Tips and Advice for an Encampment Flight Sergeant

Started by AACS Cadet21, April 30, 2014, 05:46:09 PM

AACS Cadet21

So I'm going to be a Flight Sergeant this year at encampment and I'd like some advice on, well, everything. I've been a flight sergeant before, just not at encampment.

Eclipse

The duties are essentially the same, except with a larger scope, cadets you probably don't know, and
much closer to the textbook definition of an FS.

You should ask these questions up the encampment chain to get a handle on the expectations.
Some encampments assign FS' projects to help with planning and preparation.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Your flight commander should have already been talking to you about it. I suggest you contact him/her, if for no other reason than to introduce yourself.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: arajca on April 30, 2014, 06:07:56 PM
Your flight commander should have already been talking to you about it. I suggest you contact him/her, if for no other reason than to introduce yourself.

The other staff from the encampment have not been announced, so I don't know who I'll be working with. But I get what you're saying, and I will.

lordmonar

Make sure your cadets are where they need to be, when they need to be there.

Make sure you use your time wisely to meet all your training objectives.

Make sure you have a few lesson plans on hand to use when you suddenly find you got some down time.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ALH

Volume alone does not constitute command presence.

When I was a TAC-type,  I saw my cadet staff perform their first inspection. At first, I had to keep from laughing. They game planned how loudly they were going to stomp, how loud they were going to be, and the path on which each would circle the barracks when entering in their rage. How did I know this? Another cadet staff member told me as I turned the corner and walked into this clown show going on. At no point, did it seem, did they plan on feedback method, criteria for successful and unsuccessful inspection, and a myriad of things that I would have thought much more important. All shock 'n awe. By this day, Day 2, the flight staff were already hoarse yet still aiming for that FMJ edge. Did even one of those basics understand any of the feedback they got? I sure couldn't, being just a few feet away.

Now, was the purpose of that inspection actual feedback? I had cadets (and seniors) tell me that it absolutely was not. The purpose was to keep the intensity up and give a sense of urgency for their stay. I can buy that. But when the next two inspections are identical in a seven day encampment? Nah. That's a systematic failure, especially when the same qualities reflect through the rest of the operation. I told my flight sergeant this--

Cadets who have been there and done that can receive direction and instruction in an "analog" way; flowing constant. Those cadets have had a moment to orient themselves, get their bounds marked, and really understand what their purpose is - it pays big to know what you're walking into. Volume to them can be filtered.

New cadets need "digital"; little bytes at a time. Obtuse and consistent volume simply saturates them, making them unable to see the tidbits they should be catching and the parts they should let pass. They need a stop and start to the instructions, feedback, and direction. Too much at once and they can't keep up. Not enough and they lose their purpose. Stronger cadets (whom I've found to not always be the biggest or oldest) can handle more packets thrown their way than others.

You got me soapboxing. My bad. 

Stress them? Yes. Insist on purpose of movement (hurry up!), accuracy (the right way!), and obedience (follow commands!). But constant screaming doesn't help that cause.

As a CAP cadet, ROTC cadet, and now active duty officer, I always use two voices - my regular voice and my Officer Voice. The former is what I'd be reading this outloud in and whatnot. It doesn't show me to be directing, angry, or anything other than just another guy on the street at the moment. I would challenge you to develop your "Officer Voice". This is where the tone, not volume, conveys the control and direction. Its the kind where you stand a little straighter, dictate your words clearly, and make your presence known. If volume is your goal, concentrate on speaking through the individual and to the person behind them, no bellowing as loud as possible. Indoors, outdoors, grouped, separate - I've always found it a good rule. Maybe that's because I'm a soft speaker naturally. FWIW.

Sorry, but the entire "scream until hoarse" thing might be 'good' for a day or so, but when its your only gig, you're hamstringing yourself, your cadets, and their development.

Panache

Quote from: ALH on May 01, 2014, 06:14:54 AM
Sorry, but the entire "scream until hoarse" thing might be 'good' for a day or so, but when its your only gig, you're hamstringing yourself, your cadets, and their development.

Well said!   :clap:

A copy of this should be handed out to every new cadet NCO and officer upon arrival to encampment.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Panache on May 01, 2014, 06:54:04 AM
Quote from: ALH on May 01, 2014, 06:14:54 AM

Well said!   :clap:

A copy of this should be handed out to every new cadet NCO and officer upon arrival to encampment.

No kidding! My flight staff lost their vioces a total of 5 times during the week.  ;D

arajca

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on May 01, 2014, 12:45:25 AM

The other staff from the encampment have not been announced, so I don't know who I'll be working with. But I get what you're saying, and I will.
Presuming your talking about the COWG encampment, check the encampment webpage. The entire cadet staff is listed, from the cadet commander down to the flight sergeants and support staff airmen.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: arajca on May 01, 2014, 03:48:02 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on May 01, 2014, 12:45:25 AM

Presuming your talking about the COWG encampment, check the encampment webpage. The entire cadet staff is listed, from the cadet commander down to the flight sergeants and support staff airmen.

I know it is, I'm on staff for COWG too; but I'm talking about WYWG.

arajca

I suggest you specify which encampment you have questions about. Since your in COWG, it's a reasonable presumption your talking about the COWG encampment, unless otherwise specified.

Danger

Get ready to handle the flight completely by yourself. Yes, your FC will be with you, but be ready to work independently. I didn't prepare for that as much as I could have, and it bit me in the back a little bit at encampment. Have topics ready to "teach" when your flight has extra time, make sure they're drinking water, get your command voice.

Also, know when to tone down and talk to your people. Consistently trying to be that power figure will discredit you if your intensity is up there for flight time. Moreso, humanize yourself towards the end of encampment. You're part of the flight team, so make sure you're doing your best to help them succeed, and becoming more of a person towards the end will help them transition from "encampment mode" back to "squadron mode" so they can be productive cadets. Believe it or not, there is more to CAP than hitting the wall and shouting a greeting when an officer walks down the hall.

I'm obviously biased, but Flight Sergeant is the best staff position at encampment. You only have one shot so make it count. Good luck!

(I also forgot PT and Drill, seriously you need to have that nailed down.)
"Never take anything too seriously."