Flying For the Civil Air Patrol

Started by C172N, July 21, 2010, 04:34:38 PM

C172N

I plan to apply for a Pilot's position in March, when I turn 17.

My qualifications as followed:
Private Pilot's License
Instrument Rating
100-110 hours..TT
Multi Engine Time (3-5 hours)
75 of that PIC..mostly X-Country time
25 hours Mountain time

It says you need 200 hours to fly as a "mission pilot"...Can I fly for the CAP as a non-mission pilot while building PIC time?

How many hours can I expect to fly a month?

C172N

Also if I can't join the CAP and fly for them until I meet the 200 hour quota, Is there a discount on rental aircraft for being a part of the CAP? Say 65/hr instead of 100hr?

davidsinn

Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 04:34:38 PM
I plan to apply for a Pilot's position in March, when I turn 17.

My qualifications as followed:
Private Pilot's License
Instrument Rating
100-110 hours..TT
Multi Engine Time (3-5 hours)
75 of that PIC..mostly X-Country time
25 hours Mountain time

It says you need 200 hours to fly as a "mission pilot"...Can I fly for the CAP as a non-mission pilot while building PIC time?

How many hours can I expect to fly a month?

You need to be 18 to be aircrew. There are non-mission pilot qualifications but I don't know how that would work out for a minor. You should join just to be a cadet and let the flying stuff come later.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

All aircrew position require you be 18.

If you complete you can rent CAP aircraft you are qualified for at significantly reduced rates (i.e. $35 per hour dry for a 172).

You do not need to be qualified mission aircrew to rent the planes, only have completed the Form 5 check ride in the respective airframe.

At 17 you will have no choice but to join as  cadet.

You can fly as much as your the aircraft availability, your availability, and your finances can support.

"That Others May Zoom"

C172N

Wow! So It'll be about 40/hr wet then.

Nice. That beats 100/Hr..

C172N

What about as a Student Pilot? If my CFI signs me off, can I rent from the CAP?

Eclipse

Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 04:54:47 PM

You must be a fully qualified and licensed pilot to take the check ride.  Student pilots cannot take a form 5.

I thought you said above you had a PPL?

Actually, as  cadet, CAP does allow for primary instruction by a qualified CFI.  That CFI would also have to be a member and qualified as a CAP pilot.

Seniors are not allowed to take primary instruction.

"That Others May Zoom"

C172N

Okay.

So I'm looking at an average of 35-45 an hour dry then? I live in Colorado..

A.Member

Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 04:54:47 PM
You must have your private certificate.  Student pilot does not cut it. 

Let's be clear...you are able to rent the aircraft.  However, there are a few very important restrictions - we're not a FBO:

1.  You must wear a uniform
2.  Only CAP members are allowed to fly in the aircraft (ie. no joy rides for friends and family)
3.  Aircraft must remain within state unless explicitly authorized

As stated earlier, if your primary draw to CAP is cheap flying and not the overall mission, then you're best to look elsewhere.  However, if you truly in interested in serving, then you may find it to be a good fit.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

davidsinn

Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 04:52:43 PM

How do you get 40/hr wet? 36/hr dry + 4/gal*8.5gal/hr is around 70/hr wet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

C172N

I think you misunderstood my post!. I'm only 16, and my qualifications when I turn 17 would be as followed. ( PPL, Instrument Multi Engine time etc)

And honestly yes, I am looking for a cheap way to build hours for my CPL so I can move onto a flying job. However I do want to serve my Country and I don't mind volunteering what so  ever or wearing a uniform. I used to be a boy scout..made it to "life" rank. I'm not looking for joy rides.

*Even so, 65-70 hour wet beats 100.hr.

A.Member

Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 05:04:42 PM
I think you misunderstood my post!. I'm only 16, and my qualifications when I turn 17 would be as followed. ( PPL, Instrument Multi Engine time etc)

And honestly yes, I am looking for a cheap way to build hours for my CPL so I can move onto a flying job. However I do want to serve my Country and I don't mind volunteering what so  ever or wearing a uniform. I used to be a boy scout..made it to "life" rank. I'm not looking for joy rides.

*Even so, 65-70 hour wet beats 100.hr.
Then, quite frankly, you need to find a good flying club.

A number of organizations put out scholarships that can assist in funding flying.   Check into those.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

C172N

I would like to fly for the CAP when I turn 18. To serve my country...I don't want to join a flying club.

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on July 21, 2010, 05:02:06 PM
Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 04:52:43 PM

How do you get 40/hr wet? 36/hr dry + 4/gal*8.5gal/hr is around 70/hr wet.

I thought the same thing.  We usually scratch pad quote about $85 an hour for our aircraft.

A few other things to bear in mind.

The airframe you want may be on the other side of the state - CAP is moving increasingly to 182's with glass cockpits.  You have to check out on every unique aircraft you want to fly.

Also, I usually advise that new members should not expect to get much stick time for the first 6 months, as they are ramped-up into
CAP's systems and procedures.  As a cadet the expectations for regular participation will be much higher than a senior member (i.e. weekly meetings and progression).  Failure to participate regularly or not progressing would be an issue, and would impact your ability to
even have access to our aircraft.

"That Others May Zoom"

C172N

85/HR for a 182 G1000 isn't bad. Not at all.

And again bear in mind I will fully participate in all activities and meetings. Bear in mind I'm a ex Boy Scout. During those years I had hundreds of hours of volunteer experience as well as a excellent track record for making every meeting/event.

Eclipse

Quote from: C172N on July 21, 2010, 05:07:54 PM
I would like to fly for the CAP when I turn 18. To serve my country...I don't want to join a flying club.

I would suggest finding a unit near you and seeing what they are about.  They should welcome a new cadet
who is also a pilot.

If the cadet part of the program doesn't interest you, then you will need to wait until you are 18 and then join as
a senior member, you might find, however, that yo like being a cadet and the many opportunities that offers, and
you can stay a cadet until you are 21.

As a cadet over 18 you can fly as aircrew and do just about anything else in CAP from an aircrew perspective,
as long as you understand that as long as it says "cadet" on your ID, you are not considered an adult in the eyes of the program.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2010, 04:57:52 PMSeniors are not allowed to take primary instruction.

Not entirely true (as a blanket statement)
See CAPR 60-1 sec. 2-8C (2)
Paramedic
hang-around.

Flying Pig

So, essentially, you just turned 16 years old 4 months ago.  Your a cadet if you choose to join.  On top of that, you are a very low time, young (kid) pilot.  I probably wouldnt let you fly my Squadrons plane for some time and definitely not as soon as you join.  I wouldn't expect to start racking up hours right away.   I have had CFII's from the local flight school look at joining, and when they found out what it actually took to become a CAP member and pilot, they quickly lost interest. Your a student pilot who is anticipating having an Instrument rating and 110hrs by the time your 17?  And you are looking at CAP as a way to build cheap time towards your Commercial?  Your a student pilot with 25hrs of mountain time?  Is that flying "in" or "over" the mountains?  Also, side note, If you dont have a multi engine rating, you dont have ANY multi-engine "time".  Your buddy letting your fly doesnt count.
As a cadet, I wouldnt join CAP with the expectation of racking up large amounts of hours.  Honestly, join CAP as a cadet, and it will be up to your Squadron and Regs.  But if your just joining to get cheap flight time, I dont know that your in the right mindset to do what needs to be done just to be a cadet.    Sounds to me like someone mentioned CAP as a way for you to build cheap flight time, and your pretty excited.  Good for you.  But be ready to join the program as a whole, not because of flight time.  Also, do you have a CAP plane near you?  Not all CAP units have airplanes.
Good Luck.

So, instead of telling us what you think you might have next year, what do you actually have NOW as far as time and ratings?

Short Field

Quote from: A.Member on July 21, 2010, 05:01:27 PM
1.  You must wear a uniform
2.  Only CAP members are allowed to fly in the aircraft (ie. no joy rides for friends and family)
3.  Aircraft must remain within state unless explicitly authorized
A CAP cadet pilot may not carry another cadet in the aircraft as a crew member or passenger.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

C172N

Well...

I have 45 hours TT now. 7ish of that is Mountain PIC time. I'm half way through my Instrument rating and I have 4 hour dual multi engine in a 310.

So yeah, I believe my estimates are correct and I just started flying in May.