Main Menu

Encampment Food

Started by Dutchboy, February 08, 2006, 06:19:58 PM

The Happy Sergeant

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on February 06, 2010, 03:39:49 AM
Here's the rule with MRE's: the shorter the name, the better.  When you get to 4-5 word descriptions, don't do it.

For example, the beef stew is phenomenal (in terms of MRE's).  Ham steak with scrambled eggs is not.

I beg to differ. one mre i had at encampment was Baby back ribs with potato soup. it was the best mre i have ever had.
Fight to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Win
                                                      ~USAF motto

Cessna Man

C/CMSgt Capron
Cadet Commander
Primary CAC Representative

AALTIS

As a cadet two of my encampments were at AFBs (Offutt 90 & Whiteman 92).  There we used the base chow hall and had great food.  The other encampment was in Iowa (don't remember the year) at a winter encampment and there we cooked the food.  It wasn't bad.
On a similar topic is bivouac food.  We have a crew that goes to all our bivouacs and FTXs and provides the chow.  They do a great job.  If they could have a 101 qualification for ES Chef, they would be signed off.  Its a shame that in some places the cadets don't get such great chow.
Alan Altis, Captain
EMT/ B
MO Wing Group I
Emergency Services &
Communications Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: bosshawk on August 30, 2011, 07:46:37 PM
Tony: this has nothing to do with Encampment Food, but you have obviously never been to Korea in June and July.  The smell would make the Central Valley smell like a rose garden.

I've been there, smelled that. With CAP even, on IACE. Not to be forgotten.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

GOCAP

it was horrible for me and the cadets!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( :( :( :(

ol'fido

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 31, 2013, 07:23:41 AM
Tony: this has nothing to do with Encampment Food, but you have obviously never been to Korea in June and July.  The smell would make the Central Valley smell like a rose garden.

I love the smell of KimChi and rice paddies in the morning. It smells like......skunk sprayed toe jam. :P
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on September 04, 2013, 11:13:31 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 31, 2013, 07:23:41 AM

I love the smell of KimChi and rice paddies in the morning. It smells like......skunk sprayed toe jam. :P

You forgot "with garlic!" :P

NIN

Quote from: PHall on September 05, 2013, 12:09:42 AM
You forgot "with garlic!" :P

And 100% more rice paddy fertilizer.

(Yeah, when they cracked the door to the plane at Osan AB 27 years ago today, I knew I was in for a treat)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

Luckily, I was there in March for one month of Team Spirit '90. I would not like to be there in July or August when the stuff starts getting cooked as well. I have allergies that have pretty well killed my sense of smell. If I can smell it, it's ripe.

Now when I was in Thailand in June it was probably as bad as that would be.

I do remember going down to the little ramshackle shack and ordering 2 chicken legs(I hope), fried rice, and a Coke for 100 baht because I couldn't stand the T-Rat corn beef hash for the 30th day in row. and the 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 34th.....
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006