electronic Flight Bag, and all I can say is WOW!!!  It's not as robust as Foreflight, nor does the Nook have a GPS receiver for overlaying your position on the chart, but it is still supremely useful and far better than paper charts. And at $250 for the device (which under the hood is a relatively standard Android tablet), it's a heck of a deal.

Just another data point.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

FARRIER

Quote from: meganite on February 06, 2011, 05:07:05 AM
Well, personally I'm still a fan of Analog ;)

http://broadside.net/07082032.htm

(You know, like at those SAREXes where all the computers are tied up or running slow or other SNAFUs happen with technology? I'll be there, with the forms, printed out. No, I didn't bring enough for everybody, sorry. What am I, Logistics?)

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

ProdigalJim

Quote from: meganite on February 16, 2011, 04:35:06 AM
Well, this is interesting news...

http://www.padgadget.com/2011/02/14/faa-authorizes-jet-charter-to-use-jeppesen-mobile-iPad-app/

They (Jepp) just came my offices this afternoon to brief us on it...a very impressive effort. Cool enough that you can use it in all phases of flight, but to my jaded eye, even more impressive that they were able to get FAA to watch it, evaluate it, and bless it in three months. They were pretty excited about the possibilities for making the iPad the single device you need in the cockpit to replace charts, checklists, planning tools, dispatch information, scheduling, you name it.

ProdigalJim
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

meganite

Quote from: ProdigalJim on February 16, 2011, 10:53:05 PM
They (Jepp) just came my offices this afternoon to brief us on it...a very impressive effort. Cool enough that you can use it in all phases of flight, but to my jaded eye, even more impressive that they were able to get FAA to watch it, evaluate it, and bless it in three months. They were pretty excited about the possibilities for making the iPad the single device you need in the cockpit to replace charts, checklists, planning tools, dispatch information, scheduling, you name it.

ProdigalJim

Yeah, really. And, as someone else pointed out, it's much cheaper than other pilot tools available.

lzu2

IMHO, the iPad is a great tool for aviation. The internal GPS has reliability issues in some cockpits, but just for charts alone, it's a wonderful tool to have. And when I'm back on the ground, it's really nice to have access to the internet for weather updates and email.

I am sorry that Apple decided against including Flash support, but other tablets will soon fill that void. For now, I'm a fan of the iPad, but a year from now, I may have moved on to a non-Apple tablet.

- Russ, GA112

JoeTomasone

Quote from: lzu2 on February 25, 2011, 02:46:00 PMI am sorry that Apple decided against including Flash support, but other tablets will soon fill that void. For now, I'm a fan of the iPad, but a year from now, I may have moved on to a non-Apple tablet.

I understand why they did.   Flash is proprietary (albeit near universally accepted), whereas HTML5 is an open standard.   Flash also opens up attack vectors for malware that HTML5 does not.     Apple is basically drawing a line in the sand to try to get more people on board with HTML5.    Yes, they are using something akin to a bully pulpit to drive the point, but the point itself is sound. 

A lot is made over how "open" Android is versus iOS, but in many ways, this can be a benefit as well.    The chance of installing malware from the App Store approaches zero, where there have already been reports of Android-based malware that has been in the Android Store.  (http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=android+store+malware)

lzu2

Hi, Joe. Yeah, I've heard that argument before, but I personally can't agree with it. I think Steve Jobs really has a vendetta against Flash. I've never had any type of security problem on any of my computers due to watching Flash content. Personally, I'd rather make the decision on what I want to consume rather than have a manufacturer arbitrarily try to "protect me from myself". Just my opinion and I know everyone doesn't share it. Good Flying! :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Paradoc on January 27, 2011, 02:36:51 PM
But my question for Eclipse remains... if you have a list of similar software for the Android or Win-mo platforms, I'd love to hear it.  My experience is obviously with the iPad/iPhone.  And if you have a chance to check out any of the software I and others have mentioned... check it out!  It might convince you that the 20 million people who have bought iPads and 10 Billion iOS software downloads are onto something despite your list of negatives.

Just because there are 20 million people doing something doesn't make it a good idea, or the "best" idea.  Apple has pretended they invented the MP3 player for a long time, despite the fact that there were 3-5 years late to the party and their devices were typically "design high, feature poor" (still are).
There were plenty of people who would buy special electrical tape to cover the flashing "12:00" on their VCR, too.

No flash is ridiculous, and proof that most Apple users will just accept whatever is thrown at them (how is it acceptable that 1/2 the websites
you hit with an iPad are missing content?)

How about the ability to load content, anything, without having to ask Apple's permission, first?  I can Dropbox an .apk to my Galaxy and install it with a click - same goes for movies, music, whatever.  Just as an FYI, most consumers consider open platforms and options as value-add features, not
the downside of a platform (the theoretical ability to hack the devices not withstanding).

Memory expansion? No.  Swappable batteries?  No.

There are no significant applications or abilities that the iOS has a lock on, but lots of important things that Android devices can do that Apple won't even consider.

I fondled a prototype Viewsonic dual-boot device this week (Windows / Android) - that is the direction that the real winners will go.  I'm personally waiting for the LG Slate to hit, but go check out a Xoom, you'll be impressed.

The nearly silent drop of the Verizon iPhone should give you an indication how many people, outside the core base, actually care about the device.
Reports indicate that a good number of buyers were AT&T converts who decided they actually needed to place phone calls - that isn't market share, that
is carrier dilution.  Beyond that, there were no lines at the stores, and things have gone to near silence on the device since.

The iPad2 will have some chatter, and I'm sure a good number of people standing in line, but just as with the iPod, the salad days are over.  From here it will be fragmentation, lower adoption rates, and alternative devices being the clear winner, as indicated by device and ad sales numbers in which
Andy already exceeds iOS. 

BTW - I have mentioned this before, but I support the iPad as part of my consulting business, so I know exactly what it can (and can't), do, and have 4 of them sitting next to me as I type this.  I'm anxious to fully convert to the cloud and leave my notebooks behind, but I tried again this week and
found that the iPad is not capable of that because, for starters, of all the content and load restrictions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2011, 03:56:23 PM
Quote from: Paradoc on January 27, 2011, 02:36:51 PM

Just because there are 20 million people doing something doesn't make it a good idea, or the "best" idea.  Apple has pretended they invented the MP3 player for a long time, despite the fact that there were 3-5 years late to the party and their devices were typically "design high, feature poor" (still are).
There were plenty of people who would buy special electrical tape to cover the flashing "12:00" on their VCR, too.

No flash is ridiculous, and proof that most Apple users will just accept whatever is thrown at them (how is it acceptable that 1/2 the websites
you hit with an iPad are missing content?)

How about the ability to load content, anything, without having to ask Apple's permission, first?  I can Dropbox an .apk to my Galaxy and install it with a click - same goes for movies, music, whatever.  Just as an FYI, most consumers consider open platforms and options as value-add features, not
the downside of a platform (the theoretical ability to hack the devices not withstanding).

Memory expansion? No.  Swappable batteries?  No.

There are no significant applications or abilities that the iOS has a lock on, but lots of important things that Android devices can do that Apple won't even consider.

I fondled a prototype Viewsonic dual-boot device this week (Windows / Android) - that is the direction that the real winners will go.  I'm personally waiting for the LG Slate to hit, but go check out a Xoom, you'll be impressed.

The nearly silent drop of the Verizon iPhone should give you an indication how many people, outside the core base, actually care about the device.
Reports indicate that a good number of buyers were AT&T converts who decided they actually needed to place phone calls - that isn't market share, that
is carrier dilution.  Beyond that, there were no lines at the stores, and things have gone to near silence on the device since.

The iPad2 will have some chatter, and I'm sure a good number of people standing in line, but just as with the iPod, the salad days are over.  From here it will be fragmentation, lower adoption rates, and alternative devices being the clear winner, as indicated by device and ad sales numbers in which
Andy already exceeds iOS. 

BTW - I have mentioned this before, but I support the iPad as part of my consulting business, so I know exactly what it can (and can't), do, and have 4 of them sitting next to me as I type this.  I'm anxious to fully convert to the cloud and leave my notebooks behind, but I tried again this week and
found that the iPad is not capable of that because, for starters, of all the content and load restrictions.

Agreed, for the most part. The big area iOS (as a side note, I'm still a bit shocked that Cisco hasn't had something to say about this name) has a lock on is dead-simplicity. You push a button, slide a bar, and things Just WorkTM. I haven't had much experience with Android but I don't think you can say the same thing about it. I'm also not a huge fan of the current Android tablets (save the Xoom because of Honeycomb) because they're running a phone OS blown up to tablet sizes, as opposed to the iPad which runs an OS tailored to it with applications specifically designed to take advantage of the screen size.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 25, 2011, 04:09:01 PMAgreed, for the most part. The big area iOS (as a side note, I'm still a bit shocked that Cisco hasn't had something to say about this name) has a lock on is dead-simplicity. You push a button, slide a bar, and things Just WorkTM. I haven't had much experience with Android but I don't think you can say the same thing about it. I'm also not a huge fan of the current Android tablets (save the Xoom because of Honeycomb) because they're running a phone OS blown up to tablet sizes, as opposed to the iPad which runs an OS tailored to it with applications specifically designed to take advantage of the screen size.

Just as Apple has iTunes, Android has Google Apps.  Use either and things "just work", I don't know of anyone who has had issues on either platform
with the core functionality.  But with Andy you also have options that Apple doesn't provide.

I agree on the honeycomb issue - the early tablets like the Galaxy Tab were rushed to market as Honeycomb was ramped up.   HC is acknowledged as the first tablet-supported version of Android, with the primary issue being full size-scalability of applications vs. being written in a fixed size, iOS has the same issue with many apps not written specifically with the iPad in mind.

