Cadets struggling with CPFT

Started by Cleaver, May 11, 2010, 11:39:58 PM

tsrup

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 13, 2010, 05:13:46 AM
Sometimes, all it takes is just talking to the cadets that are having the issues.

Just like the boomer generation, winning is a very big deal to the cadets that are coming up now.  They're raised to be over-achievers, compete for slots in everything, etc.  Giving them some perspective that they're doing a great job and that everyone has something that is their challenge in life can go a long way.

I had a cadet that took a year to shave 9 minutes off their mile run time until they got promoted.  We talked quite a bit about diet, working out routines and facing challenges head on.  It took a year, but he finally made it.  Put some (good) pressure on them to succeed, talk about some of the carrots in front of them.  Keep reminding them of how well they're doing in the rest of the program, etc.

Just be supportive and offer to help them in any way you can.  The cadet program needs good mentors and leaders for just these situations. 

Thanks for supporting them!

This +10000   :clap:
Paramedic
hang-around.

heliodoc

^^^

Good work tsrup!!

Mentorship is what is sorely lacking in CAP.  Sure it takes time to mentor people

What's this organization about anyway??  Bling and self promotion/ self service.  Sure is.  See it plenty in CAP ,,,,if it's not benefiting ME..I am not going to do it....not going to instruct.

But you see some of these CAPTalkers talkin LARGE for the 2b pile ready to sign and drum em out of the program!!

Sure there are REGS ....which many here on CAPTalk are SOOOOOO fond  of and ready to cite regs as if it was the only thing to do in CAP.

Sit down with the people and cadets that need to meet the requirements and push em along a little...

Community service in CAP??  That is a BS card when Sqdn CC's  and other a re ready to give the boot when CAP is trying to find ways to bolster the organization.  Want to help CAP bolster ranks.....help the folks out til they want the help then MAYBE start the 2b process

Which is it CAPTalkers??  Maintaining what Sqdn have through membership and building it up? 

Can't have it both ways in a VOLUNTEER organization.   Maybe when the AF starts really putting the hammer down......then SOME of you CAPTalkers will have your glory daze writing all the offenders of the uniform and PT a 2b.  I know, I know we have regs and plenty of us are following them..but there are CAPTalker here who seem to be self appointed uniform and PT monitors.

Surely not mentors by any stretch of the imagination ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seabee219

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2010, 12:13:28 AM
Quote from: Cleaver on May 11, 2010, 11:39:58 PMThey are struggling to pass the CPFT and earn their curry achievement.

Confiscate their X-box...
Nice touch, to many games.....
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people