Main Menu

encampment showers

Started by CCAlex, July 08, 2010, 07:16:25 PM

PHall

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 01:36:55 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 26, 2010, 10:15:48 PM
And peer pressure with the other members of their flight helped a lot too. >:D

Depending on what this means, exactly (because the smiley face doesn't provide a big indicator), this could definitely set CPPT alarm bells off in my head if cadets are harassing other cadets about the showers deal.

Now, earlier on I wrote about how a 15 minute briefing letting everyone know that communal showers would be utilized and how things would work, any questions etc., would cover any problems which might arise, and address any that a cadet might have. If something is explained well and fairly, I've seen that even the younger, slightly scared I-won't-admit-I-miss-my-mom-but-I-do types are very receptive.

They covered showers at my encampment this year, and we had individual stalls. But they still laid down ground rules, so that no one could play dumb. It's not hard. And addressing a problem and providing a small forum for questions can work wonders to eliminate the need  for things such as 3 pages of this bickering.

I speak from knowing my own reaction as well as my flight's reaction when these techniques were used on us. First-hand dooley knowledge.

It means that nobody wants to have smelly flight mates.

CCAlex

I just went to encampment and showers are not that bad

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: M777 on July 08, 2010, 07:16:25 PM
Does anyone know if camp pendleton has decent showers? I am going to encampment and don't know what to do for showers. Please help!

I was wondering the same thing...,

HGjunkie

Whoa, talk about a dead thread revival...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

"..was wondering the same thing..."

Well, that encampment happened already, if you were there, you got your answer. If not .. then.. unless they announce next years at that location, it's a moot point. But since there's ~40 other possibilities for encampment, at least, between now and then ...

ElectricPenguin

Anyone know what showers are like at texas wing camp swift???

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: cap235629 on January 30, 2011, 01:32:41 AM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 30, 2011, 01:08:36 AM
Anyone know what showers are like at texas wing camp swift???

Wet?

I never would of guessed it! Just like every other shower in the world.

commando1

This thread simply refuses to die...  >:D
Non Timebo Mala

Spaceman3750

Quote from: commando1 on February 10, 2011, 05:19:49 PM
This thread simply refuses to die...  >:D

Well, you could have given it a fighting chance by not bumping it ;)

commando1

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 10, 2011, 05:21:21 PM
Well, you could have given it a fighting chance by not bumping it ;)
Point taken Mr. Spaceman! Now I'm just waiting for the almighty moderangers to arrive  8)
Non Timebo Mala

ol'fido

To be really honest, there is only one time since I became a senior member that cadet showering habits at encampment were anything I even was aware of. It happened at a cadet staff meeting where one female squadron commander who was stressed out and having some time management issues was complaining that the female cadets were taking too long in the shower. According to her calculations, every female should take 2 minutes, 37 seconds in the shower.  Seriously. :o :o
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

commando1

If we really are going to make a serious attempt to resuscitate this topic... I have been to 2 encampments, one as a basic and one as staff. My first year we were given 3 1/2 minutes on the first day. We were so far behind that the next day we were allowed only 3 minutes. We were still so far behind that each day they gave us less time. By the last day we were lathering up while waiting using water from the sinks and only filing through the showers to rinse off-30 seconds. The year I went as staff I realized why 3 minute per person seemed like a luxury when we had to hurry up and wait on everything...literally. I think the question of modesty needs to be addressed but not sugarcoated. Yes you need to take a shower every day. No, we don't have individual shower stalls for you to use for privacy. Yes at some point in your life you will have to utilize a public shower...suck it up and move on... :P
Non Timebo Mala

Flying Pig

When I was a cadet, we had communal showers at Vandenberg.  I dont even recall it being an issue.  By the time I got to the military taking a shower with 50 other people was a complete non-issue.  After 8 years in the Infantry it doesnt even phase me. 
If you have issues with your body I can guarantee they are YOUR issues.  Not anyone elses.  Of course, I know you cant just tell  that to a kid.  If your an adult, get over it.

Dieneces

Quote from: M777 on July 08, 2010, 07:16:25 PM
Does anyone know if camp pendleton has decent showers? I am going to encampment and don't know what to do for showers. Please help!
When I was there in 2001 as a basic, the showers were pretty good.  Separate stalls rather than an open bay.  I do not know, however, if that is still the case. 
Please note though, when cleaning - don't mix ammonia and bleach... that would create a has-mat situation which is exactly what happened that year.  That would be best avoided  :)

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: ol'fido on February 11, 2011, 01:02:28 AM
To be really honest, there is only one time since I became a senior member that cadet showering habits at encampment were anything I even was aware of. It happened at a cadet staff meeting where one female squadron commander who was stressed out and having some time management issues was complaining that the female cadets were taking too long in the shower. According to her calculations, every female should take 2 minutes, 37 seconds in the shower.  Seriously. :o :o
:clap:
Wow... Someone has to much free time on their calculater.

ol'fido

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 25, 2011, 04:56:29 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on February 11, 2011, 01:02:28 AM
:clap:
Wow... Someone has to much free time on their calculater.
And their calcusooner.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Майор Хаткевич

I can't believe this one is still going...

My high school had showers for gym, but we weren't required to use them, and no one did. Maybe because we'd get out 5 minutes before class is over, and then have 5 minutes in a large school (7-8min to get from two far points) to get to the next class.

Once I started going to the gym in my current residential building? I saw more below the belt in day one here than I did in 5 years  of encampments with open bay showers. It didn't phase me, but was surprising because the showers were semi-central to the locker room. Overall I'd say CAP prepared me well, otherwise I'd end up like the phobic man who talked to me at the gym, claiming every naked gay was looking at HIM.

:)

Firefighter A.F.

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2010, 07:33:33 PM
1. Bring soap.
2. Bring a towel.
3. Bring shower shoes (flip flops)
4. Turn water on.
5. Stand under it.
6. Apply soap.
7. Rinse it off.
8. Turn water off.
9. Dry off.

*If you have enough hair, add shampoo to the list.

very nice  ;D
New York State Fire Association
Firefighter
Emergency Services Advisor For Local CAP Unit

http://streetsmart.freeforums.org/index.php

CCAlex

Wow. This thread goes on and on... In pendleton, it seems like the cadets at encampment like to shower with their underwear on. No one talks and if you don't have underwear to shower with, nobody says a thing. No pressure or anything, just how I like it. It's also wet, and you get out and dry yourself off like any other shower. The one bad thing about it, is that the changing area is the most disgusting hair covered 200 sq ft area you can find. Overall nothing special.