Andytabs aren't really even in the market yet, for the most part, and won't be in full swing until at least the Fall - everything today is still early adopter land and too expensive for mom & dad.  Wait a year.  CES this year didn't even have an Apple presence, next year will be worse.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 25, 2011, 04:09:01 PM
I haven't had much experience with Android but I don't think you can say the same thing about it. I'm also not a huge fan of the current Android tablets (save the Xoom because of Honeycomb) because they're running a phone OS blown up to tablet sizes, as opposed to the iPad which runs an OS tailored to it with applications specifically designed to take advantage of the screen size.

LOl.

All that an iPad was on launch date was a big iPhone. In fact, the iPhone would have come after the iPad, since that was the original product Apple was working on. Sure it's gotten better, but it's still less (a lot less) capable than android.

I say this having owned an iPod Touch since Late 2008. iPhone 3GS in my fiancees hands since end of 09. iPad as a present to her a while back, and a Droid X that I love, but hate the headphone jack on for myself since August 2010.

lzu2

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on February 25, 2011, 11:09:48 PMAll that an iPad was on launch date was a big iPhone.

You're pretty much dead on with that. But the fact that it was "big" is the big difference. It's the perfect size for so many tasks and really easy on the eyes.

Майор Хаткевич

I know someone posted about Asus and netbooks/tabs, but I just don't see it. I use my HP netbook on the train to/from work, and for class. It's light weight, it has a keyboard, and it just does that much more than the tabs.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

New iPad drops:  http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Let me be the first to say.  Thinner, dual-core.

!!!!! CASE !!!!

((*yawn*))

When the >case< is a feature, you're done. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2011, 09:59:04 PM
New iPad drops:  http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Let me be the first to say.  Thinner, dual-core.

!!!!! CASE !!!!

((*yawn*))

When the >case< is a feature, you're done.

I like the changes but I still don't feel very compelled by it. We'll see.

I too thought the case thing was a little bit... Odd. It's almost as if someone at Apple said "Oh #&@* we forgot feature X, quick, come up with something we can do before launch day."

a2capt

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the lame arse camera choice. It's not even the same as the original iPhone. In the quest for thin, they claim they can't fit that iPhone 4 camera in there. A thicker one wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

HGjunkie

And yet they can't put a dual-core chip in the itouch/phone...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

Quote from: HGjunkie on March 03, 2011, 01:57:50 AM

I would bet almost anything we see one in the June model.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

It's goin' to space! FTW!! Give it a second... LOL

That was great entertainment while waiting for IMU to archive missions to WMU do a DB update ;)

HGjunkie

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 05, 2011, 01:52:20 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on March 03, 2011, 01:57:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Just Sayin'.

LOL. I'm not complaining, just stating that Apple won't do something other manufacturers have already done.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JoeTomasone

http://crystallake.patch.com/articles/local-company-brings-ipad-to-cockpit

While a lot of users may employ the Apple tablet to play Scrabble or read books, the 30 pilots of N-Jet, which charters airplanes and is based at the Lake in the Hills Airport, use the iPad to store navigational charts, company manuals and technical documents.

A few weeks ago, the company was the first FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation) Part 135 fleet, which refers to charters and air taxis as opposed to commercial flight operators, whose proposal to use iPads in cockpits was accepted by the Federal Aviation Association, said N-Jet President and CEO Howard Seedorf.

lzu2

Quote from: Paradoc on January 16, 2011, 11:41:20 PM
Sporty's has an iPad kneeboard... anyone else using these? 

I designed an iPad kneeboard and have been selling them for nearly a year. Here's the link:
www.ForPilotsOnly.com. CAP members can email me and I'll give you 20% off. - Russ

MIKE

You can keep the discount if she ships with it.  8)
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: lzu2 on March 26, 2011, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Paradoc on January 16, 2011, 11:41:20 PM
Sporty's has an iPad kneeboard... anyone else using these? 

I designed an iPad kneeboard and have been selling them for nearly a year. Here's the link:
www.ForPilotsOnly.com. CAP members can email me and I'll give you 20% off. - Russ

I'm not an iPad fan but I must admit that knee board is cool.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Paradoc

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2011, 03:56:23 PM

Well I played with a Xoom for a bit the other day at Staples.  Not the best way to test a device for a specific use like aviation.  I agree, nice piece of hardware.  Although apparently the market isn't responding as favorably.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/06/everyones-to-blame-for-the-xooms-low-sales-numbers/
...just sayin, the consumers may not agree with you Eclipse.

Again, I hope the android tablets provide a great alternative to the iPad someday... competition is good for everyone.

But if you are looking for a full-featured tablet that provides EFB functionality NOW, I remain very pleased with ForeFlight on my original iPad (and iPhone).  Agree with comments about the lousy camera in iPad2, but who really wants to use a large slate as a primary camera?  I also wish Apple had included better GPS chip in the iPad.  I've remedied this with a bluetooth external GPS http://amzn.com/B004M3BICU

Like the look of the iPro kneeboard.  I bought one from Sporty's that I'm not very happy with.  It is too bulky, and only has cheap elastic bands to hold the iPad in.  It has a "kickstand" to prop the iPad up, but that could interfere with the controls.

Cheers,
Jim
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
Family Physician