Regulation height for boots

Started by 00, October 23, 2014, 01:23:40 PM

Are there any CAP written standards for how tall a "combat boot" must be?
CAPM 39-1 from 26 JUNE 2014 does not say anything about how tall. I have cadets that are using 4 or 5 inch boots with the BDU. I though the requirement was 8 inches, but I can not find a cite for that.

"6.4.3.
Footwear (males/females) Combat boots. Will be worn with the BDU, or the flight duty uniform. Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional, mesh inserts (for "jungle boot" style) are optional; smooth or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a high gloss or patent finish."

Eclipse

There's never been a prescription.

A "combat boot" is higher then a traditional civilian hiking shoe to provide more ankle support and lower leg protection
as well as allow for blousing of the trousers.

8-10 inches would be the typical height, depending on their size and style.  As one of 500 examples...

Yes:

No:

However the second pair would be fine with the CFU as blousing is not required (nor are boots for that matter).

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Sorry.......wait for it......  Cite please.

Both of those boots are fine.
In the end ask your local leadership.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 23, 2014, 03:34:37 PM

Find one place, anywhere, that refers to the second pair as "combat boots".

I'm still trying to fgure out what color "booand" black is...

CAPM 39-1, Page 72:
5.2.1.7. Footwear. Socks black shoes or booand black combat boots are mandatory with this uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

BITD (A Tuesday) everything had a military standard # (design, spec, etc) and you weren't supposed to wear items that weren't spec. Prevents any old JC Penny blue trousers and the like.

Today? Tons of stuff coming from overseas? Yeah nobody pays that any mind.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Heh - "fun" were the members in my AOR who bought BDU shirts with epaulets and Arabic labels from a local surplus store.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2014, 04:11:46 PM

Find one place, anywhere, that refers to the second pair as "combat boots".

I'm still trying to fgure out what color "booand" black is...

CAPM 39-1, Page 72:
5.2.1.7. Footwear. Socks black shoes or booand black combat boots are mandatory with this uniform.

For a moment I thought it was some kind of mathematical or computer term, like Boolean. Maybe it was a backhanded Halloween reference? Like Booberry?
...sigh. I'll go back to lurking.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2014, 04:24:03 PM
Heh - "fun" were the members in my AOR who bought BDU shirts with epaulets and Arabic labels from a local surplus store.

Hey, BITD the green pickle-suit fatigues were "OG-107 Fatigues" (these are the perm-press breast pocket only tuck in shirts, like Bill Murray wore in Stripes circa 1980.

These were _ALSO_ "OG-107 fatigues":

Guardhouse lawyering... BEGIN!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shuman 14

Both of those boots are fine.
In the end ask your local leadership.

Isn't this just another symptom of the "wear anything you want" disease that seems have infected CAP's uniform/multiform disorder?  :-\
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Flying Pig

I had no idea I could wear ankle height black tennis shoes with BDUs

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 24, 2014, 02:52:39 PM
I had no idea I could wear ankle height black tennis shoes with BDUs

Awesome, right?  Nothing says "hardkewl" more then dress shoes with the CFU.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Way back in the day (pre 1980), the Air Force and maybe the other services had "Chucka" boots. Basically combat boots that only went up to your ankle.
I was issued a pair at BMT at Lackland in 1974 and wore them only at Basic because I had to.
You didn't blouse your trousers when you wore these and the only people I remember wearing them was a few of the office types who worked in Maintenance Supervision.
They went away when the Air Force went to the BDU.

vento

Eclipse

Very nice - not authorized for any CAP uniform and the word "combat" does not appear anywhere on that page.

Look comfortable, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on October 24, 2014, 05:23:15 PM
Very nice - not authorized for any CAP uniform and the word "combat" does not appear anywhere on that page.

Look comfortable, though.

And you are correct, it is not a combat boot and it is not for CAP.
I was simply tagging along the "Chucka" boot comment for previous USAF wear. Should have made it clearer.

Storm Chaser

There are many acceptable boots that don't say "combat" on the tag, yet comply with CAPM 39-1. That said, the boots on the picture above, besides being sage green, seem like a stretch to me. I don't think blousing the BDU pants that low looks "military" enough. YMMV.

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on October 24, 2014, 03:34:26 PM
Way back in the day (pre 1980), the Air Force and maybe the other services had "Chucka" boots. Basically combat boots that only went up to your ankle.
I was issued a pair at BMT at Lackland in 1974 and wore them only at Basic because I had to.
You didn't blouse your trousers when you wore these and the only people I remember wearing them was a few of the office types who worked in Maintenance Supervision.
They went away when the Air Force went to the BDU.

Oh, heavens, I remember those things.

More than a low-quarter, less than a combat boot ... the Chukka Boot!!!

Oy.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Al Sayre

I thought they were called "chuckka boots" because the first thing we did upon leaving boot camp was chuck them in a dumpster...  My feet hurt just thinking about them.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 24, 2014, 05:59:12 PM
I don't think blousing the BDU pants that low looks "military" enough. YMMV.

The Army began issuing these boots (link below) since 2009 for Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan.  With the ditching of the ACUs, they are looking at also going with these types of boots as standard issue.  The Army is beginning to realize that the science does not match the opinion on boots.  For one, no study has shown that a "high ankle" support decreases your chances of ankle injury.  This has been a long held opinion with almost no evidence to back it up.  In addition, it is believed that for every 1 pound on your foot "equals" five pounds on your back.  Meaning, that the heavier your feet are, the more energy it takes and the less distance you travel. 

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/-images/2010/03/02/65712/size0-army.mil-65712-2010-03-03-090309.jpg

Майор Хаткевич

Here are my favorite boots:

Here are my least favorite boots: