Col Mary Feik Scholarship only for females?

Started by xray328, January 05, 2016, 04:08:15 PM

xray328

THRAWN

Interesting. Is there a comparable program for only male cadets? Or blonde cadets? Or left handed cadets? Seems rather exclusionary.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Yes, female cadets only. At TLC several years ago I heard some statistics that the population of new student pilots is somewhere around 50/50 male/female (a little more male, but not much). However, the population of new actual pilots is something like 85/15 male/female. I believe this scholarship is intended to try and correct that.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on January 05, 2016, 04:18:52 PM
Yes, female cadets only. At TLC several years ago I heard some statistics that the population of new student pilots is somewhere around 50/50 male/female (a little more male, but not much). However, the population of new actual pilots is something like 85/15 male/female. I believe this scholarship is intended to try and correct that.

Then there should probably be scholarships set aside for other underrepresented populations as well.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 04:31:56 PM

Then there should probably be scholarships set aside for other underrepresented populations as well.

Probably; but just because there aren't, doesn't mean that we shouldn't have one for this underrepresented group.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FW

Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 04:14:58 PM
Interesting. Is there a comparable program for only male cadets? Or blonde cadets? Or left handed cadets? Seems rather exclusionary.

Most likely the restrictions were imposed by the donor(s).  CAP has never self restricted funds for scholarships based on anything other than merit.

xray328

What's the ratio of male to female cadets that are eligible to apply? When I was in glider/power I can only remember 2 or 3 females in our class...not sure if that's because of financial reasons, a lack of interest, or if that's just the ratio of males to females.

Are there any other well known avenues for paying for the National Powered Flight Academy for a 16 year old male in the NCO ranks, scholarships etc?

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on January 05, 2016, 04:49:33 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 04:31:56 PM

Probably; but just because there aren't, doesn't mean that we shouldn't have one for this underrepresented group.

Sure it does. Favoritism, actual or perceived, shouldn't be sanctioned by the organization. Want to offer scholarships? Great. Want to offer scholarships to only one group? Not fine.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: FW on January 05, 2016, 04:53:28 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 04:14:58 PM

Most likely the restrictions were imposed by the donor(s).  CAP has never self restricted funds for scholarships based on anything other than merit.

Then the donation should have been returned with a polite note explaining that merit, not gender, is the deciding factor in this organization.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

xray328

How about just removing the restrictions on the general scholarship?  Or have it at least equal to the Feik? Make them both require C/SSgt or higher.  As it stands the females only need to be C/SSgt while the other general scholarship requires the Mitchell.

Holding Pattern

Let's open it up to SMs while we are at it.

8)

On a serious note:

The idea that we must create a scholarship for every under-represented group instead of just one seems a bit overboard.

THRAWN

Quote from: xray328 on January 05, 2016, 05:12:08 PM
How about just removing the restrictions on the general scholarship?  Or have it at least equal to the Feik? Make them both require C/SSgt or higher.  As it stands the females only need to be C/SSgt while the other general scholarship requires the Mitchell.

You mean leveling the playing field? Kind of sounds like that's the way that it should be...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 05:15:10 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on January 05, 2016, 05:13:13 PM

8)

Why? It's a cadet scholarship.

It's also a female scholarship. Are you saying we can't correct for just gender, but age is a bridge too far?

xray328

Exactly.  Females can be funded through the generosity of the Col Mary Feik until that is depleted, then any additional females and all male cadets get funded from the general scholarship.

I don't understand why females only need to be C/SSgt.  I get why you wouldn't want to just hand over money to new cadets but I think the Wright Brothers should be proof enough that these cadets are serious about the program.  Only 25% or so achieve it.

THRAWN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on January 05, 2016, 05:15:59 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 05:15:10 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on January 05, 2016, 05:13:13 PM

8)

Why? It's a cadet scholarship.

It's also a female scholarship. Are you saying we can't correct for just gender, but age is a bridge too far?

There are (maybe were) scholarships of this type for SMs. If this is a female scholarship, where is the male scholarship? Or black scholarship? Or Polish scholarship? Having a cadet only scholarship is not exclusionary. Having a female scholarship is.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: xray328 on January 05, 2016, 05:16:33 PM
Exactly.  Females can be funded through the generosity of the Col Mary Feik until that is depleted, then any additional females and all male cadets get funded from the general scholarship.

I don't understand why females only need to be C/SSgt.  I get why you wouldn't want to just hand over money to new cadets but I think the Wright Brothers should be proof enough that these cadets are serious about the program.  Only 25% or so achieve it.

The minimum should be Mitchell. Earn scholarships. No value in setting the bar low...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

xray328

Quote from: THRAWN on January 05, 2016, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: xray328 on January 05, 2016, 05:16:33 PM

The minimum should be Mitchell. Earn scholarships. No value in setting the bar low...

I have no issue with that, but it shouldn't be set low for one gender and higher for the other.

I'm not looking to fight an uphill battle here though.  Does anyone know of any other flight scholarships?  My son is 16, currently a C/SSgt, just graduated from the NCO Leadership Academy and would like to fly at an NSCA next summer.  Looks like the NER is the only one that will work based on his available dates.  He's #1 in his class with a 4.75 GPA if that helps (maybe an academic scholarship?)

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Here is a list of the CAP flight scholarships (and one publicized by CAP from the spaatz association): http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/scholarships/flight-scholarships/