Honor Guard Academy 2013?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, December 05, 2012, 06:11:32 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: spaatzmom on December 06, 2012, 01:36:09 AMI was speaking from my experience with NHGA, where you have a majority of new SA's each year and their understanding of the academy and its budget is, shall we say lacking? 

The assumptions some cadets make about the way CAP is funded are at the same time humorous and unfortunate - sometimes egged on by parents who
understand even less about how CAP works.

"That Others May Zoom"

spaatzmom

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2012, 01:33:19 AM
The one issue with "transparency" is being transparent.

Then people like me ask why, on earth, an activity would supply 6 shirts, the assumption these are uniform shirts.  That's got to add $100+ dollars to the fees.  It would literally be less expensive just to send the same shirt to the local cleaners every day.

No growing CAP cadet is going to be able to use 6 dress shirts before they grow out of them.  At the rate a lot of cadets wear their blues, 6 shirts is a years worth of uniforms without a wash.

I also have to throw the flag an any VG conspiracies, except to say that if the activity isn't doing lowest-price sourcing because of confusion over a non-existent VG exclusivity, and that raises the cost to the cadets, that is a problem.

The shirts in question were not dress shirts but t shirts and shorts.  When I was there, we did do lowest cost purchases.  VG does not have a strangle hold on the ascot, glove, t shirt, cord or any other equipment needed market since they are not an exclusive CAP item.  Many other organizations use the same things.  I can see how the latest director could have been nudged into the idea though as she was not one to push back.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2012, 01:39:16 AM
Quote from: spaatzmom on December 06, 2012, 01:36:09 AMI was speaking from my experience with NHGA, where you have a majority of new SA's each year and their understanding of the academy and its budget is, shall we say lacking? 

The assumptions some cadets make about the way CAP is funded are at the same time humorous and unfortunate - sometimes egged on by parents who
understand even less about how CAP works.

True

Eclipse

Quote from: spaatzmom on December 06, 2012, 01:43:36 AMThe shirts in question were not dress shirts but t shirts and shorts.  When I was there, we did do lowest cost purchases.  VG does not have a strangle hold on the ascot, glove, t shirt, cord or any other equipment needed market since they are not an exclusive CAP item.  Many other organizations use the same things.  I can see how the latest director could have been nudged into the idea though as she was not one to push back.

Ah - makes more sense.  Yes, there's a lot of people who simply accept the "first answer" they get in CAP, regardless of whether it's the "best answer".
I make a point to tell anyone who will listen always ask the "second question", and have the "third question" ready.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

..doesn't push back, or seemingly push enough to save the program. A director of nothing, perhaps, now?

spaatzmom

Quote from: a2capt on December 06, 2012, 02:25:35 AM
..doesn't push back, or seemingly push enough to save the program. A director of nothing, perhaps, now?

Yup.  No program this year anyway.  The original director is naturally upset, she gave so much of her life to it to have it go up in smoke like this.

COL Land

The U.S. Army Cadet Corps could host this event at Forest Hill Station in Millersburg, KY (12 hours from 80% of the U.S. population) for a much more reasonable rate.  If there is interest, have someone contact me at joseph.m.landsr@armycadets.org.   
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Майор Хаткевич

Well look at that. Congrats on the new post colonel.

HGjunkie

This came up on my facebook feed, and thought it was interesting:
QuoteCALLING ON EVERYONE TO SUPPORT HONOR GUARD ACADEMY (HGA) - As you may have notice HGA is not listed as a National event. The complaint from National is that HGA is too expensive. The college has not increased their price in 3 years. This year they asked for 10 bucks more per week to cover the rising cost of food. Who wouldn't be willing to pay that?? Please have your parents contact National in support of this "priceless" program. Really, where else can you have room and board for 2 weeks, unlimited delicious food 3 times a day, transportation to and from the airport, actual classrooms on a college campus with large enough venues for training and ceremonies, actual AFHG graduates training you and much, much more for a two week activity ($500)? HGA members will be meeting with HGA staff next week as they try looking for other options because none of us want to see HGA go away or leave our cadets from HGA without a way to complete their graduation. Thank you in advance for your support it is greatly appreciated!

Contact information: CAP NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS CONTACT INFORMATION
CAP National Headquarters
105 South Hansell Street
Bldg. 714
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6332
877-227-9142

If this is true, that's more money for HGA than $500. And if it's $10/week/person, quick math shows $20*120, an extra $2400 for the activity to pay for food.

It is too expensive.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

..and who posted that, and having people just call NHQ is probably going to tick them off more than anything. At least calling aimlessly.

If someone is directing it towards a specific contact, that's one thing.

HGjunkie

It's from my Group's CAC facebook.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

https://www.facebook.com/Group3CAC

That should redefine lead balloon.

Also, putting "priceless" in quotes actually means it isn't.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Oh yeah, a bunch of phone calls from poorly informed parents will make a heck of an impression on the CP staff at NHQ. Maybe they could even put a skit on You Tube! ::) It is a done deal as far as a NCSA this year, get over it. It is stuff like this that makes it hard for CACs to have any credibility.

Extremepredjudice

Who thunked this one up? IMHO, they should get a reprimand.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

HGjunkie

Well there's also a facebook group now!
<sarcasm>This is a greaat idea</sarcasm>
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Danger

NOOOOOOO :'(  :'( This was the #1 NCSA I was looking forward to applying for.. Here I come Civil Engineering Fam Course and Blue Beret. 8)
"Never take anything too seriously."

the chief

I am one of the cadets that started a facebook group to save HGA....I do not have a problem with parents/cadets contacting National if they are willing to help solve the problem. My parents are willing to pay more for the activity, and donate to help with costs...I also can donate $200.   If money is the only thing blocking this activity maybe we can get it back if we can raise some money to help with the associated costs.
I suggest contacting National to let them know there are cadets that want HGA and want to help find a way to keep it going.
I do not support calling just to complain.

One of my favorite quotes-

Be the change you wish to see in the world~Mahatma Gandi

Offutteer

Quote from: the chief on December 07, 2012, 08:15:02 AM
I am one of the cadets that started a facebook group to save HGA....I do not have a problem with parents/cadets contacting National if they are willing to help solve the problem. My parents are willing to pay more for the activity, and donate to help with costs...I also can donate $200.   If money is the only thing blocking this activity maybe we can get it back if we can raise some money to help with the associated costs.
I suggest contacting National to let them know there are cadets that want HGA and want to help find a way to keep it going.
I do not support calling just to complain.

One of my favorite quotes-

Be the change you wish to see in the world~Mahatma Gandi

However, the message that was put out on that page doesn't offer real information about HOW to deal with the issue.  It does ask people call aimlessly and complain.  It doesn't offer an avenue to compile peoples' thoughts on the issue and then present them, with the respect that NHA teaches, through the proper channels.  Rather than a knee-jerk reaction of "calling NHQ", you should take the time to thoughtfully prepare a plan that could be successful.  We ask cadets to take on challenges, so make this a challenge, rather than complaint.

Майор Хаткевич

Make the activity $700, and bring your own gear as prescribed. Done.

Pylon

Sounds so easy from the armchair general's chair or when you use trite motivational quotes out of context.  It's also really easy to want to characterize this situation as some sort of "us" versus "them" (surely there are evil people at NHQ hellbent on ending HGA for no good reason.... but they might be persuaded by a bunch of generic phone calls to stop being so evil)   In reality, I'm sure nobody at NHQ is sitting behind a desk thinking of nefarious ways they can mess with NCSA's.  In fact the Cadet Programs staff at NHQ is incredibly dedicated and passionate about cadet programs.  I'm sure they would be doing all they could to keep an activity running and I sincerely doubt the issue is as simple as it's being characterized here.

The NCSA application process is already underway for 2013, so it's too late to work it into the mix this year anyway.  You cannot "save HGA" for 2013.  "Being the change you want in the world" also means understanding what you do and do not have control over and what you do and do not have the ability to change.  Holding HGA as an NCSA in 2013 is already beyond the point in time of being possible; it cannot happen this year; accept that.  Redirect your passion to something productive.  Focus your efforts on future years of HGA NCSA, or building a local (Group, Wing, Region) HGA, or anything else that actually has the capacity to have a positive outcome.   

Also, complaining on Facebook instead of asking your chain of command for additional details and then accepting the answer only makes your group look immature.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP