"Warning" towns about CAP exercises

Started by RiverAux, March 21, 2010, 09:31:20 PM

RiverAux

On a fairly regular basis by news alerts catch stories about upcoming CAP/DoD exercises over Washington DC, primarily air intercept missions between CAP and fighter jets.  Given the area this is probably a good idea.

But, I'm a little surprised to see it being done in Houston: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6920305.html

While, I'm all for pre-SAREX press releases, what do you guys think about this sort of "don't be worried about those planes" type of release for what seems to be a routine CAP-only SAREX?   

On the one hand, it obviously worked to get the story in the paper, but it just seems to be a bit too much for me.  Is it really in the interests of CAP and the GA community to stoke people's worries about GA aircraft like this?  (After writing this I see that one of the people that responded online to the news story expressed similar concerns -- every one was saying how great CAP is).

Eclipse

It never hurts and may open up a dialog with the town as to who we are and what we can do.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Last thing we want is a "Gover's Mill" like panic because CAP aircraft and vans are traversing the country side.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Short Field

We try to let the local ATC folks know when we exercise and put out practice beacons and dummy aircraft.  A press release "warning" the public is a good idea - and it ensures some decent publicity.

Kudos to the local PAO in Houston.   :clap:
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

cap235629

I routinely call the local 911 dispatch center to let them know what is going on.  We use county park land a lot for training.  In this day and age a phone call for an ammo can with an antenna sticking out would generate an interesting response to say the least.  Then add a bunch of people dressed in camouflage tromping around in the woods and things get real exciting real fast.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RiverAux

I'm not really talking about routine notifications to ATC, local LE, etc., but rather warning the public as if general aviation aircraft are something they should be worried about. 

arajca

Given some of the recent incidents involving GA aircraft meeting in the skies over populated areas, it's not a bad idea to let folks know we'll be flying over so they (hopefully) don't panic.

lordmonar

We have a crash simulator (canvas tarp that looks like an airplane) that has gotten several radio calls to ATC when we have set it up near one of the local FBO training areas.

Nothing is hurt by a little sensationalism.  I think you are just trying to drum up controversy where none exists.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

Works well for ES missions as well as exercises; as an IC  I've always let the local LE know when we'd have a GT or UDF team operating in a residential area or business district , especially when it's the traditional time for an ELT mission ("oh dark thirty"!)  :)

tdepp

Quote from: Short Field on March 21, 2010, 10:40:16 PM
We try to let the local ATC folks know when we exercise and put out practice beacons and dummy aircraft.  A press release "warning" the public is a good idea - and it ensures some decent publicity.

Kudos to the local PAO in Houston.   :clap:

Ditto the success the Houston PAO had. It was both good public relations and responsible to let people know something might be a little different above them in the skies. On the other hand, in my one year stint in Houston going to the U. of Houston Law Center, there were always so many news and traffic helicopters in the air, I'm surprised anyone would notice much difference.   ;)

I was a MS today in our 182 that circled and circled a small community so we could take flooding photos and the same thought crossed my mind: might people think something odd is going on to see and hear a small aircraft linger over a community at low altitude for a good hour?  We were assigned to take photos on the fly so we couldn't put out a release we were coming. But if we did the same thing over Houston or even Omaha, I'm thinking it might draw some attention from residents.  Our state EOC and State Radio knew were were flying as well as local authorities. 

But would it had surprised me to hear that citizens called law enforcement to report suspicious flying activity in our post-911/Crash into the IRS building world?  No, it wouldn't have.  We have told our citizens to be vigilant and many are.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

CAP Marine

Without speaking for our PAO I would say that there may have been some creative editing by the Houston Chronicle from what may have started as a press release and then spun into a "warning". Being in the Houston area I appreciate the press coverage, whether controversial or not. As was indicated above, the vast majority of the comments about the article online were positive.

NIN

Quote from: tdepp on March 22, 2010, 04:35:33 AM
But would it had surprised me to hear that citizens called law enforcement to report suspicious flying activity in our post-911/Crash into the IRS building world?  No, it wouldn't have.  We have told our citizens to be vigilant and many are.

Just you wait till they start equipping the local cops with Stingers...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Smithsonia

People running around in camo uniforms with radios and cameras will cause problems unless everybody in LE, Forest Service, Sheriff, HSD, or whatever jurisdiction - knows full and well what you are doing. Remember Air Force One over NYC was a problem and that cost a few jobs. In this (our) case, I don't think telling everyone that you are doing this or that (with out too much detail) is a bad thing.

I saw a Homeland Security Dept. video this weekend about the 8 steps to spot a terrorist. Amazingly, these are 8 things we do all the time... of course without any bad intentions. So surveillance, deployment, training, fund raising, out of the ordinary, etc. (which are things terrorist do -- but look like what we do too.) 
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Nick

I think it was a very prudent decision, especially considering it was Houston and the Austin (1-hour'ish flying time) deal last month is still very fresh on everyone's mind around here.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

tsrup

Maybe I just live in an overly conservative state but the presence of people in camo and with radios doesn't necessarily cause a panic.  After all that is the reason behind CAPR 900-3.  We don't carry firearms nor do we display knives strictly for the reason of NOT showing force.  Not to mention I have hardly seen anyone cry wolf over a group of 12 year olds wearing camo and orange vests..
However I DO agree with every attempt for a press release.  The public needs to know of our mission and how we serve our communities, however, presenting it as a "warning" may preclude the public to think there is something to "warn" about. 
Quote from: Smithsonia on March 22, 2010, 06:46:23 PM
. Remember Air Force One over NYC was a problem and that cost a few jobs.
Interesting, do you have any thing to back up the claim that this caused some lost jobs?
It was a faux pas but the AF did notify the proper authorities before commencing the flight.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Short Field

Quote from: tsrup on March 23, 2010, 04:04:09 AM
Quote from: Smithsonia on March 22, 2010, 06:46:23 PM
. Remember Air Force One over NYC was a problem and that cost a few jobs.
Interesting, do you have any thing to back up the claim that this caused some lost jobs?
It was a faux pas but the AF did notify the proper authorities before commencing the flight.
8 May 2009
WASHINGTON  - The White House  aide who okayed the $328,835 Air Force One  photo-op flight around the Statue of Liberty last week was sacked Friday. 
President Obama accepted the resignation of Louis Caldera, director of his military office, after an internal probe found Caldera disregarded recommendations the public be notified about the trip.

Wilson #2640

Nick

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Short Field

The big name gets the press - but they rarely go down alone....
Wilson #2640

Rotorhead

The concept of the pre-event news release is great.

However, if seeing small airplanes flying overhead frightens people, there's a bigger problem.

Whose idea was it that seeing Cessnas might worry the populace?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

tdepp

Quote from: Rotorhead on March 23, 2010, 12:20:00 PM

Whose idea was it that seeing Cessnas might worry the populace?
Rotor:
See the recent incident in Austin, TX where the crazy guy flew his light plane into the IRS office. 
Maybe we're overstating the concerns here.  But in the post-911 world, we all know that aircraft, including GA A/C like our Cessnas, can be used as a weapon by terrorists or nutjobs.  And there's certainly no harm in sending the local media a release that says we'll be flying in their area.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com