Main Menu

Blue berets questions

Started by fightingfalcon, March 08, 2010, 02:55:43 AM

arajca

Quote from: NBB0058 on April 09, 2010, 03:49:53 PM
Quite frankly im disgusted with the treatment of the blue beret recipients, i mean according to regs, in the dres suniform there is no defining insignia of a blue beret, but theres always a way to tell the ground team, model rocketry, pilot,IACE<etc. people, i think its sad conssidering that the NBB encampment is one of the largest civilian interactions Civil Air Patrol has. Now of course i dont mean we dont do more search and rescue, etc. but for one activity, i dont believe there is a larger "audience" of civilians.
anyways, you all have heard my rant, please feel free to comment :)
Quite frankly, I'm disgusted with attitude many who attend NBB come back with. They tend not to play well with others who haven't been to NBB. They argue with commanders. They think they are special. They demand preferential treatment. In general, they're not worth the effort it takes to re-eduacte them and pop their ego bubbles. They're about the problem as Hawk Mountain folks.

Also, NBB is NOT an encampment. For several years the blue beret was NOT authorized nationally due to the above mentioned problems. It was only recently re-authorized for completing NBB, but the problems still exist. It has always been an option for wing commanders to authorize it for activities they see fit, which includes color guards (excluding NCGC teams).

As for only being authorized for the bdu and field uniforms, the AF needs to approve it for the service uniforms (and the bdu). IIRC, permission has been requested to wear it with the bdu, but I haven't seen anything that the AF has approved it.

N Harmon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 09, 2010, 04:31:24 PMNBB is a single activity - no different than any NCSA

>:(

National Blue Beret, while also a NCSA, is the only NCSA that is also an operational mission of Civil Air Patrol. And while that operational mission is unique and principally non-distress in nature, it does require a special set of skills not normally found among CAP ES operators and is an important part of the overall safety of EAA Oshkosh.

Say what you will about the poor attitudes of attendees and their overblown self-importance. Those are valid points to make. But when addressing those attitudes, please don't disrespect the activity and it's history. Okay?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

lordmonar

The blue beret is authorised for wear with the service dress.....

The National Board decision to allow the beret to be worn by NBB alumni in BDUs only is the only limiting factor.

Wing commanders can authorise the beret for "special teams" within their wings...there is no limit to which uniforms it may be authorised for.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

On second thought, there's no point to this discussion...

"That Others May Zoom"

NBB0058

with regards to the "poor attitudes" or attendees of NBB, i must admit that any NCSA warrants an overblown confidence and ego, because that cadet feels "special" amoung his squadron. i also do not want to hear about the "poor attitudes" of blue berets, in contrast with some of the pompous ass pilots and "ground team" members, im sorry but last time i checked there was not a reg that stated "all ground team members must be able to do atleast 100 consistent push ups, for protection" as i was soo told by one ground team members, out of anyone in CAP the berets are the ones who deserve the right to have "poor attitudes" for all the trash they take, the mere thrashing my comment has gotten in the past half hour should be evidence of this.

arajca

Quote from: NBB0058 on April 09, 2010, 05:06:15 PM
with regards to the "poor attitudes" or attendees of NBB, i must admit that any NCSA warrants an overblown confidence and ego, because that cadet feels "special" amoung his squadron.
Haven't this kind of issue except for NBB and HMS.

Quotei also do not want to hear about the "poor attitudes" of blue berets, in contrast with some of the pompous ass pilots and "ground team" members, im sorry but last time i checked there was not a reg that stated "all ground team members must be able to do atleast 100 consistent push ups, for protection" as i was soo told by one ground team members,
No one has said NBB and HMS have a lock on bad attitudes, however, they're the only ones who CONSISTANTLY have this attitude problem.

Quoteout of anyone in CAP the berets are the ones who deserve the right to have "poor attitudes" for all the trash they take, the mere thrashing my comment has gotten in the past half hour should be evidence of this.
No. They get trashed BECAUSE of their poor attitudes, not the other way around.

Cecil DP

When I was the MAWG DP, the Wing Commander would get requests for beret authorizations at least once a year. He would pass it on to me for comment and the reply would invariably be:

Too expensive
No protection from the sun, in fact it holds in the heat.
They smell funny and shrink when they get wet
Only real benefit is emergency TP, barf bag, or feminine hygiene product (1 time use only).
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

lordmonar

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 09, 2010, 10:16:51 PM
When I was the MAWG DP, the Wing Commander would get requests for beret authorizations at least once a year. He would pass it on to me for comment and the reply would invariably be:

Too expensive
Only real benefit is emergency TP, barf bag, or feminine hygiene product (1 time use only).

Those don't seem to be very good reasons not approve them IMHO.

1. Expense would be a factor in that the group wanting them would have already considered.
2. And a flight cap is better in what way?
3. Don't get them wet.
4. How about the benifit of esprit de corps of the special team.

Okay....YOU don't like them....I get that.....but the Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron Color Guard does.

Don't limit a tool because you yourself don't pefer it.

EMT-83

Quote from: NBB0058 on April 09, 2010, 03:49:53 PManyways, you all have heard my rant, please feel free to comment :)

Lost me somewhere in the first sentence. I have no clue what you're trying to say.

Fuzzy

Quote from: N Harmon on April 09, 2010, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 09, 2010, 04:31:24 PMNBB is a single activity - no different than any NCSA

National Blue Beret, while also a NCSA, is the only NCSA that is also an operational mission of Civil Air Patrol. And while that operational mission is unique and principally non-distress in nature, it does require a special set of skills not normally found among CAP ES operators and is an important part of the overall safety of EAA Oshkosh.

Say what you will about the poor attitudes of attendees and their overblown self-importance. Those are valid points to make. But when addressing those attitudes, please don't disrespect the activity and it's history. Okay?

NBB is just another NCSA.

SUPT-FC is the only activity where you spend a week in the shoes of USAF pilot in SUPT, but the cadets don't come home wearing flight helmets. Just a patch and an experience.

As an aside. Why the heck a beret anyway? Why name the activity after headgear? Why the "St Albans" cross as a flash? Its pretty random IMHO. Why not follow USAF example and have the flash be a metallic pin in the shape of the NBB logo?

C/Capt Semko

shorning

So let me get this straight...y'all are arguing about getting a hat for marshalling planes at an airshow?  Methinks you need to check your vector...

<-- NBB '87

arajca

Quote from: shorning on April 09, 2010, 11:57:47 PM
So let me get this straight...y'all are arguing about getting a hat for marshalling planes at an airshow?  Methinks you need to check your vector...

<-- NBB '87
Actually, many of us are arguing about the attitude and problems caused by the folks who get a hat for telling pilots where to go at an airshow...

While considered ugly by many, it's not the hat itself that is the problem.

NBB0058

Quote from: Fuzzy on April 09, 2010, 11:55:27 PM
Quote from: N Harmon on April 09, 2010, 04:57:36 PM

NBB is just another NCSA.

SUPT-FC is the only activity where you spend a week in the shoes of USAF pilot in SUPT, but the cadets don't come home wearing flight helmets. Just a patch and an experience.

As an aside. Why the heck a beret anyway? Why name the activity after headgear? Why the "St Albans" cross as a flash? Its pretty random IMHO. Why not follow USAF example and have the flash be a metallic pin in the shape of the NBB logo?

1. I have attended SUPT-FC,  you do not "spend the week in the shoes of an airforce pilot" you learn some of the things they learn, and walk around base acting like your hot [Filter Subversion] so maybe the attitude of a pilot, but not the activies
Also, the reason we wear the "st. Albans pin, is beacuse it is a sign of mercy and assistance, what we as blue berets represent

NBB0058

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 09, 2010, 10:16:51 PM

Too expensive

2. So what your sating is the beret is not easily visible, A. In the woods, B. anywhere else????
Im terribly sorry, but didn't the military use almost the same uniform as us to HIDE in the woods???
We are supposed to be "searching" for injured/crashed people, not HIDING from them, it makess more sense to me to wear a blue mushroom on your head with a LARGE GOLD AND BLUE REFLECTIVE DEVICE ON THE FRONT.
I mean correct me if I am wrong, but it just doesn't make much sense to wear a suubdued uniform when "assisting civilians"

Eclipse

Berets are inappropriate for, and not worn by the Army or USAF in, the field - they are for garrison wear only, but many of our beloved
members don't know or care about that.

"That Others May Zoom"

NBB0058

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2010, 02:32:13 AM
Berets are inappropriate for, and not worn by the Army or USAF in, the field - they are for garrison wear only, but many of our beloved

Umm, duh.... thats because were not the "Army or USAF"
Were C.A.P.

lordmonar

Quote from: NBB0058 on April 12, 2010, 02:35:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2010, 02:32:13 AM

Umm, duh.... thats because were not the "Army or USAF"
Were C.A.P.
It is also in correct.

Eclipse

AR 670-1 disagrees..

Soldiers will wear the beret with the utility and service (class A and B) uniforms in garrison environments, only. Soldiers will wear the patrol cap (formerly called the BDU cap) in the field when they are authorized to remove their Kevlar helmet.

"That Others May Zoom"

NBB0058

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2010, 02:54:15 AM
AR 670-1 disagrees..

Soldiers will wear the beret with the utility and service (class A and B) uniforms in garrison environments, only. Soldiers will wear the patrol cap (formerly called the BDU cap) in the field when they are authorized to remove their Kevlar helmet.

I am fully aware of what Army Regulation 670-1 states,
but that is just an "Army Regulation" it has nothing to do with the C.A.P.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2010, 02:54:15 AM
AR 670-1 disagrees..

I see you can read the regulation....but I guess the Army does not...because I see a lot of them wearing them "in the field"....at least what I would consider "In the field" for CAP's purposes.