Most active wing? "Best" wing?

Started by Dad2-4, November 19, 2010, 08:10:32 AM

Dad2-4

I'm investigating many factors to decide where we will move to when my family returns to the USA in a year or two. One thing that I want to add to the equation is CAP activity.
Are there statistics on wing activity? What do you consider to be the "best" wing and why?

flyboy53

It's not what the wing is doing, it's what's going on at the squadron. Look for a unit that equally balances the various CAP missions and has something going on every meeting.

Aso, "active" can be misleading. How active a unit may be, depends on who is doing what. It also could mean how much you, the individual member, are willing to invest in terms of time and program.

JohnKachenmeister

Dude... no question.... Florida Space Coast!

Good CAP Group, busy.

Good weather.

An OUTSTANDING senior squadron on Merritt Island, blessed with a skillful and very handsome commanding officer.

A supportive AF base nearby.

KSC and Cape Canaveral launches (Hurry, before Obama kills off the last of our manned space program)

Cocoa Beach... surfing and bikinis.

About a 1-hour drive from Disney World and all the attractions of Central Florida.

And the housing is way cheap since the bottom fell out of the economy.  I paid $465,000 for my house, but similar homes are going for $250,000-$300,000 now.  My loss--your gain.

The economy is terrible all over, so if you have to be out of work and miserable, it is way better to be out of work and miserable on a beach in the Florida sun than huddled around a coal stove shivering through a blizzard in some Yankee state.
Another former CAP officer

DBlair

A lot of it also depends on what aspect of CAP you are looking for, not to mention the scale of activities considering that the super-wings have considerably more members and 'potentially' more developed programs and expanded opportunities.

On a smaller-sized scale, NJWG has always had an excellent and well-developed program (then again, historically, it always has been a mecca of CAP), but then FLWG's massive size/membership opens the possibility for many opportunities that most smaller wings probably wouldn't have- each one of our Groups are like smaller Wings, so collectively it opens the doors to a lot of things... A lot of it really comes down to what you are looking for and on what you are basing most active/best.

...and to add to Kach's FL Promo (hehe), the other side of the state (Group 3) is also an excellent area. We have some of the best-rated beaches (Clearwater Beach, etc), an outstanding Cadet Program (ok, so I'm a bit biased lol) across ~25 Squadrons, MacDill AFB (CENTCOM, SOCOM, etc, etc), USCG Sector St. Pete and Clearwater Air Station, increasingly developed/recognized biotech and research industries, Research-1 Rated Universities, notable Law & Medical (business schools, as well) schools, Busch Gardens, Aventure Island, about 1 hour to Disney, professional sports teams (baseball, football, hockey), and many other job/business/corporate/real estate/education/etc/etc/etc opportunities here in Tampa Bay. Overall, Florida has many opportunities and the price is right. Oh yea, and its almost Thanksgiving and we are still experiencing 80-degree beach weather.  8)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Dad2-4

Quote from: flyboy1 on November 19, 2010, 11:19:54 AM
It's not what the wing is doing, it's what's going on at the squadron. Look for a unit that equally balances the various CAP missions and has something going on every meeting.

Aso, "active" can be misleading. How active a unit may be, depends on who is doing what. It also could mean how much you, the individual member, are willing to invest in terms of time and program.
I'm not over analyzing at this point. Just getting a feel for why folks here would choose a particular wing over another.
What's going on at the wing level is important. One can have a very active squadron but get little support from wing or have almost no opportunities to attend PD or other wing activities. Or, the majority of wing activities could always be scheduled at the other end of the state, make attendance logistically difficult.
True, "active" may not have been the best word since it does indeed go to the level of effort by it's members. But there are plenty of squadrons where only a small handfull of members are doing most of the work while others do little to promote the programs.

HGjunkie

Group 3 St. Pete is where it's at! FLWG all day!

And yes, I biased. ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Flying Pig

Everyone I know in CA seems to be moving to TX.  Nothing to do with CAP though.   Most are farmers and Dairymen.  CA is taxing and fining them out of business and the CA environmental groups are making it impossible to do much of anything here.  So steer clear of CA for many reasons.  If you dont HAVE a reason to come to CA, dont come because of CAP!

If I could secure an LE flying job in TX, AZ or TN Id probably be gone tomorrow.

a2capt

Steer ... clear?  ;) Steers clearing out of California?

bosshawk

The steers may not be leaving, but members certainly are.  The Sq that I belong to has lost three to resignations and one transferring to another state and at least one more will be gone by the end of the year.  Rob is absolutely correct in his assessment and those in leadership positions in the Wing are clueless.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

A.Member

CAP is a factor in the decision as to where you will move your family?!  Seriously?! 

