Main Menu

tips for first-timers

Started by whatevah, February 24, 2005, 09:01:25 PM

Hookedonlemons

Move fast
Stay focused
and if you can make a staff member laugh, you're good...

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 09, 2008, 11:26:09 PM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 09, 2008, 10:22:17 PM
Quote from: JC004 on July 09, 2008, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 09, 2008, 09:58:37 PM
PUT YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING!!!! AWWWW!

I wish I would have taken that seriously.

One of the cadets in our flight took my blues cover and wore it during the pass and review! I freaked out because I didn't have my cover. He came to me right after pass in review and says heres your cover. I was soo frustrated!

So this cadet was basically like "I know you needed this, but I needed one too, so I took it"??

Pretty much!

If that is how the game is played, then I would have taken a pair of scissors and turned his blues into little pieces of blues.  And added "I needed a rag, thanks". 

Then attempt to sew it back together, and be like heres your blues!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

mikeylikey

^ LMAO.  Right on dude. 
What's up monkeys?

Duke Dillio

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 10, 2008, 03:24:06 AM

One of the cadets in our flight took my blues cover and wore it during the pass and review! I freaked out because I didn't have my cover. He came to me right after pass in review and says heres your cover. I was soo frustrated!

So this cadet was basically like "I know you needed this, but I needed one too, so I took it"??

Pretty much!

If that is how the game is played, then I would have taken a pair of scissors and turned his blues into little pieces of blues.  And added "I needed a rag, thanks". 

Sew it back together?  Nuuu, too easy.  Duct tape it back together.... and blacken their belt buckle....

Oh wait, wouldn't that be hazing....

So yeah, um don't do any of that stuff....

Camas

One of the cadets in our flight took my blues cover and wore it during the pass and review! I freaked out because I didn't have my cover. He came to me right after pass in review and says heres your cover. I was so frustrated!
I trust you notified your TAC officer right? And it's not a game; this was a serious offense. And yes Team Surge - I was there!  Too bad we're only finding about this now; we could've taken some corrective action had we known at the time.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Sqn72DO on July 10, 2008, 05:18:17 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 10, 2008, 03:24:06 AM

Pretty much!

Sew it back together?  Nuuu, too easy.  Duct tape it back together.... and blacken their belt buckle....

Oh wait, wouldn't that be hazing....

So yeah, um don't do any of that stuff....

I am too nice to do that! >:D
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Camas on July 10, 2008, 05:28:38 AM
One of the cadets in our flight took my blues cover and wore it during the pass and review! I freaked out because I didn't have my cover. He came to me right after pass in review and says heres your cover. I was so frustrated!
I trust you notified your TAC officer right? And it's not a game; this was a serious offense. And yes Team Surge - I was there!  Too bad we're only finding about this now; we could've taken some corrective action had we known at the time.

Not a big deal! I will just be smart and put my name on my stuff next time I go to something like encampment or an activity.

You went to Eagle Talon 3?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

jb512

If you are a first time TAC Officer, remember that you are not in the cadets' chain of command.  You are there for safety and guidance when necessary, but don't jump in and start giving orders to the basics or even to the flight staff.

Our encampments here in TXWG keep going back and forth on that.  Last summer we had a really good staff of TACs who kept out of the cadets' business.  This summer, for some reason, we had a bit of trouble.  I saw several times where TACs were directing or "TIing" cadets when there was no reason for a TAC to have been involved.

As long as the cadets are safe, don't interfere.  If the flight turns left when the next class is to the right, just follow along.  Encampments are not only there to teach basics how to learn, it's there to teach the flight staff how to lead.  When they get their a$$ chewed for being late, they'll learn to turn the right direction next time.

mikeylikey

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 10, 2008, 08:21:24 AM
If you are a first time TAC Officer, remember that you are not in the cadets' chain of command.  You are there for safety and guidance when necessary, but don't jump in and start giving orders to the basics or even to the flight staff.

Our encampments here in TXWG keep going back and forth on that.  Last summer we had a really good staff of TACs who kept out of the cadets' business.  This summer, for some reason, we had a bit of trouble.  I saw several times where TACs were directing or "TIing" cadets when there was no reason for a TAC to have been involved.

As long as the cadets are safe, don't interfere.  If the flight turns left when the next class is to the right, just follow along.  Encampments are not only there to teach basics how to learn, it's there to teach the flight staff how to lead.  When they get their a$$ chewed for being late, they'll learn to turn the right direction next time.

Disagree with you, but just a little.  TAC's are there for safety, yes.  They are there to be glorified babysitters, yes.  They are also there to correct mistakes, counsel, mentor and make the day go better. 

More likely than not, it is a Cadet who has a problem with their TAC Officer.  I understand the Cadets want to play military, and be "hardcore", but that is not what Encampment is about.  The TAC can be a very useful tool for the Cadet Staff, and should be used to the point of exhaustion.

Every Wing is different on how they run the Encampment.  Some Wings, you can't find a Senior Member, other Wings, the Senior Members direct every aspect of the Encampment.

Finally, I would hate to be the TAC that let his SQD burn to death because he was not permitted to run an extra fire drill the first night, but was sent to his room by a 16 year old Cadet Staff member.

Just remember to show respect, and you should have no problems with a TAC.   
What's up monkeys?

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 10, 2008, 01:36:50 PM

Disagree with you, but just a little.  TAC's are there for safety, yes.  They are there to be glorified babysitters, yes.  They are also there to correct mistakes, counsel, mentor and make the day go better. 

More likely than not, it is a Cadet who has a problem with their TAC Officer.  I understand the Cadets want to play military, and be "hardcore", but that is not what Encampment is about.  The TAC can be a very useful tool for the Cadet Staff, and should be used to the point of exhaustion.

Every Wing is different on how they run the Encampment.  Some Wings, you can't find a Senior Member, other Wings, the Senior Members direct every aspect of the Encampment.

Finally, I would hate to be the TAC that let his SQD burn to death because he was not permitted to run an extra fire drill the first night, but was sent to his room by a 16 year old Cadet Staff member.

Just remember to show respect, and you should have no problems with a TAC.   

All my tac officers were awesome people! They kinda just converse with you, and check your feet!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 10, 2008, 01:36:50 PM

I just don't see that as part of a TAC's duty.  The way that we ran this last encampment was to make every part of that, except for counseling, the cadet flight and squadron staff's job.  Our TACs were not to correct mistakes (other than safety or health related) because not only do you end up undermining the flight staff, they're not learning anything.  If a TAC is always there to bail you out of trouble, then why concentrate on doing things the right way?

Our cadets were fully empowered and responsible and we saw a lot of them step up to the plate and take charge once we got the TACs out of the way...

mikeylikey

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 10, 2008, 08:02:53 PM
way?

Our cadets were fully empowered and responsible and we saw a lot of them step up to the plate and take charge once we got the TACs out of the way...

Thats what I figured.  You had to "get your TACs out of your way".  Don't forget the TAC is responsible for every cadet to include you as a staff cadet.  Why wouldn't a TAC correct a mistake??!?!  Should they just let you go on teaching something the wrong way?  That is a reason we have 1,000 different ways of doing one thing in CAP.  The whole "That's how we did it at Encampment" saying is a direct result of Cadet Staff doing the WRONG THINGS. 

Work with your TAC, not against them.  Because in the end the TAC always wins, and any tension will be relieved by sending you the Cadet home, not the TAC.

What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

To get back on subject "Tips for First Timers"

Follow the advice of AA.
Take it one day at a time, or as Scarlett O'Hara said "Tomorrow is another day"
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 10, 2008, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 10, 2008, 08:02:53 PM
way?

Thats what I figured.  You had to "get your TACs out of your way".  Don't forget the TAC is responsible for every cadet to include you as a staff cadet.  Why wouldn't a TAC correct a mistake??!?!  Should they just let you go on teaching something the wrong way?  That is a reason we have 1,000 different ways of doing one thing in CAP.  The whole "That's how we did it at Encampment" saying is a direct result of Cadet Staff doing the WRONG THINGS. 

Work with your TAC, not against them.  Because in the end the TAC always wins, and any tension will be relieved by sending you the Cadet home, not the TAC.

No one is working against the TACs; I think you missed the point and yes, some TACs are in the way and create more problems than they solve.  It is the exception, not the rule and don't take this to mean that I'm bashing all of them, just a few who get too involved in the cadets' business when they shouldn't be. 

TACs are responsible for the health and safety of the cadets, but not their instruction.  Why should they not correct a mistake?...  Because that's not their job.  If it is a mistake that will cause potential injury to a cadet, yes, step in by all means.  If a flight sergeant is teaching a cadet to pivot incorrectly in drill, then no.  It is the job of the flight commander, first sergeant, squadron commander, etc., to observe that mistake and make the correction.  If the flight commander fails to notice that his/her flight sergeant is instructing incorrectly then the TAC can mention that to the flight commander in private so he/she can address it as they choose, but not correct the flight sergeant in front of the flight or begin to give instruction to the flight. 

From what we've seen here, the majority of TACs are there because they have children in the program and they are volunteering their time to assist which is a great thing.  Without TACs, we wouldn't be able to run the program.  The bad part is that most of the TACs here have very little experience with CAP and most have no experience around the military.  Some have the mindset of a den mother rather than knowing when and how to step in using the chain of command.  While a TAC usually has more in the way of life experience and maturity (most of them), they lack in the leadership skills and knowledge that the cadet flight sergeants, flight commanders, squadron commanders, etc., have been taught.

Where TACs become a hindrance is when they begin to take on the role of the flight staff and that is not their place.  If a TAC sees a minor mistake, they should talk to the flight staff in private, away from the flight.

For the lock-happy people, while this is not entirely on the original topic, it is related to first-time TACs.