Main Menu

What's your nickname in CAP

Started by CLB, November 05, 2006, 07:18:33 AM

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 09, 2006, 06:51:03 PM... and being the squadron's newest-rated observer, JAFO. (Just another (censored) observer.)  ;D

What is there to censor? "F" = "Fantastic"  ;)

A.Member

Quote from: CLB on November 05, 2006, 07:18:33 AM
Gist of the thread, post up what your Squadron Mates refer to you as.  Kind of like "Maverick" or "Goose" type of thing. 
CAP "nicknames" - like fighter pilot names?  Are you serious?  No offense but that seems kind of silly.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Hawk200

Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 04:15:30 PM
Gist of the thread, post up what your Squadron Mates refer to you as.  Kind of like "Maverick" or "Goose" type of thing. 
CAP "nicknames" - like fighter pilot names?  Are you serious?  No offense but that seems kind of silly.

They're all meant in fun. If it seems silly, you're probably taking it to seriously.

Pylon

Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 04:15:30 PM

Fighter pilots aren't the only people in the world that have nicknames.  People in organizations of all sorts do.  It has a lot more to do with camaraderie and unit cohesion than wanting to look like a fighter jock.

My nickname Pylon has been around since I was a C/A1C at my first encampment some years ago.  Long story, but it's stuck.  Most people don't use it verbally -- it's just been handy as a screenname and moniker.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on November 10, 2006, 09:17:46 PM
Fighter pilots aren't the only people in the world that have nicknames.  People in organizations of all sorts do.  It has a lot more to do with camaraderie and unit cohesion than wanting to look like a fighter jock.

... Most people don't use it verbally -- it's just been handy as a screenname and moniker.
Understood if that's the case.  I guess I misread the original post to be a bunch of "wannabes" sitting around a squadron saying:

"Hey, Mav, can you give me a hand with this here widget?" 
"Sure thing Goose!"

No good.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pylon

Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 10:35:06 PM
Understood if that's the case.  I guess I misread the original post to be a bunch of "wannabes" sitting around a squadron saying:

"Sure thing Goose!"

No good.

Haha, yeah.  The image conjures up CAP observer wings on a leather name patch with JOHN "GOOSE" SMITH, 2LT, USAF AUX on it, along with oversized aviator sunglasses.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Psicorp

Quote from: Pylon on November 10, 2006, 10:41:06 PM
Quote from: A.Member on November 10, 2006, 10:35:06 PM

"Sure thing Goose!"

No good.

Haha, yeah.  The image conjures up CAP observer wings on a leather name patch with JOHN "GOOSE" SMITH, 2LT, USAF AUX on it, along with oversized aviator sunglasses.  ;)

*snicker*  That's where the use of the "JAFO" hat comes into play. (yeah, I saw "Blue Thunder" too)
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

SarDragon

JAFO = Just Another Friendly Observer!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Psicorp

Quote from: SarDragon on November 11, 2006, 08:32:50 AM

Exactly, of course that's what we meant...no vulgarity here, honest....we're all pure as the driven on snow. ;)
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Hawk200

Quote from: Psicorp on November 12, 2006, 04:43:03 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 11, 2006, 08:32:50 AM

Exactly, of course that's what we meant...no vulgarity here, honest....we're all pure as the driven on snow. ;)

I remember Alaska. After a while the snow got brown and dirty.  ;D

SJFedor

Slider.

Yes, it's corny and Top Gun rip-offish, but there's a good story as to why it fits.

When I was taking lessons towards my PPASEL, I had spent most of my time in one C-172 aircraft. However, while doing my cross country flights, I got switched to another C-172. This one had a little more touchy brakes then I was used to. I was instructed to perform a short field landing, wherein you come in, get it on the ground, and get it stopped in a hurry. Long story short, I put it down, and got on the brakes like I used to in the other 172. This one's brakes were tighter.

I think you can still see the two skidmarks going down runway 5 at KDYL for the first 400 feet or so.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CAP428

My nickname for a while was "West Point" because of my choice of goals.  That, however, has changed so I'm no longer known as such.  :)

TankerT

Would you believe my nickname is TankerT?

/I have others...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here