That wouldn't even make the list in my book.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Sgt.Pain

Can't say mines the best. We Po folk. Though its not horrible. Everyone is like family to me... except for a few super annoying basics  :angel: >:D.

I'd like to add another question to this thread without starting a new topic. What wing/squadron really is number 1 as far as size goes?
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

Thrashed

I defected from the People's Republic of California after living there 28 years. I now live in PA.  We have about 2200 members in the wing. I don't know the stats, but I'm sure TX, NY, and PA are up there in total numbers.

Save the triangle thingy

DBlair

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 20, 2010, 02:18:29 AM
Everyone I know in CA seems to be moving to TX.  Nothing to do with CAP though.   Most are farmers and Dairymen.  CA is taxing and fining them out of business and the CA environmental groups are making it impossible to do much of anything here.  So steer clear of CA for many reasons.  If you dont HAVE a reason to come to CA, dont come because of CAP!

If I could secure an LE flying job in TX, AZ or TN Id probably be gone tomorrow.

Seems to be a common move (CA to TX) even beyond just the Ag industry, I personally know of a bunch of people who have made that move and they mentioned it being what many others are considering as well.

Dad2-4

For different reasons, political and personal, I won't move to CA, OR, NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, DE, DC (well, maybe some of those states if I was offered 6+ digit salary) . Lived in TX most of my life, and some time in LA.

Dad2-4

Quote from: A.Member on November 20, 2010, 04:19:21 AM
CAP is a factor in the decision as to where you will move your family?!  Seriously?! 

Didn't say it was high on the list, but something to add to the whole picture.

DBlair

Quote from: Sgt.Pain on November 20, 2010, 04:47:43 AM
I'd like to add another question to this thread without starting a new topic. What wing/squadron really is number 1 as far as size goes?

I believe there is a school squadron somewhere with a few hundred members. Other than that, here in FL we have a few units in the 100 member range, probably part of why FLWG has around 4,200 members. I'm sure some of the other "Super-Wings" probably have units of that size as well.

DBlair

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 20, 2010, 07:52:43 AM
For different reasons, political and personal, I won't move to CA, OR, NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, DE, DC

I believe we are of the same political persuasion (I'm actually very very involved) and I don't blame you on many of those.

In the case of NJ, I lived there for most of my life and have to admit that it isn't nearly as bad as the data may show. Generally, it is more like half/half, with some key areas for each side. New Jersey is a very interesting place in that the North/Central/South areas are totally different from each other- so different that there is a rivalry of sorts.

In the north, it might as well be NY, and all that comes with it.

In the central area, it is the nice suburban area- home to many of the professionals/executives who work in NYC and in my opinion is the ideal place to live and raise a family. Monmouth County was rated as one of the Top 10 places to live in the USA. Granted, I may be biased as I'm from Monmouth County (Central NJ), but I do hope to move back there someday when I have a family, and I think that speaks volumes on the quality of this area.

In the south, it is more of a rural lifestyle. A slight twist to this is that many areas down the shore from Ocean County on down to Cape May are reminiscent of New England style living.

With others on that list, there is no way I would ever live there (politically, I think I'd implode), but don't necessarily discount New Jersey, it is much better than most people think. Also, NJ has an excellent CAP presence.

SarDragon

As much as I bad-mouth NJ (lived there for @ 15 years), I have to agree with DBlair's assessment. The biggest downside I see is the property taxes. My Bro pays twice the tax on a property with half the value of my place in CA.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tarheel gumby

Try NC Wing  we are fairly active. Asheville has the largest Sqdrn in the State @ about 105 members.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

JohnKachenmeister

From the list of states that you won't live in, you sound like a 2nd Amendment supporter.  Florida and Texas should be on your short list.

Major Carrales

You know...some people actually enjoy their service in CAP.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Dad2-4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 21, 2010, 11:11:06 PM
From the list of states that you won't live in, you sound like a 2nd Amendment supporter.  Florida and Texas should be on your short list.
;)
I've actually done a little looking at NC, but I'm gun shy of FL (no pun intended) due to hurricanes.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 22, 2010, 12:43:47 AM
;)
I've actually done a little looking at NC, but I'm gun shy of FL (no pun intended) due to hurricanes.
We don't get that must disturbance except for stormy weather during hurricane season in Group 3. Although i've only lived here for ~3 years so I have no idea of what the actual weather patterns are.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 22, 2010, 01:01:12 AM
;)
We don't get that must disturbance except for stormy weather during hurricane season in Group 3. Although i've only lived here for ~3 years so I have no idea of what the actual weather patterns are.

The Tampa Bay area has not been hit by a hurricane in something like 80 years.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 21, 2010, 11:13:29 PM

I like others also enjoy Civil Air Patrol for a variety of reasons BUT again this is just a "hobby" activity and doesn't put food on the table for my family. 

Anyone relocating (from overseas) will need to take a good hard look at jobs availability for start/restart of a civilian career before locating anywhere.   I doubt that Civil Air Patrol is going to have a very high priority on anyones evaluation scale.  Even after return/moving into an area, one has to get established in their civilian career, and that's going to take 1 to 5 years (and maybe longer).   

Whatever his choice, good luck!
RM     

Major Carrales

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on November 22, 2010, 01:49:23 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on November 21, 2010, 11:13:29 PM

I like others also enjoy Civil Air Patrol for a variety of reasons BUT again this is just a "hobby" activity and doesn't put food on the table for my family. 

Anyone relocating (from overseas) will need to take a good hard look at jobs availability for start/restart of a civilian career before locating anywhere.   I doubt that Civil Air Patrol is going to have a very high priority on anyones evaluation scale.  Even after return/moving into an area, one has to get established in their civilian career, and that's going to take 1 to 5 years (and maybe longer).   

Whatever his choice, good luck!
RM     

I think the obvious is not in need of being stated.  Livelihood first.

If people can relocate because of ball teams, schools or what have you...then CAP would get the same treatment. 

I have helped build CAP in my area in places where it does not exist, it can be an important part of people lives without ridicule or belittling.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

;)

Check out the Jacksonville area. It doesn't get nearly as much of the destructive hurricane activity because of the way the coastline curves.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Unfortunetly JAX is in Group II which doesn't communicate with it's member squadrons. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 22, 2010, 02:32:39 AM
Unfortunetly JAX is in Group II which doesn't communicate with it's member squadrons.

So that means the squadrons are bad?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I wouldn't even bother looking at the wing level.  If you have a bunch of specific cities that you're interested in going to then you can check out squadrons in those areas for one that might be a good fit. 

FARRIER

I would add Colorado to the short list. As far as CAP, the only drawback is most of the Squadrons are located along the front range of the Rockies.

In my airline career, I lived in alot of states, mostly the Western US except Nebraska. I never had a chance to get active with Nebraska Wing when I spent my time there, but if the Wing is as good as the population in general, I would imagine it would be a great Wing to belong too.

Not knocking New Mexico, but friends of mine who had kids, they were not happy with the schools. It was a great Wing though.

Respectfully,
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

meganite

Texas!!! :D Cost of living is also relatively low (as is the cost of flying, or so I am told). Schools can be hit or miss I guess, but the Houston area has some pretty good schools. (I went to HS in Katy.)

We weren't very hard hit by the recession here.

jeders

For business/career in TX I would say the DFW area is probably the best. It's also really good for CAP, unless you want to fly an airplane that actually works. TX was not hit that hard by the recession, but also won't come back as quickly.

As far as CAP in TX, the various groups within the wing are pretty active, but there isn't nearly enough, in my opinion, communication from wing as to what the various groups are doing. As a result, many of us out in GP I miss out on things going on in the other groups.

Also, there is a lot of well known internal dissatisfaction with the Wing CC, although that seems to be dieing down. And in a few months we'll have a new commander, so who knows.

Ten years ago, if you asked me where I would want to live, it would probably be Southern California. Now, I'm glad I live in West Texas for many MANY reasons. For the political reasons that keep you from wanting to live in places like CA and NJ, if you choose TX, avoid Austin. It's not quite as bad as San Francisco, but it's getting there.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

davedove

Quote from: SarDragon on November 22, 2010, 02:25:05 AM
;)

Check out the Jacksonville area. It doesn't get nearly as much of the destructive hurricane activity because of the way the coastline curves.

That is also a consideration for North Carolina.  Because of the way the coastline curves, the coast of NC is often hit by hurricanes.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

A.Member

Quote from: RiverAux on November 22, 2010, 02:42:03 AM
I wouldn't even bother looking at the wing level.  If you have a bunch of specific cities that you're interested in going to then you can check out squadrons in those areas for one that might be a good fit.
Of the comments so far, this is closest to making the most sense.  And while Wing exists to support the squadrons (not the other way around as some seem to believe), CAP still really happens at the squadron level as opposed to the Wing level. 

Once you've got an area or two dialed in for the more important factors (career, economy, schools, "quality of life", etc.), then explore the squadrons that are available to you in those areas.   If you visit 3 squadrons, they're all likely to have there own "personality".  After visiting, you can determine which one you think is a good fit.   

Also. keep in mind, this is CAP and what you view as "best" now can change with a new commander. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: DBlair on November 22, 2010, 01:09:43 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on November 22, 2010, 01:01:12 AM
;)

The Tampa Bay area has not been hit by a hurricane in something like 80 years.

Unless you count Charley!

