Main Menu

Waiting To Join

Started by MIKE, November 25, 2006, 07:28:26 PM

MIKE

Both units I have been at had prospective members wait at least three weeks before submitting a CAPF 15 or CAPF 12.  Anyone else see the liability issue with this?  I've encountered some other issues stemming form non-members who were in limbo as well.

Mike Johnston

Chris Jacobs

I think that it is a really good idea.  I think having them come to 3 meetings and watching what every one is doing is no more of a liability issue than a parent showing up to watch something.  This time allows the new person to see if the program is really for them, and cuts out some of the people that will join and then never be heard from again in a month.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

arajca

Having potential members atend three meeting is smart. They get a better feeling for the organization and how is really works.

That being said, when there are potential members at a meeting, a member should be assigned to assist them and provide information. Usually, a senior cadet is assigned to a potential cadet (which cadet assigned is up the the cadet commadner) and the PDO, CDC, CDS or Pers is assigned to a potential senior member - at least in my unit. Potential members should never be left standing around and looking at what's happening. Plus, it helps avoid potential CPPT issues.

lordmonar

A potential member at a normal unit activity would be covered under CAP liablity.  Just as anyone walking by the CAP officer is covered under our liablity.  They would be covered on under injury/damage to 2nd party (or is it 3rd pary) protection.

Just as if you ran you plane into NON-CAP property CAP would pay off...if anyone at a CAP meeting (doing normal meeting type stuff) were injured (say slipped on some ice or the over head light fell on their head) CAP would cover them.

I would stress that NO non-CAP member is to ever participate in other CAP activiites beyond normal meetings or recruiting events.  At that point they must be members to be covered or they have to fill out the release forms (I don't recall the form number).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Our unit almost always waits until a member comes to their second meeting before giving them the application forms and fingerprint cards that they then turn in on their third meeting.  For the same reasons already given.

DNall

I've done it a couple ways at a couple dif units. We give the shpeal the first night & let tehm know they are free to come to a couple meetings & check it out, but they can't stay for over a month unless they fill out paperwork. I've also been at a unit where we ran our cadet program on a strict quarterly schedule & did not allow people to join more than a month out from our next session. That worked very effectively. You may think it would make them diappear, but quite the opposite. Making it seem exclusive & difficult resulted in much better percentages going thru with the process & staying on for at least six months, after that it's all about if the program has met their expectations or not, which is also more about what you hold back than what you give.

RiverAux

Quotebut they can't stay for over a month unless they fill out paperwork.
Never had a problem with a prospective senior member continuing to come to meetings without filling out paperwork.  Wouldn't be too surprised to see it with cadets though.

RogueLeader

We normally have our prospective members wait at least two weeks for giving them a CAPF 12- not sure on Cadets.  We've had a few members decide to wait until they could get the $70 start up cost, but there was never a problem at the squadron.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Camas

The squadron with whom I was associated prior to being assigned to wing has always had its members, both cadet and CAP, attend three meeting or functions prior to acceptance for membership.  And, it's worked well.  I served as squadron orientation officer for a time and came up with a questionnaire for new CAP members that seems to be of some use in determining factors such as experience, education, interests and so on.  If anyone would like a copy please email me and I'll be happy to share it to you.