Hawk Mt. Staff Training is it the hardest in CAP?

Started by CAPcadet902, May 11, 2010, 04:43:30 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 06:21:01 PMIm not talking about me, im talking about what they said to the other cadet about respect, most of the senior member here show no respect.

Define "respect" in this context.

Ignoring poor grammar and spelling?

Allowing flawed ideas, incorrect assumptions, and disrespectful attitudes to go unchallenged?

Ignore "evolving details" of a complaint alone as if they were never written, even though they call into question the integrity of the program?

Bear in mind you are the one who said repeatedly that our Safety Training was "BS", and that given the opportunity you would "leave".
You also complained about a process you clearly did not understand as is that were the fault of those involved.
An attitude like that presented to any good leader in CAP would be challenged and "corrected".

Or perhaps you don't believe that the requirements of member behavior and courtesy extend to internet forums?

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 06:21:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 05:16:52 PMIf the response that are given to cadets here by senior members are taking in consideration, many of them wouldnt be Captains, Majors, and others.

I thought you requested to have your account deleted?

No one knew walking in you were a cadet.  It was only this post and some of you other comments that gave us any clue.

If you feel you need a more cadet-centric forum, perhaps Cadetstuff would be a better venue.

Regardless, time to learn that on the internet no one knows you are a dog and your ideas and comments live or die on their merits.

I did want my account deleted but after PM a modulator he told me they dont do such thing, unfortunately!

Im not talking about me, im talking about what they said to the other cadet about respect, most of the senior member here show no respect. (One thing that surprised me about this forum)
Welcome to the suck.

People love to disagree on forums mainly because they feel has if they have immediate seniority and power over the others.  It is like a competitive game here. You keep coming back, and you win some, and you lose some....., and you just have to get back up and keep fighting, somewhat like a MMA match.....................NAUGHT !

In all seriousness, this is a forum. People typically don't see how they are when they write, because in their minds it is in a respectful tone, but it can come off entirely different. Others are just blunt and don't care how it comes off. Also, remember, things should be pointed out in a respectful way to get respect back (I'm not aiming it you specificly). Just don't build emotions on things, and you'll be fine.
And some of the names just give it away that, Eclipse can cast a shadow on some topics (I'm just making a crack at you Eclipse).
Quote from: jeders on July 01, 2011, 06:29:29 PM
Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 06:21:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 05:16:52 PMIf the response that are given to cadets here by senior members are taking in consideration, many of them wouldnt be Captains, Majors, and others.

I thought you requested to have your account deleted?

No one knew walking in you were a cadet.  It was only this post and some of you other comments that gave us any clue.

If you feel you need a more cadet-centric forum, perhaps Cadetstuff would be a better venue.

Regardless, time to learn that on the internet no one knows you are a dog and your ideas and comments live or die on their merits.

I did want my account deleted but after PM a modulator he told me they dont do such thing, unfortunately!

Im not talking about me, im talking about what they said to the other cadet about respect, most of the senior member here show no respect. (One thing that surprised me about this forum)

:Grabs popcorn and takes a seat: Let's watch and see what happens next.
Haha. Enjoy some more "Drama: Life in the CAPTalk" parody of "Trama: Life in the ER"

airdale12

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2011, 06:40:35 PM
Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 06:21:01 PMIm not talking about me, im talking about what they said to the other cadet about respect, most of the senior member here show no respect.

Define "respect" in this context.

Ignoring poor grammar and spelling?

Allowing flawed ideas, incorrect assumptions, and disrespectful attitudes to go unchallenged?

Ignore "evolving details" of a complaint alone as if they were never written, even though they call into question the integrity of the program?

Bear in mind you are the one who said repeatedly that our Safety Training was "BS", and that given the opportunity you would "leave".
You also complained about a process you clearly did not understand as is that were the fault of those involved.
An attitude like that presented to any good leader in CAP would be challenged and "corrected".

Or perhaps you don't believe that the requirements of member behavior and courtesy extend to internet forums?

Of course the members behavior and courtesy extend to internet forums, but as I have seen it my self they arent, including both cadets and senior members.

And yes I do believe that some of the safety course are BS! I just logged into eServices and my safety had expired, so I took a test on hydration and now IM SAFE AGAIN!!!

...these things we do that others may live...

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 06:44:30 PM
Haha. Enjoy some more "Drama: Life in the CAPTalk" parody of "Trama: Life in the ER"

D00d, could I use that?  :P
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 01, 2011, 09:44:38 PM

Sure. It won't stop airing around here, so lets just make it bigger ;D

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 11:37:25 PM

If you say so...

"Drama: Life in the CAPTalk" parody of "Trama: Life in the ER"
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 01, 2011, 11:59:42 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 11:37:25 PM

If you say so...

"Drama: Life in the CAPTalk" parody of "Trama: Life in the ER"

Great show.

CAPC/officer125

I usually just sit around and read through topics like this, and even though the question has been answered (somewhat) and debated, I am going to take a swing at it.

Nathan and NIN put it perfectly: everyone who attends their particular NCSA has their own view of "their" activity and others. I am a Blue Beret and a COS graduate. One of the reasons I haven't gone to other NSCAs is they aren't what I am interested in. Hawk seems cool (and to some the best) but I do not fancy myself as physically fit enough to endure the entire activity. And while I am interested in Honor Guard, I don't want to go to HGA, not because of the attitudes of those that have gone, but because I can read the manual and pretty much learn what I want at my own pace and don't have to pay the price of actually going to the activity. I know cadets who have gone to all above mentioned activities and more. In our minds, yes, we are the best and we survived the toughest activity out there, but it is to each his own.

It was said earlier that HMRS Staff training was the hardest thing someone had ever done. The point they were trying to make is that it is truly to each his own. At the time that I was at the activity, COS was the hardest thing I had ever done. The next year, I went to NBB. At that moment it was the hardest thing I had ever done. Both of them are equal in my mind as to the "level of difficulty", but for different reasons. They are also up there with studying for and taking my Spaatz. Every activity available to cadets challenges everyone in a different way, they are meant to.

Now that I have put my 2 cents (sense) in, I will sit back and continue with the regular programming.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

AngelWings

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 02, 2011, 04:25:48 AM
I usually just sit around and read through topics like this, and even though the question has been answered (somewhat) and debated, I am going to take a swing at it.

Nathan and NIN put it perfectly: everyone who attends their particular NCSA has their own view of "their" activity and others. I am a Blue Beret and a COS graduate. One of the reasons I haven't gone to other NSCAs is they aren't what I am interested in. Hawk seems cool (and to some the best) but I do not fancy myself as physically fit enough to endure the entire activity. And while I am interested in Honor Guard, I don't want to go to HGA, not because of the attitudes of those that have gone, but because I can read the manual and pretty much learn what I want at my own pace and don't have to pay the price of actually going to the activity. I know cadets who have gone to all above mentioned activities and more. In our minds, yes, we are the best and we survived the toughest activity out there, but it is to each his own.

It was said earlier that HMRS Staff training was the hardest thing someone had ever done. The point they were trying to make is that it is truly to each his own. At the time that I was at the activity, COS was the hardest thing I had ever done. The next year, I went to NBB. At that moment it was the hardest thing I had ever done. Both of them are equal in my mind as to the "level of difficulty", but for different reasons. They are also up there with studying for and taking my Spaatz. Every activity available to cadets challenges everyone in a different way, they are meant to.

Now that I have put my 2 cents (sense) in, I will sit back and continue with the regular programming.
Laaaaammee. Commercials in the middle of my programming? What is all this sense  :o? It is ruining the bickering and the argueing! C'mon with this, Eclipse and AirDale were in a nice bout about random CAPTalk topics. Eclipse had AirDale on the round, but AirDale was gettin right back up afer that hard blow.

Other thaan the top, I second what you just said.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 02, 2011, 04:25:48 AMIt was said earlier that HMRS Staff training was the hardest thing someone had ever done. The point they were trying to make is that it is truly to each his own. At the time that I was at the activity, COS was the hardest thing I had ever done. The next year, I went to NBB. At that moment it was the hardest thing I had ever done. Both of them are equal in my mind as to the "level of difficulty", but for different reasons. They are also up there with studying for and taking my Spaatz. Every activity available to cadets challenges everyone in a different way, they are meant to.

The "hardest thing you've ever done" doesn't make something the "hardest (and by implication most legit) thing in CAP".  Moving outside one's personal comfort zone is the point of CAP, even for Seniors, but the difference between "high adventure" and "operational readiness" seems to be lost on many people making these assertions.

Here's a thought - instead of having national adventure activities which stress training not usable in CAP, and then as an afterthought trying to squeeze that training into the CAP system, why not make the basis of the training the CAP system, either through prerequisite or initial training, and then move into the more advanced aspects of whatever your HAA wants to provide.

That way no one could call into question the baseline abilities of your participants.  As we have it today, HMRS provides a curriculum which essentially
deems CAP's curriculum as irrelevant, and only bothers to task and qualify members if they deem it important to ask.  Then these participants return
to their home squadrons with all sorts of "training", none or which is of any value to a mission until the generalized skills are re-tasked into CAP slots.

Done the other way, the argument could always be "we're first and foremost CAP responders, always ready for the call, with training above and
beyond the average member, our primary mission is to maintain readiness for CAP operations...".  This, of course, pre-supposes that anyone at HMRS actually perceives a problem with reputation, which does not appear to be the case, and until that happens, or changed is forced from above, status quo will remain.

And if it isn't implied, or hasn't already been explicitly stated here a dozen times, most of us literally and honestly don't care about HMRS.  The percentage of participants, especially West of Kentucky, is so small as to be statistically zero.  The only time it comes up is when we have to
deal with the fallout of their actions, either during a mission or back at their home unit, when their noise and attitude causes ripples
that far exceed their actual place in the framework.  You simply don't have those issues with NESA or CSS people, or any of the other
NCSA's for the most part.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

I never in a million years thought that the philosophy class I took for a general ed requirement would actually teach me something.
We have two different philosophies on epistemology here.
A priori knowledge is knowledge that is known independently of experience (that is, it is non-empirical, or arrived at beforehand, usually by reason) and A posteriori knowledge is knowledge that is known by experience (that is, it is empirical, or arrived at afterward).
See some folks on here "know" things even though they have never BTDT, (the A priori group) and those that have BTDT that have experienced things cant possibly understand how someone who has never BTDT can make a statement about something that they themselves have not done.
Then there are some folks on here are never wrong and you are never right, just ask them.  :)

DC

Even those with prior experience with Hawk Mountain are in no position to state that it is the 'the hardest in CAP' until they have experience with every single activity CAP has to offer. Since that is impossible, for all practical purposes, then the statement is invalid.

As far as I'm concerned, this entire endeavor is pointless, it doesn't matter which activity is the hardest. Each has a specific purpose and a target audience. Go to the activities you are interested in, not the ones that are 'hardest' because you want to show off.