In CAP, what counts as a BFR?

Started by simon, July 22, 2010, 08:28:19 PM

simon

1. Does an initial Form 5 count as a BFR?

2. What about an annual F5?

3. What about an add on? Say, a G1000? I know it does not reset your F5, but does it count as a BFR?

(I understand that if the answer to (1) was no then the rest of the questions would be irrelevant)

4. An IPC?

5. An instrument add on?

vento

F5 is a CAP thing while the BFR is a FAA req. The answer you will get depends on the CheckPilot doing your F5, his or her CFI status and the extend of the review being performed. As long as the review (F5 or otherwise) meets the FAA req and your CheckPilot (who must be CFI or CFII) agrees with it, then you can kill two birds with one stone.

SilverEagle2

No...an initial, or any other CAPF5, does not in itself constitute a Flight Review.

It can if the CFI administering the CAPF5 wishes to complete the items for a Flight Review as part of the check ride.

Incidentally, if you are a participant in the FAA Wings program and the CFI is a registered validator, then you can get 3 flight and 2 knowledge credits towards your Flight Review with WINGS. This leaves only 1 credit remaining to complete which can be done online through ASF course, AOPA, or another Online Course that gives the appropriate credit.

Any addons again could if the CFI completes the FAA requirements as well as the CAP. However, addons are typically limited in time and scope and Flight Review's are not.

Hope that helps.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

bosshawk

What Silver Eagle says is pretty much right on.  In my experience, if you ask your Form 5 Check Pilot, in advance, if he can make this a Flight Review(BFR is an incorrect term), he/she can plan on spending the additional time necessary to make the ride a FR.  You are being unfair and, in a way, rude and inconsiderate is you spring it on him/her at the time of the Form 5.  Communication has a habit of being appreciated: in just about every situation.

BTW: I have done a Form 5, a Flight Review and an Instrument Proficiency Check on the same ride.  Took some time and prep, but it was a very satisfying ride.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SilverEagle2

I meant to say that BFR is no longer correct as well. Thanks for the catch sir.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

bosshawk

Just trying to keep things correct.  I like your signature quotation: I subscribe wholeheartedly to that thought.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

simon

Thanks. I think I'll go for the Wings thing.