National Blue Beret Questions

Started by Rocketguy, March 15, 2011, 03:02:41 AM

Rocketguy

I have been selected as a primary for NBB. Right now i am working on my GTM 1-3. by the time NBB rolls around I will be fully qualified in that aspect. i saw on one of the forums where there will be a lot of UDF. will GTM cover all of that? or will I need to find additional training? this will be my first airshow,
(yeah, sad, i know) so can anyone tell me if there is any time for cadets to tour, or will I be working the entire time? does anyone have any suggestions as to what extra to bring i.e. anything they don't put on the packing list? thanks

NCRblues

All the training you need will be done up at Oshkosh.

Yes you will be working or training 90% of the time, though you do get some time off to go out and explore the worlds largest fly-in.

Make sure you are in good shape, and bring well broken in boots, because you do a lot of walking and marching.

The packing list is very good, bring what it says.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RickFranz

Sun Screen and a good attitude is very helpful.

Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

tatumrd

I have never been to a NCSA. So this will be my first year at NBB. I will be attending as a Lt Col possibly a full Colonel. What can i expect as far as leadership goes?
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

jeders

Quote from: Rocketguy on March 15, 2011, 03:02:41 AM
I have been selected as a primary for NBB. Right now i am working on my GTM 1-3. by the time NBB rolls around I will be fully qualified in that aspect. i saw on one of the forums where there will be a lot of UDF. will GTM cover all of that? or will I need to find additional training? this will be my first airshow,
(yeah, sad, i know) so can anyone tell me if there is any time for cadets to tour, or will I be working the entire time? does anyone have any suggestions as to what extra to bring i.e. anything they don't put on the packing list? thanks

First, and I tell everyone this no matter what, if you have GTM3, UDF is functionally useless. That said, you will get all the training you need at the beginning of NBB before AirVenture opens up.

You will get plenty of time to explore the airshow and spend money. You will also get flight night, where the flight members go out for a few hours one night during the activity.

Quote from: RickFranz on March 15, 2011, 10:30:17 AM
Sun Screen and a good attitude is very helpful.

Quote from: NCRblues on March 15, 2011, 03:08:04 AM
Make sure you are in good shape, and bring well broken in boots, because you do a lot of walking and marching.

These items cannot be stressed enough, especially the boots and sun screen. When I went as a TAC, I actually had one cadet get a sunburn on the inside of his ear, but not the outside.

Quote from: tatumrd on March 15, 2011, 02:57:07 PM
I have never been to a NCSA. So this will be my first year at NBB. I will be attending as a Lt Col possibly a full Colonel. What can i expect as far as leadership goes?

That depends on a lot of things. But remember this, just because you have more collar candy than 95% of the cadets there, doesn't mean you'll be in charge of anything. Most of the cadet leadership is chosen by the TACs (or it was when I went) and the TACs do there hardest to choose the best person for each job.

Most importantly, for both of you, have fun and enjoy it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

tatumrd

Awesome. Thanks for you're response.

When will we get our packing list?
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

onetimeoneplace

Quote from: tatumrd on March 15, 2011, 04:01:11 PM
Awesome. Thanks for you're response.

When will we get our packing list?

You should get the list, along with other forms for NBB, around mid-April.
C/Capt Isaac McDermott, CAP
PAWG Basic Encampment 2009, Staff 2011 (PAO), Staff 2013 (Inspections)
Pennsylvania Wing
Tri-Wing Encampment Staff 2013 (Public Affairs OIC)
GTM3, UDF, MRO, FLM
NJWG RCLS 2010
Mitchell #60963
National Blue Beret 2010 + 2012, SUPTFC-MS 2012
Earhart #15947
Cadet Officer School 2013

Shotgun

When do they usually start contacting the Senior Members?

It's my understanding that we are not necessarily "slotted", but that we are contacted individually byyy the Activity leaders.

IIRC, Last year Blue Beret sent out an email fairly late reaching out to Senior staff. (I think it was sometime in April.) Is that the usual case?

NCRblues

Quote from: Man Of Action on March 17, 2011, 03:03:33 AM
When do they usually start contacting the Senior Members?

It's my understanding that we are not necessarily "slotted", but that we are contacted individually byyy the Activity leaders.

IIRC, Last year Blue Beret sent out an email fairly late reaching out to Senior staff. (I think it was sometime in April.) Is that the usual case?

Yes, its normal for SM staff at NBB to get much later notice than the cadets. Its hard to nail down the number of cadets the fire marshal and the EAA will allow us to bring from year to year, so its better to wait and slot SM's later, instead of telling someone yes you can go and then having to back track later on down the road.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

ES Ninja

Hey y'all, I'm an NBB 2010 graduate, and was a flight commander. So, here's from my experience:

will GTM cover all of that? or will I need to find additional training?  thanks

No worries, everything you need to know and don't, you will be taught.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what extra to bring i.e. anything they don't put on the packing list?

If you have your 24 hour gear, BRING ALL OF IT. Last year most of us only brought our UDF gear (because that's what was on the packing list), and when we went to do pack inspection we got in trouble. Our TAC had to make a run to Walmart for a few of our flight members. One thing not on the list you need is an orange vest. RRING ONE! Last year they ran out. Also, last year it rained a ton (we refer to it as the Splosh-kosh Airshow) so I would advise bringing a mil-spec poncho (it keeps you drier than the cheap kind). Also, a second pair of boots is totally worth it, if you have more than one pair. Finally, bring a couple razors just for shaving your beret! Then when you get it, you won't have to wait for your TAC to grab some before you can get started.

Quote from: tatumrd on March 15, 2011, 02:57:07 PM

Good question. As far as cadet leadership goes, rank means nothing. You will be dealing with mostly officers, and you will be in a no-salute zone nearly 24-7. ES Quals don't mean nearly as much as at a SAREX, either, because by the end of NBB you all have quite a list.There will be two "leadership structures," if you will. The first is staff-wise. TACs select their flight commanders and flight leaders (officer equivalent of flight sergeant) the day before the activity starts. These two cadets will be in charge of your flight. Cadet staff position has nothing to do with rank, so if you don't get staff, expect to follow a lower-ranking cadet for the activity. The second structure is the RBs, or Returning Berets. Those who have already completed NBB have special privileges at the activity (word of caution: stay off the green!) that other cadets, regardless of rank, do not. Also, although they may not be staff, they will be respected by their staff, and by other cadets.

Final words: don't let anything get your spirits down (including security shifts on the flight line at 0300 in pouring rain)! NBB is what you make it. Be prepared to work hard, laugh a lot, walk a ton, beat the Boyscouts at the annual CAP-Boyscout volleyball competition, and go to bed exhausted but satisfied each night. When you leave, you'll have some amazing friends, and you'll be part of the NBB cadre - an elite group you can't understand until you're a beret. Have fun, and good luck!
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 02:10:14 PM
... and you'll be part of the NBB cadre - an elite group you can't understand until you're a beret.

Well, that should start some interesting commentary.  Cadet, put on your kevlar.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ES Ninja

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on March 17, 2011, 02:17:15 PM
Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 02:10:14 PM
... and you'll be part of the NBB cadre - an elite group you can't understand until you're a beret.

Well, that should start some interesting commentary.  Cadet, put on your kevlar.

After noticing the mindset displayed in the Blue Beret-related posts on this website, allow me to apologize for my poor choice in phraseology (I did not mean to start a controversy) and exchange the word "elite" for one more correct:

You'll be part of the NBB cadre - a CAP minority of well-trained, seasoned UDF and FLM qualified cadets who have been through two tough weeks at the largest airshow in the world together - and you can't understand the beret mentality until you're a beret.

One final word of advice to all NBB primaries and graduates: never forget the Blue Beret creed - live by it always.

I am a Blue Beret. I am what my country and Civil Air Patrol expect me to be: the best of American youth, and an example of leadership for today and the future.
Never will I fail that trust.
Therefore, I pledge to perform to the highest degree of professionalism. My dedication to the service of others, rendered with respect and humility, is the outward sign of this pledge.
I am a leader who exhibits the highest level of integrity and am dedicated to the well being of my comrades and community.
I understand that to wear a Blue Beret is a great honor.
Therefore, I forsake not:
My Country;
My Mission;
My Comrades;
My Duty.
I am a Blue Beret.
FOLLOW ME!
NCWG CAC Vice Chair

Eclipse

Cadet Larson,

If all the NBB people exhibited your totality of understanding and attitude, we'd have a lot less heartburn about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 04:26:25 PMnever forget the Blue Beret creed

That isn't the same creed from when I was a cadet at NBB.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

ES Ninja

A lot of the RB's said it changed somewhat from 2009, too. That's what it was last summer, though. Hopefully it won't be diluted this year.
NCWG CAC Vice Chair

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 05:06:01 PM
A lot of the RB's said it changed somewhat from 2009, too. That's what it was last summer, though. Hopefully it won't be diluted this year.
All that I know is that a lot of it came from the Infantryman's Creed.

manfredvonrichthofen

The portions that are bold and underlined are the parts that are the same as in the NBB creed.

I am the Infantry.
I am my country's strength in war,
   her deterrent in peace.
I am the heart of the fight-
   wherever, whenever.
I carry America's faith and honor
   against her enemies.
I am the Queen of Battle.

I am what my country expects me to be-
   the best trained soldier in the world.

In the race for victory,
   I am swift, determined, and courageous,
   armed with a fierce will to win.

Never will I fail my country's trust.
Always I fight on-
   through the foe,
   to the objective,
   to triumph over all.
If necessary, I fight to my death.

By my steadfast courage,
   I have won 200 years of freedom.
I yield not-
   to weakness,
   to hunger,
   to cowardice,
   to fatigue,
   to superior odds,
   for I am mentally tough,physically strong,
   and morally straight.

I forsake not-
   my country,
   my mission,
   my comrades,
   my sacred duty.

I am relentless.
I am always there,
   now and forever.

I AM THE INFANTRY!
FOLLOW ME!

Now, I am not mad or upset about it or anything. I just thought that it was pretty funny that they took a combat creed and used it for NBB, if anything, I would think that they would use the Ranger creed for it, but then again they probably would use that for the Hawk Mountain creed. Honestly I think it is pretty cool that CAP is trying to give programs that bit of professional and hard corps push for cadets. It helps to instill a bit more camaraderie and pride in what we do. I like it.

Eclipse

It should be the Rifleman's Creed...

This is my L-Per, etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2011, 05:47:26 PM
It should be the Rifleman's Creed...

This is my L-Per, etc., etc.
I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and the last word out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?