Old Style USAF uniform for Cadets

Started by spacecommand, July 25, 2010, 11:35:16 PM

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DakRadz on July 30, 2010, 12:25:29 AM
If you had the old style pants and service coat, would you not also need to have an old-style flight cap? And for Honor Guard/cadet officers, what about a different cover on the service cap?

This thought just struck me... I've never heard anyone point this out, nor seen the regs mention it.

While not codified in the regs, matching the flight cap to the uniform looks better. AF MCSS currently only stocks the 1620 polywool flight cap, though you might find a 1625 doubleknit polyester flight cap sold by Vanguard (until the stocks are gone). The service cap only comes in 1625 new, though you may find older shades in surplus.

Personally, I would have liked to see the cadet airman/NCO 'cookie' as the hat device for cadet enlisted in the honor/color guard. But I didn't write the regs...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

HGjunkie

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 30, 2010, 01:04:53 PM
If you had the old style pants and service coat, would you not also need to have an old-style flight cap? And for Honor Guard/cadet officers, what about a different cover on the service cap?

This thought just struck me... I've never heard anyone point this out, nor seen the regs mention it.

While not codified in the regs, matching the flight cap to the uniform looks better. AF MCSS currently only stocks the 1620 polywool flight cap, though you might find a 1625 doubleknit polyester flight cap sold by Vanguard (until the stocks are gone). The service cap only comes in 1625 new, though you may find older shades in surplus.

Personally, I would have liked to see the cadet airman/NCO 'cookie' as the hat device for cadet enlisted in the honor/color guard. But I didn't write the regs...
NO NO NO. That would look terrible on the HG uniform.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JayT

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 30, 2010, 01:08:19 PM

But why should Cadet Airmen/NCO's wear what was the Cadet Officers cap device?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Майор Хаткевич

Great! Encourage the cadets to promote to past C/CMSgt

HGjunkie

Quote from: JThemann on July 30, 2010, 07:01:56 PM

But why should Cadet Airmen/NCO's wear what was the Cadet Officers cap device?
Well, for one, it creates uniformity within the HG uniform, and second, it you're wondering that, it's the same reason that females wear the male officer cap for HG.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Patterson

Perhaps the reasons are very simple.

There were many "old style jackets" available when the CAP uniform manual changed, and there was a large phase-in period for Senior Member Officers to purchase the current version of the Jacket during the 1998-2001 Phase-in.

Second, the last time 39-1 was printed was 2005?!?!  Really it was just a rehash of the previous version, and only included removing a few items and adding a few items. Not since the 1987 CAP Manual 39-1 was rewritten were there many changes.  All just color changes of rank slides etc.  They all were announced in change letters sent to all units between 1990 and 1996. 

Finally, there are many old style jackets floating around out there.  Why would we give that up?  Do you want to tell a Cadet he has to purchase a Jacket?  It doen't matter if the jacket is only $10.00 off of ebay.  We MUST limit costs, not add to them!!

Limit expenses, keep more members.   

DC

Quote from: Patterson on August 01, 2010, 09:50:33 PM
Finally, there are many old style jackets floating around out there.  Why would we give that up?  Do you want to tell a Cadet he has to purchase a Jacket?  It doen't matter if the jacket is only $10.00 off of ebay.  We MUST limit costs, not add to them!!

By that logic maybe we shouldn't have transitioned to BDUs in the '90s. After all, members had to buy *gasp!* them. Same deal when we move to ABUs in a few years.

IMHO saving $10 is not a valid reason to keep 20 year old uniform items in service.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DC on August 01, 2010, 10:10:42 PM

By that logic maybe we shouldn't have transitioned to BDUs in the '90s. After all, members had to buy *gasp!* them. Same deal when we move to ABUs in a few years.

IMHO saving $10 is not a valid reason to keep 20 year old uniform items in service.

I joined in 2003, so we called them Old Style and New Style.

Though Olde Style and Current was and now is even more appropriate.

Patterson

However, in the 1990's when we transitioned to BDU's, the mandatory wear date was not until......1993.  The Military had them since 1984.  Also, we were able to purchase NEW BDU's for under $55.00  Show me where I can get an Air Force Service Jacket NEW for $55.00 for all of my Cadets....? 

davidsinn

Quote from: Patterson on August 02, 2010, 12:03:59 AM
Show me where I can get an Air Force Service Jacket NEW for $55.00 for all of my Cadets....?

Show me where it's required to have one?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on August 02, 2010, 12:11:25 AM
Show me where I can get an Air Force Service Jacket NEW for $55.00 for all of my Cadets....?

^+1

DC

However, in the 1990's when we transitioned to BDU's, the mandatory wear date was not until......1993.  The Military had them since 1984.  Also, we were able to purchase NEW BDU's for under $55.00  Show me where I can get an Air Force Service Jacket NEW for $55.00 for all of my Cadets....?
You stated in your earlier post that:

It doen't matter if the jacket is only $10.00 off of ebay.

If you are willing to issue them used old-style coats then why not hunt down some cheap used current style?

And this.

DakRadz

Long-sleeve blues shirt is plenty formal if you want to buy new only, and even better used. Add a lightweight jacket and you're good to go.

If you really need service coats, they have a guarantee.
http://cgi.ebay.com/USAF-SERVICE-JACKET-CLASS-ENLISTED-MENS-WOMENS-COAT-/300373762173?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45efabe07d
$39.99- Free Shipping- EXCELLENT LIKE NEW CONDITION NO HOLES, TEARS, OR STAINS

Or, for lightweight jackets (much more realistic and useful)
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-AIR-FORCE-LIGHTWEIGHT-JACKET-MENS-WOMENS-JROTC-CAP-/250541795560?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a557468e8
Exact same as the price and text I posted above.
These come in men and women's, and specifically mention CAP in the ad :D

I don't have money to burn; I've only purchased the service coat. I have all of the USAF uniform pieces because of sharing with AFJROTC- that's how I form my opinions, wearing the stuff.
As DC said, a little fundraising and some research could easily provide a unit with all extra uni items, if they so desired.

YMMV

Patterson

Quote from: DC on August 02, 2010, 01:25:43 AM

You stated in your earlier post that:

It doen't matter if the jacket is only $10.00 off of ebay.

If you are willing to issue them used old-style coats then why not hunt down some cheap used current style?

And this.

Ok......I was giving an example of cost saving in part 1 you quoted, and I never said that Blues jackets were required in the Second part you assumed I said.

Let also be known that the BDU's are an optional item.  Really, Cadets must wear the AF Blues shirt and pants.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Wow...trying to express that at the time we switched to the current version, it would be cost saving to keep Cadets in the old version is difficult.  Not my fault the reg writers at National have not updated 39-1 yet.

Do you want to be the guy that takes away the hundreds of free blues jackets hanging in my Supply Room??  If so, I will be happy to take away your BDU Pants!!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 01, 2010, 10:47:50 PM
I joined in 2003, so we called them Old Style and New Style.

Though Olde Style and Current was and now is even more appropriate.

Tony Nelson and Tony McPeak.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011