Flying Minute Men Audio Book

Started by James Shaw, November 14, 2006, 02:06:10 PM

James Shaw

I have seen alot of discussion and talk about preserving the history of Civil Air Patrol on this forum and as a Historian it makes me feel pretty good. One of the problems that we have is distribution and availability of these materials. So it makes me feel even better to let everyone know that the book Flying Minute Men by Robert E. Neprud the story of the Civil Air Patrol published in 1948 will soon be availble in a new format.

:clap: :clap: Flying Minute Men by Robert E. Neprud will now be available in Audio-Book Format :clap: :clap:

The book has been recorded in it's entirety as an audio-book and CAP will start looking at ways to market it. Between 6-7 Hours of audio tracks on about 8-10 cd's.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Pylon

Quote from: caphistorian on November 14, 2006, 02:06:10 PM
I have seen alot of discussion and talk about preserving the history of Civil Air Patrol on this forum and as a Historian it makes me feel pretty good. One of the problems that we have is distribution and availability of these materials. So it makes me feel even better to let everyone know that the book Flying Minute Men by Robert E. Neprud the story of the Civil Air Patrol published in 1948 will soon be availble in a new format.

:clap: :clap: Flying Minute Men by Robert E. Neprud will now be available in Audio-Book Format :clap: :clap:

The book has been recorded in it's entirety as an audio-book and CAP will start looking at ways to market it. Between 6-7 Hours of audio tracks on about 8-10 cd's.

Will it be available for download from iTunes?  ;)

I always like the audiobook format -- it allows me to get in some extra education on my hour round-trip commute each day... unless I'm listening to NPR.   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

The Audio Version will be used to help raise money for the Historical Committee. I Do not see it being made available for I tunes. But I am not the one who makes those decisions. I believe it will be offere for a donation to the Historical Committee. There again I am not sure.
Jim Shaw

Hawk200

Any further info on this audiobook? I would love to get a hold of this book. Although I will probably rip it, stuff it on an SD card and plug into my MP3 player. Either way, it would be neat.

James Shaw

The audio book was finished today and "master copies" were sent to certain NHQ folks. Will be a few weeks before any real word. 7 CD's and 7:47 Minutes of Audio. MAJOR MAJOR PROJECT finally complete.
Jim Shaw

Pylon

Quote from: caphistorian on November 28, 2006, 12:37:34 AM
The audio book was finished today and "master copies" were sent to certain NHQ folks. Will be a few weeks before any real word. 7 CD's and 7:47 Minutes of Audio. MAJOR MAJOR PROJECT finally complete.

Congrats!

On an partially unrelated topic, I'd love for the cadet texts (Leadership & AE) be made into self-study audiobooks as well.  If Cadet Jones could download his next leadership chapter onto his iPod and listen to it a few times while running or whatever, I could see the measured benefit.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alamrcn

I must have passed over this old thred before, just saw it! Seveal questions for you if they are not too dated now...

1. Any updates on the availability of this audiobook? I'd like to invest in it.

2. Nobody asked yet, but anyone we know do the reading? Harison Ford would have been REALLY cool -- he's the EAA Young Eagles figure head, ya'know.

3. National Historian Emeretis, Lt Col Greg Weidenfeld amoung others have recorded interviews with coastal patrol pilots and personnel. Any future to releasing those?

4. The "Historical Comittee" was mentioned, has this group been reinstated? Originally composed of the likes of Louisa Morse, Lester Hoper, Lee Ragan, Alan Pagorski <sp?>, amoung others... it was disbanded in the early 90s by the National Commander which was BGen Berry, maybe? If it is back, HORRAH - tell us more! But I think maybe you were referring to the CAP Historical Foundation headed up by Drew Steketee.

Sorry to bring up a thred that stopped last December, but I thought maybe an update was in order for those interested.

Thanks,
- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

Is it narrated by Morgan Freeman or Angela Landsbury??

;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

James Shaw

Quote from: alamrcn on May 15, 2007, 03:45:38 AM
I must have passed over this old thred before, just saw it! Seveal questions for you if they are not too dated now...

1. Any updates on the availability of this audiobook? I'd like to invest in it.

2. Nobody asked yet, but anyone we know do the reading? Harison Ford would have been REALLY cool -- he's the EAA Young Eagles figure head, ya'know.

3. National Historian Emeretis, Lt Col Greg Weidenfeld amoung others have recorded interviews with coastal patrol pilots and personnel. Any future to releasing those?

4. The "Historical Comittee" was mentioned, has this group been reinstated? Originally composed of the likes of Louisa Morse, Lester Hoper, Lee Ragan, Alan Pagorski <sp?>, amoung others... it was disbanded in the early 90s by the National Commander which was BGen Berry, maybe? If it is back, HORRAH - tell us more! But I think maybe you were referring to the CAP Historical Foundation headed up by Drew Steketee.

Sorry to bring up a thred that stopped last December, but I thought maybe an update was in order for those interested.

Thanks,
- Ace

1) The audio book is being looked at by I believe Bantam Books...no further info yet on the availability timeline?

2) Yes the audiobook was recorded in my home studio ... Harrison Ford cost to much for  the budget. Spent about a year working on the project.

3) CAP Historical Folks looking at copyright issues now with information like that. Also have interviews of some past CC's.

4) We still call ourselves this but it isnt anything "official" we are all attached to NHQ I just use the term.
Jim Shaw