Maj Richard Winters passes

Started by Flying Pig, January 10, 2011, 01:04:23 AM

Flying Pig

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_of_band_of_brothe.html

Not CAP related, but thought it was worth a mention.  Maj. Richard Winters, made famous in the book and movie Band of Brothers has passed away.

NCRblues

:'(
This is very very sad news.

A true American hero is lost. This man should have been awarded the MOH for his part in the taking of the German artillery battery after jumping into France.

I will be going out and placing my flag at half staff.

Rest in peace sir...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

MICT1362

Very sad indeed.  Another hero that will be truly missed.

-Paramedic

HGjunkie

[darn]. He was my hero after I read about what he did in Band of Brothers and Big Brother.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NCRblues on January 10, 2011, 01:12:52 AM

A true American hero is lost. This man should have been awarded the MOH for his part in the taking of the German artillery battery after jumping into France.

Rest in peace sir...

He was nominated for the Medal of Honor but it was downgraded to a Distinguished Service Cross.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NEBoom

Sad news.  Truly one of my idols.  His views on leadership and his abilities as a commander were truly awesome.  In a world where words like "idol" and "awesome" are overused, he truly was both.

RIP...  :'(
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

manfredvonrichthofen

I am a Currahee!!! I was in the 506th INF for about five years, I wear the unit crest proudly on my leg. I am saddened that one of my heroes passed away today.

I went to my Battalion formal ball just after returning from Iraq in the winter of 2006 and I remember he gave that wonderful quote that really did make many of us tear up hearing the man say it.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother."

Maj. Winters,

Go now, rest EZ. You may stand down. You have served us well, and your memory will continue to do the same. Rest with your own and my brothers as well, for they are each our own.

a2capt

NCRblues

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 10, 2011, 04:13:03 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on January 10, 2011, 01:12:52 AM

Rest in peace sir...

He was nominated for the Medal of Honor but it was downgraded to a Distinguished Service Cross.

I know...notice i said SHOULD HAVE....inferring IMHO (and many others btw) that it should not have been downgraded  ;)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC