Main Menu

Vanguard fleece

Started by Turtle1, November 30, 2017, 03:20:00 PM

CAPLTC

Yeah roger, I am familiar with USAF and Army regs.
That's not what I said. 
The point was that the GEN-III Level III Fleece Jacket referenced does indeed fit funny/oddly because the lighter-weight fleece was never designed to be worn over a BDU/ABU/ACU/OCP jacket.
There were 2 different styles of fleece jacket:
- One was designed to go over bulkier under-layers, it's 300-weight Polartec. It has armpit vents/zippers.
- The one in question was designed as an under-layer or stand-alone, it's 200-weight Polartec Thermal Pro with even lighter side panels.  Does not have armpit vents/zippers.
But whatever, you're right, it's moot.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

HGjunkie

That's an irrelevantly pedantic point to argue about. It's an outer garment, plain and simple.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

chuckmilam

Held my breath and put mine through the wash this weekend.  It survived with minimal shedding.  Whew. We'll see how it makes it through the next/end-of-season wash.

Slim

Quote from: chuckmilam on February 12, 2018, 01:41:58 AM
Held my breath and put mine through the wash this weekend.  It survived with minimal shedding.  Whew. We'll see how it makes it through the next/end-of-season wash.

Good luck,

I've have mine about three years, numerous washings, and several lint rollers later, it still turns the grey upholstery of my truck seat black.  I don't even bother wearing it in the truck anymore.

Slim

Turtle1

Good Morning regarding the shedding. If you recently bought the fleece from VG and after several washings it still sheds VG will return your money. They are aware of the problem, so I do not understand why they continue to sell defective merchandise.
Marybeth Williams
Major, CAP

SCE124

I refused to pay Vanguard for a subpar Rothco jacket that sheds! I found this jacket online for around $30 (I got mine for $24 with free shipping from Galls.com). This jacket is polar fleece, but also has an inner liner to make the jacket more water-resistant. I guess the only downside I see for this jacket is you need to have the hook and loop sewn on (it's included, but not sewn on). Anyways; Here's the link for anyone interested >>> https://www.galls.com/tru-spec-polar-fleece-jacket?PMSRCE=GAPLA&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9rTBRBNEiwAt0Znw-UCNXwn6s7MO4Lm3vyQzx8JMyc35INwbLTYhhI83-ZIygaVCv3tghoClTIQAvD_BwE

hamburgee

That fleece looks unauthorized, the shoulders are supposed to be non-fleece (not sure exactly what the material it is. Nylon?). See this picture, posted before:

abdsp51

Quote from: hamburgee on February 14, 2018, 10:30:20 PM
That fleece looks unauthorized, the shoulders are supposed to be non-fleece (not sure exactly what the material it is. Nylon?). See this picture, posted before:

39-1 disagrees

6.1.12.2. Fleece will be acquired commercially, and will be similar in design and construction to
the USAF-style Sage Green Fleece. Members will wear fleeces that only have a very small or no
manufacturer's emblem that is externally visible.

SCE124

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 14, 2018, 10:53:23 PM

39-1 disagrees

6.1.12.2. Fleece will be acquired commercially, and will be similar in design and construction to
the USAF-style Sage Green Fleece. Members will wear fleeces that only have a very small or no
manufacturer's emblem that is externally visible.

When it comes to the BLACK fleece for corporate uniforms the jacket I posted appears to be correct with the limited guidelines listed in 39-1. The black fleece has been around for several years and pre-dates the roll-out of the ABU for CAP. When it comes to the ABU Foilage Green fleece the product I posted WOULD NOT be allowed (but plenty of those styles can be found surplus rather than Vanguard). I wear both Corporate and USAF Style, although I tend to wear ABUs/Blues more often than not so I didn't want to spend crazy money on a black fleece; otherwise, I would've bought this one I also found!  >>> https://www.drto.com/products/ujf-b04f107-warmor-fleece-ecwcs-jacket <<< This one is pretty much an exact copy of the Foliage Fleece but looks to be a much higher quality than Vanguard's current black fleece.

I_Am_Twigs

I've heard that the VG fleece sheds a lot from quite a few people, does anyone know if this one would?

https://uspatriottactical.com/ecwcs-gen-iii-level-3-usaf-fleece-jacket-foliage/
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

SCE124

From what I heard and seen only the fleece jackets made by the company Rothco (both green and black) have the shedding issue. I found a surplus, military issued foilage green fleece on eBay brand new/in the package for $27 & free shipping! That seems to be the best way to go in my opinion!

hamburgee

I have the Rothco fleece, and I haven't had any shedding problems. It's been through at least 10 washes and still holds up great. Maybe Vanguard gets even cheaper fleeces from Rothco?

Shuman 14

That fleece looks unauthorized, the shoulders are supposed to be non-fleece (not sure exactly what the material it is. Nylon?).

I think he's wearing an Army issued Fleece, looks like the one I got from CIF.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on February 15, 2018, 11:54:08 PM
That fleece looks unauthorized, the shoulders are supposed to be non-fleece (not sure exactly what the material it is. Nylon?).

I think he's wearing an Army issued Fleece, looks like the one I got from CIF.

As long as it's black he's good to go and authorized

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 16, 2018, 01:14:03 AM

Well clearly in the picture it's green.  ???
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on February 16, 2018, 03:31:57 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 16, 2018, 01:14:03 AM

Well clearly in the picture it's green.  ???

You wear the green fleece with the ABU and the black fleece with the Blue BDU's.
The gentlemen in the picture are Active Duty Air Force wearing ABU's.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret