CAP Members, Military Surplus Items and the TSA

Started by a2capt, November 22, 2010, 10:16:15 PM

tmurphy

Quote from: bosshawk on November 24, 2010, 10:35:11 PM
The surgeon who did my knees says that they are made of stainless steel and plastic.  They certainly do set off the metal detectors and the wands that the officers use to give me the up close and personal treatment.  I fly the airlines so seldom that it really isn't an issue: maybe once or twice a year.  Now, if I had to do this every time that I fly my own Bonanza, I might find it a bit tiring.

The surgeon didn't issue you a card for each knee to carry with you through airport security?
TIFFANY J. MURPHY, 2d Lt, CAP
Health Services Officer
Livonia Thunderbolt Composite Squadron
GLR-MI-183

Persona non grata

I was wearing a green nomex flight jacket(sans) and was questioned by TSA as to why I was wearing it.  The only jacket I owned at the time when I lived in FL at the time, I was en route vi sting the peoples republic of New York.    I also was subject to search at a later time for explosive material, perhaps I touched something at work(no clue), I was grabbing stuff from the armory a week prior to that.  Thousands Standing Around.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

bosshawk

Tmurphy: of course he did.  When I presented it to TSA, the officer simply said "we don't pay any attention to those things, please step over here for a detailed inspection".  So much for the doctor's cards.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Quote from: bosshawk on November 29, 2010, 08:09:50 PM
Tmurphy: of course he did.  When I presented it to TSA, the officer simply said "we don't pay any attention to those things, please step over here for a detailed inspection".  So much for the doctor's cards.

Well, what would you expect?  "Just go on through?"

How long before the first guy using a home-printed card to do something bad?

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

When we made a trip for PAWG cadets to SC, the cadets found a surplus store in Charleston.  Of course, they had to buy drilled-out grenades - what else would they do?  We went through the x-ray machines, the nice fellows there saw them, pulled them off the belts, verified that they weren't active and flagged them on.  Slightly different approach taking military airlift than going through TSA.