JohnKachenmeister

;)

Don't worry about hurricanes, except in Miami and the Keys.  Most stay south, or go north to the Carolinas.  There are exceptions, of course, but that's why we have restrictive building codes.  I got hit with Wilma as a Cat 2, and it blew down my palm trees, but that was it.  I replanted them, but one died anyway.  Nobody sweats Cat-3 or lower.  Cat-4 and Cat-5 will get our attention, but they are rare.

a2capt

Substitute "hurricane" with "earthquake", and 'cat' with 'Richter scale' .. sounds like California. Yet, visitors and newbies go running.

At least in CA, all ones stuff stays right where it is when disaster strikes. Unlike the plaines and such where it's blown all over the place for miles, and you get your neighbors stuff ;)

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on November 22, 2010, 11:18:26 PM
Substitute "hurricane" with "earthquake", and 'cat' with 'Richter scale' .. sounds like California. Yet, visitors and newbies go running.

Of course, here in Illinois nobody cares about earthquakes though many of us know that if the New Madrid Fault shifts we're all toast.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 23, 2010, 05:43:04 AM

Of course, here in Illinois nobody cares about earthquakes though many of us know that if the New Madrid Fault shifts we're all toast.

I've read several articles recently that say the threat has been over stated. I have no clue if they're right. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FARRIER

Quote from: davidsinn on November 23, 2010, 05:46:28 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 23, 2010, 05:43:04 AM

I've read several articles recently that say the threat has been over stated. I have no clue if they're right. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Wasn't the last time it shifted was around 1840, changing direction of the Missippi slightly and wiping out a few islands on the river?

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

SarDragon

Quote from: FARRIER on November 23, 2010, 07:00:09 AMWasn't the last time it shifted was around 1840, changing direction of the Missippi slightly and wiping out a few islands on the river?

There has been a magnitude 5.5 event as recent as 1968, based on a 1974 article cited on the USGS site.

Here's a map showing the location of the recorded earthquakes, from 1900 to 2010, minimum magnitude 3, in a 4 degree by 4 degree area down by the hook in SE Missouri.

It's got some activity there, but not like in my neck of the woods. In a 2 degree by 2 degree area east of me (I live just SE of the 33 degree mark on the west edge), the current "jiggle count" is 131 in the last 168 hours. The count approached 2000 after the Easter and July 7 quakes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Heh, there is that too. When that Easter one hit, I had $4,000 worth of glass in my hands, on my back, on the floor. Loading a laser tube into it's support rings. The door slammed shut, stuff was wiggling and magazine piles sliding.. "now what.. do I do with this, and get the heck out of the garage?"

No sooner than, it quit.

I guess one could say that the CAWG territory is the "most Active wing" in that regard.

Earhart1971

Florida Wing: SEVERE GLOAT MODE

We just rocketed up 200 Cadets we have over 4,000 in Florida Wing now Cadets and Seniors almost evenly divided between Cadets and Seniors. I think the Cadet Program in Florida will reach 4000 Cadets in two years.

Florida Wing is the Largest Wing, and we are positioned to stay there for years to come, we are the Mother of CAP, just like SAC was the Mother of the Air Force. We talked about it years ago at Maxwell AFB, at a cocktail party, the Colonels and Air University Staff were laughing and nodding their heads.   

How are we doing it? The SECRET is.... sorry my battery is low on my lap top.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JohnKachenmeister

Florida's Secrets:

1.  We drive around looking for homeless people holding signs: "Will volunteer for food."

2.  We hang out at airports and offer pilots "Free flying."

3.  We hang out in bars and offer drunks "Free beer."

4.  Hey... it beats working as the door greeter at Wal-Mart!

5.  We used to have ACORN do our recruiting, but half the people they brought in didn't speak English and the other half were dead.

BlueLakes1

Quote from: DBlair on November 20, 2010, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: Sgt.Pain on November 20, 2010, 04:47:43 AM

I believe there is a school squadron somewhere with a few hundred members. Other than that, here in FL we have a few units in the 100 member range, probably part of why FLWG has around 4,200 members. I'm sure some of the other "Super-Wings" probably have units of that size as well.

Anderson Preparatory Academy Cadet Squadron in Anderson, IN currently has 320 cadet members and 39 senior members.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

DBlair

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 25, 2010, 01:39:59 AM
Florida's Secrets:

1.  We drive around looking for homeless people holding signs: "Will volunteer for food."

2.  We hang out at airports and offer pilots "Free flying."

3.  We hang out in bars and offer drunks "Free beer."

4.  Hey... it beats working as the door greeter at Wal-Mart!

5.  We used to have ACORN do our recruiting, but half the people they brought in didn't speak English and the other half were dead.

LOL!