Most active wing? "Best" wing?

Started by Dad2-4, November 19, 2010, 08:10:32 AM

Dad2-4

I'm investigating many factors to decide where we will move to when my family returns to the USA in a year or two. One thing that I want to add to the equation is CAP activity.
Are there statistics on wing activity? What do you consider to be the "best" wing and why?

flyboy53

It's not what the wing is doing, it's what's going on at the squadron. Look for a unit that equally balances the various CAP missions and has something going on every meeting.

Aso, "active" can be misleading. How active a unit may be, depends on who is doing what. It also could mean how much you, the individual member, are willing to invest in terms of time and program.

JohnKachenmeister

Dude... no question.... Florida Space Coast!

Good CAP Group, busy.

Good weather.

An OUTSTANDING senior squadron on Merritt Island, blessed with a skillful and very handsome commanding officer.

A supportive AF base nearby.

KSC and Cape Canaveral launches (Hurry, before Obama kills off the last of our manned space program)

Cocoa Beach... surfing and bikinis.

About a 1-hour drive from Disney World and all the attractions of Central Florida.

And the housing is way cheap since the bottom fell out of the economy.  I paid $465,000 for my house, but similar homes are going for $250,000-$300,000 now.  My loss--your gain.

The economy is terrible all over, so if you have to be out of work and miserable, it is way better to be out of work and miserable on a beach in the Florida sun than huddled around a coal stove shivering through a blizzard in some Yankee state.
Another former CAP officer

DBlair

A lot of it also depends on what aspect of CAP you are looking for, not to mention the scale of activities considering that the super-wings have considerably more members and 'potentially' more developed programs and expanded opportunities.

On a smaller-sized scale, NJWG has always had an excellent and well-developed program (then again, historically, it always has been a mecca of CAP), but then FLWG's massive size/membership opens the possibility for many opportunities that most smaller wings probably wouldn't have- each one of our Groups are like smaller Wings, so collectively it opens the doors to a lot of things... A lot of it really comes down to what you are looking for and on what you are basing most active/best.

...and to add to Kach's FL Promo (hehe), the other side of the state (Group 3) is also an excellent area. We have some of the best-rated beaches (Clearwater Beach, etc), an outstanding Cadet Program (ok, so I'm a bit biased lol) across ~25 Squadrons, MacDill AFB (CENTCOM, SOCOM, etc, etc), USCG Sector St. Pete and Clearwater Air Station, increasingly developed/recognized biotech and research industries, Research-1 Rated Universities, notable Law & Medical (business schools, as well) schools, Busch Gardens, Aventure Island, about 1 hour to Disney, professional sports teams (baseball, football, hockey), and many other job/business/corporate/real estate/education/etc/etc/etc opportunities here in Tampa Bay. Overall, Florida has many opportunities and the price is right. Oh yea, and its almost Thanksgiving and we are still experiencing 80-degree beach weather.  8)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Dad2-4

Quote from: flyboy1 on November 19, 2010, 11:19:54 AM
It's not what the wing is doing, it's what's going on at the squadron. Look for a unit that equally balances the various CAP missions and has something going on every meeting.

Aso, "active" can be misleading. How active a unit may be, depends on who is doing what. It also could mean how much you, the individual member, are willing to invest in terms of time and program.
I'm not over analyzing at this point. Just getting a feel for why folks here would choose a particular wing over another.
What's going on at the wing level is important. One can have a very active squadron but get little support from wing or have almost no opportunities to attend PD or other wing activities. Or, the majority of wing activities could always be scheduled at the other end of the state, make attendance logistically difficult.
True, "active" may not have been the best word since it does indeed go to the level of effort by it's members. But there are plenty of squadrons where only a small handfull of members are doing most of the work while others do little to promote the programs.

HGjunkie

Group 3 St. Pete is where it's at! FLWG all day!

And yes, I biased. ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Flying Pig

Everyone I know in CA seems to be moving to TX.  Nothing to do with CAP though.   Most are farmers and Dairymen.  CA is taxing and fining them out of business and the CA environmental groups are making it impossible to do much of anything here.  So steer clear of CA for many reasons.  If you dont HAVE a reason to come to CA, dont come because of CAP!

If I could secure an LE flying job in TX, AZ or TN Id probably be gone tomorrow.

a2capt

Steer ... clear?  ;) Steers clearing out of California?

bosshawk

The steers may not be leaving, but members certainly are.  The Sq that I belong to has lost three to resignations and one transferring to another state and at least one more will be gone by the end of the year.  Rob is absolutely correct in his assessment and those in leadership positions in the Wing are clueless.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

A.Member

CAP is a factor in the decision as to where you will move your family?!  Seriously?! 

That wouldn't even make the list in my book.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Sgt.Pain

Can't say mines the best. We Po folk. Though its not horrible. Everyone is like family to me... except for a few super annoying basics  :angel: >:D.

I'd like to add another question to this thread without starting a new topic. What wing/squadron really is number 1 as far as size goes?
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

Thrashed

I defected from the People's Republic of California after living there 28 years. I now live in PA.  We have about 2200 members in the wing. I don't know the stats, but I'm sure TX, NY, and PA are up there in total numbers.

Save the triangle thingy

DBlair

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 20, 2010, 02:18:29 AM
Everyone I know in CA seems to be moving to TX.  Nothing to do with CAP though.   Most are farmers and Dairymen.  CA is taxing and fining them out of business and the CA environmental groups are making it impossible to do much of anything here.  So steer clear of CA for many reasons.  If you dont HAVE a reason to come to CA, dont come because of CAP!

If I could secure an LE flying job in TX, AZ or TN Id probably be gone tomorrow.

Seems to be a common move (CA to TX) even beyond just the Ag industry, I personally know of a bunch of people who have made that move and they mentioned it being what many others are considering as well.

Dad2-4

For different reasons, political and personal, I won't move to CA, OR, NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, DE, DC (well, maybe some of those states if I was offered 6+ digit salary) . Lived in TX most of my life, and some time in LA.

Dad2-4

Quote from: A.Member on November 20, 2010, 04:19:21 AM
CAP is a factor in the decision as to where you will move your family?!  Seriously?! 

That wouldn't even make the list in my book.
Didn't say it was high on the list, but something to add to the whole picture.

DBlair

Quote from: Sgt.Pain on November 20, 2010, 04:47:43 AM
I'd like to add another question to this thread without starting a new topic. What wing/squadron really is number 1 as far as size goes?

I believe there is a school squadron somewhere with a few hundred members. Other than that, here in FL we have a few units in the 100 member range, probably part of why FLWG has around 4,200 members. I'm sure some of the other "Super-Wings" probably have units of that size as well.

DBlair

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 20, 2010, 07:52:43 AM
For different reasons, political and personal, I won't move to CA, OR, NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, DE, DC

I believe we are of the same political persuasion (I'm actually very very involved) and I don't blame you on many of those.

In the case of NJ, I lived there for most of my life and have to admit that it isn't nearly as bad as the data may show. Generally, it is more like half/half, with some key areas for each side. New Jersey is a very interesting place in that the North/Central/South areas are totally different from each other- so different that there is a rivalry of sorts.

In the north, it might as well be NY, and all that comes with it.

In the central area, it is the nice suburban area- home to many of the professionals/executives who work in NYC and in my opinion is the ideal place to live and raise a family. Monmouth County was rated as one of the Top 10 places to live in the USA. Granted, I may be biased as I'm from Monmouth County (Central NJ), but I do hope to move back there someday when I have a family, and I think that speaks volumes on the quality of this area.

In the south, it is more of a rural lifestyle. A slight twist to this is that many areas down the shore from Ocean County on down to Cape May are reminiscent of New England style living.

With others on that list, there is no way I would ever live there (politically, I think I'd implode), but don't necessarily discount New Jersey, it is much better than most people think. Also, NJ has an excellent CAP presence.

SarDragon

As much as I bad-mouth NJ (lived there for @ 15 years), I have to agree with DBlair's assessment. The biggest downside I see is the property taxes. My Bro pays twice the tax on a property with half the value of my place in CA.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tarheel gumby

Try NC Wing  we are fairly active. Asheville has the largest Sqdrn in the State @ about 105 members.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

JohnKachenmeister

From the list of states that you won't live in, you sound like a 2nd Amendment supporter.  Florida and Texas should be on your short list.
Another former CAP officer