"Volunteer Searchers"

Started by RiverAux, August 24, 2010, 03:14:01 AM

RiverAux

This story from Canada is a good illustration about how dangerous it can be to have spontaneous volunteer pilots try to help out in an aerial search -- a near collission between one of them and a search plane.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewest/Civilian+aircraft+interfering+with+search+missing+plane+crews/3433918/story.html

I have heard some CAP ICs and others say that if too many volunteer pilots flood into a search area that they would just close down the mission.  This has always puzzled me as in the AFRCC SMC school we were told that they could make arrangements for FAA to close the search area to other aircraft if we really needed it.  Have also heard at least one CAP-USAF State Director say that he wouldn't hesitate to ask for that as well. 

Not sure why the CAP people, I know understand that they could make that request, would rather just go home.  Thankfully, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but its been close at least twice that I know of in recent years. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on August 24, 2010, 03:14:01 AM
This story from Canada is a good illustration about how dangerous it can be to have spontaneous volunteer pilots try to help out in an aerial search -- a near collission between one of them and a search plane.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewest/Civilian+aircraft+interfering+with+search+missing+plane+crews/3433918/story.html

I have heard some CAP ICs and others say that if too many volunteer pilots flood into a search area that they would just close down the mission.  This has always puzzled me as in the AFRCC SMC school we were told that they could make arrangements for FAA to close the search area to other aircraft if we really needed it.  Have also heard at least one CAP-USAF State Director say that he wouldn't hesitate to ask for that as well. 

Not sure why the CAP people, I know understand that they could make that request, would rather just go home.  Thankfully, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but its been close at least twice that I know of in recent years.
Hmm, good thing that didn't happen in Orgeon or the entire James Kim's family would have died
See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim

Apparently it was a civilian volunteer unaffiliated copter pilot that spotted the surviving family members.  Mr. Kim was later found dead due to exposure.

In my state the State PD is responsible for missing person searches, they are much better equipped with helicopters with FLIR & spot lights than CAP will ever be.  They also have a plan to utilize other volunteers that show up to assist in searches.    I wouldn't be surprised in the future if they even take over aircraft searches as well.
RM   

♠SARKID♠

I almost sure in WIWG it has been done in the past.  I believe it was during a search in Jackson Marsh where the air was crowded with news choppers.  A couple calls to the FAA and a TFR was put in place.