Main Menu

Wooly-Pully Nametag

Started by Pylon, February 09, 2005, 07:25:09 AM

Pylon

This past August the then-National Commander issued the notice regarding the wear of the USAF silver nameplate with service dress, in order to bring us closer with our parent organization.  The USAF also wears this same nameplate now on the wooly-pully (the blue, wool, AF pullover sweater). 

Do you think that the lack of inclusion of nameplate wear for the sweater was intentional or simply an oversight? 

It wouldn't seem to serve much purpose to allow the wear of it on the service dress, just like the USAF, but then to disallow it on the wool sweater.  It follows in the same logic that if it were good to have it for the service coat, then it would be just as good for the sweater, n'est-ce pas?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Greg

My guess would be that it was simply an oversight.  NHQ really does a great job whenever CAPM 39-1 needs to be updated and/or changed, so I'm sure they'll fix it promptly.  ::) ::) ::)
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

CAPSGT

I would agree that it was probably an oversight.  While a large portion of the CAP population does wear service dress, and more specifically the service coat, not a large portion of the membership actually wears the pullover sweater.

It probably also comes down to what the membership had been asking for.  No more nametags on the service coat was a big change for everyone.  It was noticeable.  Prior to the new satin brushed nametags, a nametag was never worn on the AF style pullover sweater, so nobody noticed the difference.  I don't particularly mind it personally, if I'm wearing the pullover sweater, odds are I'm at my squadron or some other wing event where everybody already knows my name.  If I'm going to a larger scale event (National Board meeting, Region Conference, Legislative day, etc.) I'm probably wearing my service coat.  In that situation, people don't know my name, and I don't tend to know theirs, so the nametag is definately an asset in that situation.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Pylon

Hmm... Very good points, Mike, about the general way in which the service dress and sweater are worn.

Granted, the nameplate on the sweater isn't usually necessary, but if we're trying to meld with the USAF on usage of the nameplate we might as well adopt it.  It may not help anything in most situations, but it would make our look between USAF and CAP a bit more uniform and it couldn't hurt I'd imagine.

I wonder how the NB/NEC would take a well-prepared proposal that suggests adding the nameplate wear to the wooly-pully?

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on February 09, 2005, 07:25:09 AM
Do you think that the lack of inclusion of nameplate wear for the sweater was intentional or simply an oversight? 

I suspect it was an oversight... I would think that the USAF would address it in it's review of the next edition of CAPM 39-1 since the wear of the nametag on the pullover is an existing USAF policy.

CAP and the USAF also need to address the wear of specialty badges in relation to nametag on the service dress given current USAF policy for similar badges.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKECAP and the USAF also need to address the wear of specialty badges in relation to nametag on the service dress given current USAF policy for similar badges.

True, they do need to address that.  However, they could have avoided the entire problem if CAP had gone with over-the-pocket specialty devices, closer to what the USAF has for job badges.

Right now we're half split between above the pocket and below the pocket badges for different types of qualifications.   ::)

MIKE

Since it is somewhat relevant to the topic at hand:

QuoteDec. 8, 2003 Release No. 095
Air Force announces wear guidance for new nametag

AIR FORCE PERSONNEL CENTER -- The Air Force has established both the mandatory wear date and proper wear for the new metallic nametag on service dress uniforms.

According to personnel officials, effective Jan. 1, the nametag must be worn on the wearer's right side of the service dress jacket with the bottom of the nametag level with the bottom of the ribbons. It should be centered between the sleeve seam and the lapel.

If a duty badge is worn on the wearer's right side of the service dress jacket, men will center the badge a half-inch below the new nametag; women will center the badge a half-inch above the new nametag. An exception is when a command insignia is worn by either men or women, then the command insignia is worn either a half-inch above or below the nametag and the duty badge is worn either a half-inch above or below the command insignia, depending on whether the individual is a current or former commander.

When the maternity jumper is worn as the maternity service dress, the nametag should be centered on the right side and placed even to, or 1 1/2 inches higher or lower than, the first exposed button.

The nametag will also be worn on all pullover sweaters on the wearer's right side with the bottom of the nametag level centered between the middle of the sleeve seam and the seam of the neckline. It will not be worn on the cardigan sweater.

For more information, Air Force members should contact the military personnel flight or commanders support staff.

Note the position of the "duty badge" which would seem to be worn in a similar manner to the existing CAP specialty insignia... COMM and CP as an example... Also note how the "duty badge" is worn in relation to the "command insignia".
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Greg on February 09, 2005, 01:54:21 PM
My guess would be that it was simply an oversight.  NHQ really does a great job whenever CAPM 39-1 needs to be updated and/or changed, so I'm sure they'll fix it promptly.  ::) ::) ::)

Yes.  Expedient process will be applied to updating and publishing this oversight.  Look for an announcement to this effect around January...2012.  ;D
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Major_Chuck

I would hope that we don't go to the silver name badge on the sweater.  It is just another $8.00 (or higher) expense that we would have to soak up. 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Pylon

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 22, 2005, 05:18:33 AM
I would hope that we don't go to the silver name badge on the sweater.  It is just another $8.00 (or higher) expense that we would have to soak up. 

Well, since pretty much every Senior Member (who I know) who wears blues has a Service Coat, it would mean that they'd have the nameplate already.  For Senior's who wear the corporate uniforms (i/e: Aviator Greys & Blazer combo), it's not a concern because they wouldn't be wearing the blue sweater anyways.

I agree that costs for uniforms is quite steep and we should avoid adding any unnecessary costs, but there's not many to whom I think that this change would cost extra.  The $6-8 cost of the nameplate for this change would only apply to the fringe of CAP Senior Members who choose to wear blues, don't have a service coat, and own the sweater.

Major_Chuck

True.  But I have both the service jacket and the sweater.  I get annoyed at having to switch uniform items back and forth. 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

arajca

Quote from: MIKE on February 15, 2005, 10:42:07 PM
Note the position of the "duty badge" which would seem to be worn in a similar manner to the existing CAP specialty insignia... COMM and CP as an example... Also note how the "duty badge" is worn in relation to the "command insignia".

Actually, the Comm, CP, ES, etc are specialty badges. Legal, EMT, GT, etc are specialty insignia.

If you really want to make a change - or heaven forbid - a clarification to the uniform regs, write it up and send through channels. I have to hold back for a while - the 18 changes I sent in haven't been voted upon yet. ;D

MIKE

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 22, 2005, 12:11:13 PM
True.  But I have both the service jacket and the sweater.  I get annoyed at having to switch uniform items back and forth. 

I got mine for $6.25 each from www.1800nametape.com. I already bought two just in case I scratch one.

Quote from: arajca on February 22, 2005, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: MIKE on February 15, 2005, 10:42:07 PM

Actually, the Comm, CP, ES, etc are specialty badges. Legal, EMT, GT, etc are specialty insignia.

If you really want to make a change - or heaven forbid - a clarification to the uniform regs, write it up and send through channels. I have to hold back for a while - the 18 changes I sent in haven't been voted upon yet. ;D

Those two terms are too easy to confuse without having the manual open when you post... Must send in a proposal to have that changed.  :D

I'm assuming that the USAF will clarify "Specialty Badge" placement for us since there is a current USAF policy on the subject for USAF duty badges. (See my above post.)  If they don't then I might send in a proposal to clarify the manual which would be in line with USAF policy.
Mike Johnston