New Cadets / Parental Involvement

Started by TheSkyHornet, November 24, 2015, 07:44:37 PM

TheSkyHornet

We're starting a new training program based off of Cadet Great Start in the spring. While we have the cadet side covered as far as all of the training requirements and associated courses, I could use some ideas on the parent side.

How do we go about getting the parents involved in their son or daughter's membership as a CAP cadet? By involvement, I don't necessarily mean that they have to help out, become a sponsor, or become a senior member. I'm referring to the intent of having a vested interested in their child's activities. I've heard from some parents so far that say they really never understand what their cadet is talking about when they come home from meetings. Some parents seem to not really want to be that involved. Some parents really get into it and ask a lot of questions when they don't know something.

This subject came up at TLC, and the Wing recommendation was to develop pamphlets/handouts for parents so that they can follow along with activities, in addition to just receiving Form 32s for cadet participation permission. It's recommended that parents sit in on the first session of the Great Start class, which I'm a bit hesitant on. I'd rather parents come to the open houses, social events, and visit the squadron when their prospective cadet comes for his/her three weeks of curiosity. But we don't really want helicopter parents constantly shadowing their children around. If you can keep the parents involved, you can usually keep their kids involved. On a national level, only a third of cadets are retained after the first year of joining CAP. OHWG is just above the curve at little over 50% retention.

If I could get some ideas as to what other cadet/composite squadrons do to keep parents informed with a vested interested in the program.

MSG Mac

1. Enroll them in the Cadet Sponsor Program.
2. A Newsletter for the parents with a calendar of upcoming events.
3. Hold a "Parents Only" meeting to keep the parents involved.
4. Invite them to all Promotion and other events.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 24, 2015, 07:52:55 PM

1. Do you think the dues are a turn off for parents? I have yet to see a squadron that has actually managed to get paying CSMs to participate. I know they're out there, but I haven't come across it yet.

2. We're already gearing up for a newsletter for parents. We have a PA Cadet who's going to be helping out with that very soon. So I definitely like this idea.

3. I'm in huge favor of the Parents Only meetings, like a CAP version of Parent-Teacher conferences. I'd really like to hold these on a day separate from the squadron meeting. It's tough to get some people to help out with that sort of stuff. Right now, I'm the only Cadet Programs officer we have aside from the squadron staff officers directly under the CC. I know my face time with parents is important, but I'd like to get some of the other staff to attend who frequently interact with the cadets since I don't run the whole show. The problem I see is that with a cadet program and a senior member program, and virtually all of us wearing multiple hats, with the exception of myself as sole CP, it's just another night that seniors have to step away from their free time to participate in. I plan to bring this up at the staff meeting again in two weeks. Any expanded thoughts on this?

4. Already on it. We're going to be doing a lot more unlocked social activities in the future, so I'm looking forward to getting some invites out. We already invite the parents to promotions. I'd say it's about a 50/50 show for that (factoring in that a third of our cadets' parents are in the squadron).

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 24, 2015, 09:05:45 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on November 24, 2015, 07:52:55 PM

1. Do you think the dues are a turn off for parents? I have yet to see a squadron that has actually managed to get paying CSMs to participate. I know they're out there, but I haven't come across it yet.

2. We're already gearing up for a newsletter for parents. We have a PA Cadet who's going to be helping out with that very soon. So I definitely like this idea.

3. I'm in huge favor of the Parents Only meetings, like a CAP version of Parent-Teacher conferences. I'd really like to hold these on a day separate from the squadron meeting. It's tough to get some people to help out with that sort of stuff. Right now, I'm the only Cadet Programs officer we have aside from the squadron staff officers directly under the CC. I know my face time with parents is important, but I'd like to get some of the other staff to attend who frequently interact with the cadets since I don't run the whole show. The problem I see is that with a cadet program and a senior member program, and virtually all of us wearing multiple hats, with the exception of myself as sole CP, it's just another night that seniors have to step away from their free time to participate in. I plan to bring this up at the staff meeting again in two weeks. Any expanded thoughts on this?

4. Already on it. We're going to be doing a lot more unlocked social activities in the future, so I'm looking forward to getting some invites out. We already invite the parents to promotions. I'd say it's about a 50/50 show for that (factoring in that a third of our cadets' parents are in the squadron).

1. At my last 2 squadrons we had a few CSMs. Mostly they were parents that wanted to come play, but couldn't. So they paid. They don't have to be parents to be CSMs, remember.

2. A newsletter. Sorry if I sound jaded here, but they come off as cartoonish. What's plan B?

3. Parent meetings are a good idea. Have you considered teleconferences as an alternative to a face to face? Make a slide brief, have the conference call, give the info and be done with it. Maybe monthly telecons and a quarterly face to face? It's difficult to get everybody together, on off meeting nights.

4. in addition to the monthly promotions, hold an event. An annual holiday party or winter bash. Have a demo of your drill team/color guard, have displays about ES and CP. Invite the local political types...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

foo

Completely agree that a parent's involvement in their cadet's experience (not necessarily as a member) is a key to the cadet's success in the program. I also think it helps to make clear to prospective cadets and their parents -- before the membership deal is sealed -- the expectations of cadets to actively participate and pursue advancement in the program.

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 24, 2015, 07:44:37 PM
I'd rather parents come to the open houses, social events, and visit the squadron when their prospective cadet comes for his/her three weeks of curiosity. But we don't really want helicopter parents constantly shadowing their children around. If you can keep the parents involved, you can usually keep their kids involved. On a national level, only a third of cadets are retained after the first year of joining CAP. OHWG is just above the curve at little over 50% retention.
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 24, 2015, 09:05:45 PM

Careful. Are you suggesting that there are times when parents are not welcome at your unit meetings? That might be a violation of the CPP.

Quote from: 52-10 (2-3c)

Open Access. All CAP activities will be open to parental observation. Secret meetings are not permitted. Commanders and project officers will make reasonable accommodations to allow parents open access during the duty day. However, some environments such as operational missions and flying cannot accommodate non-members. Some activities hosted on military installations and other third-party secure facilities offer only limited access to civilians. In such instances, parental access might be limited to certain specially-designated times.

As long as they don't interfere, I think it's perfectly acceptable for parents to come to every meeting and activity to see what and how their child is doing in the program, especially in the beginning of the cadet's CAP career.

Quote from: THRAWN on November 24, 2015, 09:24:20 PM
1. At my last 2 squadrons we had a few CSMs. Mostly they were parents that wanted to come play, but couldn't. So they paid. They don't have to be parents to be CSMs, remember.

That's a true statement, but in case someone reading it thinks you mean anyone can be a CSM:

Quote from: 39-2 (5-2)

Membership Eligibility. CSMs must be a parent, grandparent or legal guardian of an active CAP cadet and meet all the regular senior member eligibility criteria outlined in paragraph 3-2. All prospective members must meet the Unit Membership Board as outlined in paragraph 1-5.

SarDragon

Helicopter parents tend to interfere. There's a huge difference between observing (necessary evil) and interfering (strongly discouraged).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on November 29, 2015, 06:11:26 AM
Helicopter parents tend to interfere. There's a huge difference between observing (necessary evil) and interfering (strongly discouraged).

That's what I was getting at. We can't tell parents not to attend, but we can have them sit out of certain activities. The point is to encourage them to let their cadet be a cadet.

Parents sometimes like to sit in on character development and chime in, which isn't prohibited but strongly discouraged. Some parents want to observe promotion boards. We'd like them to know what's going on in the program and staying interested, but not actively involved if they aren't a member of the squadron. And if they are a member, I prefer they don't always interact with what their son or daughter is engaging in.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 29, 2015, 05:06:54 PM

That's what I was getting at. We can't tell parents not to attend, but we can have them sit out of certain activities. The point is to encourage them to let their cadet be a cadet.

Parents sometimes like to sit in on character development and chime in, which isn't prohibited but strongly discouraged. Some parents want to observe promotion boards. We'd like them to know what's going on in the program and staying interested, but not actively involved if they aren't a member of the squadron. And if they are a member, I prefer they don't always interact with what their son or daughter is engaging in.

On parents sitting in on the Character Development class. Only with approval of the instructor. Same with the parents "participating" in the class.
Chaplains and Moral Leadership Instructors know what they're allowed to teach and what to avoid. Parents don't...

foo

Concur that parental interference is to be discouraged, but I don't see why parents observing meetings or other cadet activities would be considered a "necessary evil." I think it's a good thing for them to be there. Incidents of interference can be addressed on a case-by-case basis. I've never seen one, so maybe that's why I don't perceive it as much of a potential problem.

Generally agree.

I do understand the difference between observation and interaction, but you used language earlier that I perceived to mean that parents were not always welcome, thus my caution and reference to the regs. IMO it has to be more than "we can't tell parents not to attend." Parents are always welcome to attend, and I think it's a crucial aspect of reaching your goals of "getting the parents involved in their son or daughter's membership" and "having a vested interested in their child's activities."

foo

Quote from: PHall on November 29, 2015, 05:30:25 PM
On parents sitting in on the Character Development class. Only with approval of the instructor. Same with the parents "participating" in the class.
Chaplains and Moral Leadership Instructors know what they're allowed to teach and what to avoid. Parents don't...

With due respect, sir, a parent has every right to observe a CD class their child is attending, and without the instructor's approval.

Bears repeating:

Quote from: 52-10 (2-3c)
Open Access. All CAP activities will be open to parental observation. Secret meetings are not permitted.

They shouldn't presume to participate in the discussion unbidden, but responsible and consciencious parents will want to know what ideas about character and morality are being drilled into their child's mind.

Garibaldi

I've no issue with parental involvement, up to a point. Pretty much everyone on here has read my horror stories about parents that are way too involved and invested in their kids' CAP lives, so I'll TL;DR that.

Parents sitting in classes: Yes. Even CDI. I don't think they should participate unless all parties agree that it's a good thing, or you'll get a parent upset at the craftiness by which a strong moral message is couched. Heck, I don't even sit in on them, but I should.

Parents watching D&C: Yes. It's nice to see their faces when their kids do as they're told, with no backtalk and no attitude. Gives them hope for little Johnny or Susie.

Parents observing and ES class: By all means.

Parents observing an FTX/SAREX: No ****ing way. Too many rules in place about operational safety and personal safety and liability. Can we stop them from showing up? No. Can we ask that they leave or watch from a safe distance for liability reasons? Yes, after explaining if Johnny gets hurt, he's covered by all kinds of insurances, but if they get hurt, it's on them.

Parents standing by while Johnny or Susie is on an O-Flight: Fine by me, I don't care if they sit in on a ground class or briefing. They don't go nowhere nears the big red, white, and blue thing with the spinny thing on front.

Other activities: Well, if they want to get THAT involved, have them pays their money and takes their choice. Patron, CSM, full member, they get to stay around for the most part, driving, chaperoning, whatever. Johnny/Susie may not like it (God! Mom! What are you dooooooing here? You're embarrassing meeeeee!) but they can see what's going on. And read the regs and the forms and the manuals and take the classes.

The only real issue I have is over-involved parents in the direct CoC (or educational support) on the cadet side (CDC, Leadership, CDI, testing, etc.). Too many avenues for nepotism, favoritism, and failure IMO. YMMV.

But, in those cases, good leadership can fix those before they become a real issue.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Alaric

It may be strongly discouraged where you come from, but as we have an corporately mandated open access policy they are more than welcome at my squadron.  I have asked parents not to contribute to the conversation unless asked by the Chaplain or CDI but I want parents as involved as they are willing to be.

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 30, 2015, 01:31:45 PM
I've no issue with parental involvement, up to a point. Pretty much everyone on here has read my horror stories about parents that are way too involved and invested in their kids' CAP lives, so I'll TL;DR that.

Parents sitting in classes: Yes. Even CDI. I don't think they should participate unless all parties agree that it's a good thing, or you'll get a parent upset at the craftiness by which a strong moral message is couched. Heck, I don't even sit in on them, but I should.

Parents watching D&C: Yes. It's nice to see their faces when their kids do as they're told, with no backtalk and no attitude. Gives them hope for little Johnny or Susie.

Parents observing and ES class: By all means.

Parents observing an FTX/SAREX: No ****ing way. Too many rules in place about operational safety and personal safety and liability. Can we stop them from showing up? No. Can we ask that they leave or watch from a safe distance for liability reasons? Yes, after explaining if Johnny gets hurt, he's covered by all kinds of insurances, but if they get hurt, it's on them.

Parents standing by while Johnny or Susie is on an O-Flight: Fine by me, I don't care if they sit in on a ground class or briefing. They don't go nowhere nears the big red, white, and blue thing with the spinny thing on front.

Other activities: Well, if they want to get THAT involved, have them pays their money and takes their choice. Patron, CSM, full member, they get to stay around for the most part, driving, chaperoning, whatever. Johnny/Susie may not like it (God! Mom! What are you dooooooing here? You're embarrassing meeeeee!) but they can see what's going on. And read the regs and the forms and the manuals and take the classes.

The only real issue I have is over-involved parents in the direct CoC (or educational support) on the cadet side (CDC, Leadership, CDI, testing, etc.). Too many avenues for nepotism, favoritism, and failure IMO. YMMV.

But, in those cases, good leadership can fix those before they become a real issue.

It's a great opportunity for your PIO to get some hands on experience dealing with DVs during a mission. Granted, parents are often more difficult than political types, but the concepts are the same.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: PHall on November 29, 2015, 05:30:25 PM

I've had parents sitting in on my CD classes...hilarious, at times.  I hold them to the same level of accountability as the cadets, and make sure they understand that before they sit down.  Got two recruits that way.  In my time as the CDC I have also, sadly, had to request "in the strongest terms" that a parent step back and let the D&C instructor do their work.  We've generally discouraged attendance at promo boards but use that as an entry point into having a good discussion with the parent, to discover what their concerns are.

As for parents who are squadron members, I have to say that we've been very fortunate and those members have stepped away, to avoid even the inference of influence.

CAPDCCMOM

Most of the parents of my Cadets, I have begged to get involved. Alas, most of them slow down to 50 push Cadet out the car door and are gone. We are a small Squadron in a very small rural community. As a result, my son is also one of my Cadets, I am Deputy Commander for Cadets. I am lucky, we have fantastic leadership in our Squadron, and have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure there is no appearance of favoritism. I sit on the Promotion Board, but I only vote to break a tie, and I am not the Testing Officer, I also do not approve/ disapprove my own son's promotions.

Then we have the %1 of all parents, that we who are in Cadet Programs have had to deal with. The one that is furious that "Mommy's Precious Little Snowflake" had his/ her feelings hurt when he had to follow the rules. That Snowflake should just be promoted, "..after all it's only a club..". Snowflake calls all adults by their first names, what's wrong with that?

We are creating a Parent Orientation Letter that explains Cadet Expectations and Parental Responsibilities. I want the Parents to sign it, so I can have a copy for the Cadet file... just in case.

Garibaldi

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've had to stop cadets first-naming each other. First naming a SENIOR?

Fail.

People tend to treat it like a club when the atmosphere is club-like. The expectation is that the cadet program is WORK, not something they get handed badges and rank like they are candy. Have a talk with your cadet officers, then the senior NCOs. Have them understand it's right and proper that cadets address each other by their proper grade. Stop this first-naming of seniors NOW. You have a grade, rank, and title, and you EARNED it. Set the expectation that going forward, this will not be tolerated, and it will stop. If Snowflake doesn't like it, there's always JROTC or Girl Scouts.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on November 30, 2015, 05:02:46 PM
Most of the parents of my Cadets, I have begged to get involved. Alas, most of them slow down to 50 push Cadet out the car door and are gone. We are a small Squadron in a very small rural community. As a result, my son is also one of my Cadets, I am Deputy Commander for Cadets. I am lucky, we have fantastic leadership in our Squadron, and have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure there is no appearance of favoritism. I sit on the Promotion Board, but I only vote to break a tie, and I am not the Testing Officer, I also do not approve/ disapprove my own son's promotions.

Then we have the %1 of all parents, that we who are in Cadet Programs have had to deal with. The one that is furious that "Mommy's Precious Little Snowflake" had his/ her feelings hurt when he had to follow the rules. That Snowflake should just be promoted, "..after all it's only a club..". Snowflake calls all adults by their first names, what's wrong with that?

We are creating a Parent Orientation Letter that explains Cadet Expectations and Parental Responsibilities. I want the Parents to sign it, so I can have a copy for the Cadet file... just in case.

Interesting.  We are also a small rural squadron and my experience mirrors yours!  I *think* they get down to maybe 30mph but only due to the lack of turning room...! >:D

Your comment about Snowflake amused me....I've had my fair share of those, and we get them sorted out, as I'm sure you do, by sorting out the parent and cadet separately...the joys of the Cadet program.. ;)

I like the orientation letter for parents, I must admit.  We've had little success in getting parents to an orientation session and a letter on record isn't the worst idea I've heard by a long way.

foo

I like that idea. It's also good to have prospective cadets complete the online application for cadet membership with their parent(s) after they've attended the prerequisite three meetings. Part of the application involves agreeing to the Honor Statement for the Prospective CAP Cadet:

Quote from: https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.MembershipSystem.Web/CadetOnlineApp.aspx
As you apply for membership in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Corps, please tell us you're serious about being a cadet by reading the statements below and checking the checkboxes to indicate that you agree.

• I want to be a CAP cadet. I think CAP's for me, and I'm willing to give it a try for one full year.

• I'll participate in most weekly squadron meetings and will try to attend one 'Saturday' event per month.

• I plan to attend the next 1-week, overnight summer encampment available in my state. 
    Most encampments are 1-week in duration and take place in the summer or during winter vacation. Tuition averages $200 - $300. Local leaders will tell you more about the encampment opportunities in your area.

• If family or school obligations come up, I'll let my local leaders know in advance that I'll be absent from CAP.

• I have been assigned a mentor, an experienced cadet who is my #1 source for information on how to succeed in CAP. Or, if I haven't been assigned one, I'm going to ask for one at my next meeting. 

• I understand that what I get out of CAP depends on what I put into it.

As a symbol of my readiness to enter the CAP Cadet Program, I make the following pledge:

THE CADET OATH
I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program,
and that I will attend meetings regularly,
participate actively in unit activities,
obey my officers,
wear my uniform properly,
and advance my education and training rapidly
to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 30, 2015, 05:46:55 PM
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've had to stop cadets first-naming each other. First naming a SENIOR?

Fail.

People tend to treat it like a club when the atmosphere is club-like. The expectation is that the cadet program is WORK, not something they get handed badges and rank like they are candy. Have a talk with your cadet officers, then the senior NCOs. Have them understand it's right and proper that cadets address each other by their proper grade. Stop this first-naming of seniors NOW. You have a grade, rank, and title, and you EARNED it. Set the expectation that going forward, this will not be tolerated, and it will stop. If Snowflake doesn't like it, there's always JROTC or Girl Scouts.

I completely agree with you here. We've had an issue at our squadron of cadets last-naming seniors. It's just as bad in my opinion. I've also seen throughout CAP seniors addressing each other inappropriately in front of others, and it sets bad precedence.

But I digress, it was strongly discouraged in TLC to have any parents sitting in on character development because this is supposed to be a time when cadets can unlock and speak freely about personal matters. If parents do sit in, it was recommended that they sit off to the side and do not contribute at all. Some parents want to know what their child is being talked to about, especially when it comes to the romances  ;). Now, you do have situations where parents are the ones teaching character development, and that's just how it is. It is then that I would leave it up to the CDI to address that with their cadet in the program, but it shouldn't affect the other cadets since it's not a board issue.

I've seen several senior members who have cadets in the program that really like to watch their cadet from afar. They stand back and edge themselves closer and closer to the situation and need to be brought back sometimes. Some admit to being helicopter-y, and some deny it wholeheartedly.

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on November 30, 2015, 06:58:03 PM

Interesting.  We are also a small rural squadron and my experience mirrors yours!  I *think* they get down to maybe 30mph but only due to the lack of turning room...! >:D

Your comment about Snowflake amused me....I've had my fair share of those, and we get them sorted out, as I'm sure you do, by sorting out the parent and cadet separately...the joys of the Cadet program.. ;)

I like the orientation letter for parents, I must admit.  We've had little success in getting parents to an orientation session and a letter on record isn't the worst idea I've heard by a long way.

As a predominately rural squadron ourselves, I see parents like to drop their child off and then zip away. They pull up at pickup time and sit out in the car in the dark waiting for their spawn to come out. They don't come in to say hi or introduce themselves. Yes, there are some exceptions, but most of the parents I've never met. Being a new CDC, I've also only recently taken on the responsibilities of actually running the cadet program at our squadron, and our CC predominately liaison'd with the parents via email, often without my knowledge.

I also see quite a few parents who won't leave during meetings, or spend so much time gabbing with the other seniors, and you can figure out pretty quick which cadet joined the squadron because dad wants his little girl to play Army like he did back in the day.

It seems there's really no one size fits all. It really doesn't help being short-staffed and so multi-hatted. 7 seniors, 17 cadets on the roster, and we probably have 50% activity on average. We're working on the activity issues, and I think we'll improve with the way we're setting up 2016, but the lack of manpower is overloading the senior side.

Quote from: neummy on November 30, 2015, 09:12:09 PM

I like that idea. It's also good to have prospective cadets complete the online application for cadet membership with their parent(s) after they've attended the prerequisite three meetings. Part of the application involves agreeing to the Honor Statement for the Prospective CAP Cadet:

Quote from: https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.MembershipSystem.Web/CadetOnlineApp.aspx
As you apply for membership in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Corps, please tell us you're serious about being a cadet by reading the statements below and checking the checkboxes to indicate that you agree.

• I want to be a CAP cadet. I think CAP's for me, and I'm willing to give it a try for one full year.

• I'll participate in most weekly squadron meetings and will try to attend one 'Saturday' event per month.

• I plan to attend the next 1-week, overnight summer encampment available in my state. 
    Most encampments are 1-week in duration and take place in the summer or during winter vacation. Tuition averages $200 - $300. Local leaders will tell you more about the encampment opportunities in your area.

• If family or school obligations come up, I'll let my local leaders know in advance that I'll be absent from CAP.

• I have been assigned a mentor, an experienced cadet who is my #1 source for information on how to succeed in CAP. Or, if I haven't been assigned one, I'm going to ask for one at my next meeting. 

• I understand that what I get out of CAP depends on what I put into it.

As a symbol of my readiness to enter the CAP Cadet Program, I make the following pledge:

THE CADET OATH
I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program,
and that I will attend meetings regularly,
participate actively in unit activities,
obey my officers,
wear my uniform properly,
and advance my education and training rapidly
to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation.

I, too, like the orientation letter/pamphlet, which is what I'm just getting started. That's good for the beginning, but it fades away over time. We have a hard enough time getting cadets to check out our website. Getting the parents to is nearly impossible. Bear in mind that as the head of the cadet program, I don't have the authority over the entire squadron and all of the squadron's property. Some of this has been addressed, but it doesn't always go anywhere with the people responsible for these other areas.

We're trying to go from being a composite squadron which acts like a cadet squadron to become a composite squadron that acts like a composite squadron. Some seniors don't want to get their grubby little fingers out of the cadet side, and others don't always put in the full effort I feel we need to get things done in a timely fashion. I understand that CAP isn't everyone's full time job, and we don't have any retirees in our squadron, but it's still an ongoing mission that needs to be sustained throughout each week, not a one-day-a-week carnival.