Flying For the Civil Air Patrol

Started by C172N, July 21, 2010, 04:34:38 PM

Short Field

You took the bait and now the cadet is rolling on the floor laughing about how he turned this into a uniform thread...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

N Harmon

Pilots are only allowed 4 hours a month of self-funded proficiency flying?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Al Sayre

Quote from: simon on July 25, 2010, 05:06:20 AM
...Snip

The fact is, due to age, you won't be flying solo in a CAP plane for two years. Once you get there, pilots are only allowed four hours self-funded proficiency per month.  ...Snip...
As for funded missions, you would need additional training and review (Don't underestimate this - it is not just paying a CFI to pass you) which takes about another year after you join. Even then, funded missions only happen a couple of times a month and you would be competing with far more experienced crews for the missions.

Not sure where this is coming from, but it's not 60-1.  As a cadet you can take self funded primary training in CAP Aircraft and solo and do a CAPF5 when you are 16.  What you can't do is pay your instructor for the lessons in a CAP aircraft.  When you are 17, you can get your PPL and CAPF5 and fly CAP aircraft (just not with other cadets and no AFAM's until you turn 18).  At 18 you can fly AFAM's as PIC provided there are no cadets on the flight crew.  In fact I have a C/Amn who is already a PPL and checked out in C172 and C182/G1000 and just submitted his brand new Commercial license  and CFI ticket for validation.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

simon

I'm not talking about your cadet. I'm talking about this guy. No CAP CFI is going to train him to fly for free just to see him skip off for the airlines as soon as he has what he wants.

DakRadz

Hit. And. Run.

Please don't fight amongst each other; obviously genius has gone on, if he ever existed to the extent he claimed.

Oi, Mike! We got GSW here, need a modic to lock the place down!

simon

Fair enough. My comments were not intended to be combative.

But I have to ask...what's GSW?

DakRadz

Didn't mean to accuse, though I did, a bit.

Mostly hoping that everyone would avoid that level. "Gun Shot Wound" Being that the guy did a driveby to get us all riled up.

No point in even a "discussion" since the board as a whole pretty much called the guy out on his foundation of "accomplishments"

Now, let's all gather 'round for a soothing verse of "Kum Ba Yah" as we drink some tea to calm us down from our troll experience.

Everyone who posted here, or read this topic, has no excuse for not checking under the bridge before crossing from now on. :D

Short Field

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 26, 2010, 07:50:05 PM
As a cadet you can take self funded primary training in CAP Aircraft and solo and do a CAPF5 when you are 16.  What you can't do is pay your instructor for the lessons in a CAP aircraft. 
The real trick is to find a CAP CFI willing to provide instruction for free.  Several of our local CAP CFIs have stopped giving instruction in CAP aircraft because they are full time CFIs and giving free lessons just takes money out of their pockets. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

simon

I agree.

I progressed as fast as I wanted through FAA private, instrument, commercial etc., because the relationship with the instructor was straight business.

Getting to be a CAP Mission Pilot has, even after I had my FAA ratings, has been a two year slog because the check pilots, many who have regular non flying jobs and families, have to sacrifice their time for free. Personally, I wince having to ask favors for training and check rides. I'd rather just pay. My view is that unpaid CFI's hamstrings CAP's ability to get enough good aircrew and keep them current.

At the same time, I doubt the Air Force would run with allowing CFI's to be paid.

Eclipse

Quote from: simon on July 30, 2010, 05:26:06 AM
Getting to be a CAP Mission Pilot has, even after I had my FAA ratings, has been a two year slog because the check pilots, many who have regular non flying jobs and families, have to sacrifice their time for free. Personally, I wince having to ask favors for training and check rides. I'd rather just pay. My view is that unpaid CFI's hamstrings CAP's ability to get enough good aircrew and keep them current.

Yeah, lots of us do.  We're referred to as "volunteer members", and we all bring our skills to the table for free, and spend time away from our families.  Pilots are no different than accountants, lawyers, or IT people.  You're not asking them for a "favor", you're asking them to do their job.

You shouldn't feel any worse asking a CAP check pilot to do his job than you would asking the FM to process a reimbursement check, or the ESO to show you how the L-Per works.  That pilot wants to be there, and accepted the responsibility, if he's a PITA about scheduling
a check ride, he doesn't deserve the job.

"That Others May Zoom"

simon

How do you have a regular non flying job, a family and act as a CAP check pilot and still have the time to make 9,000 posts?

Even Sarah Palin doesn't have that much time.

vento

Quote from: simon on July 30, 2010, 07:18:45 AM
How do you have a regular non flying job, a family and act as a CAP check pilot and still have the time to make 9,000 posts?

Even Sarah Palin doesn't have that much time.

Didn't Capt Sulu once said: "If it's important to you, you make time for it..." or something to that effect?  ;)

Flying Pig

Guys.....hes gone.  Let it goooooooooo.