Got this SCAM in e-mail today...check it out!!!

Started by Major Carrales, July 20, 2007, 07:02:51 PM

Major Carrales

Sad commentary indeed that people are trying to dishonor the troops with this scam mentioned below.  I forward these to the Better Business Bureau Rep in Corpus Christi...I wonder if anyone ever tries/falls for these?

QuoteFrom: sgtthomas07
To:
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 11:55:53 AM
Subject: Hello Pal

Hello Pal,

I hope my email meets you well. I am in need of your assistance. My
Name is Sgt Clement Thomas. I am a military attached with the
Engineering Unit here in Ba'qubah Iraq for the united states , we have about $25
Million dollars that we want to move out of the country.

My partners and I need a good partner someone we can trust to actualize

This venture. The money is from oil proceeds and legal. But we are
moving it through diplomatic means to your house directly or a safe and
Secured location of your choice using diplomatic courier services.

But can we trust you? Once the funds get to you, you take your 40% out
And keep our own 60%. Your own part of this deal is to find a safe
Place where the funds can be sent to. Our own part is sending it to
You

If you are interested I will furnish you with more details,

Awaiting your urgent response
Email:
Your Buddy.
Sgt Clement Thomas
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Smokey

My spam filter caught that same one a while back.   

What is sad is some GREEDY person (the only ones dumb enough to fall for this version of the Nigerion money scam...which is actually a version of the old pigeon drop) will bite on this and then when they loose a ton of money will blame the "corrupt military". 

Note:  Not that I in any way think the military is corrupt.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

ColonelJack

Sadly, Sparky, yes.  People do fall for them.  One of my best friends here in Georgia continues to fall for them.

I've related his trouble on my blog -- he got burned by a fellow in Ivory Coast who sent him bogus money orders to cash and send back 90%.  My friend now owes his bank over five grand.  That wasn't enough, though -- he also got caught up in a Russian scam, and just recently was sent two checks from overseas, eerily similar to the first scam.  He deposited them at another bank (one where my daughter works) and she put a "hard hold" on the checks until they cleared.  Even if my friend wasn't listening to me and waiting, he couldn't have obtained the funds.

Good thing, too.  The checks were fake.

And yet, after all this, he is still responding to these e-mails.  He says he believes these people are honest.  I wonder how much more of his money he's going to throw away before waking up.

It makes me sad.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

pixelwonk

Why would the BBB give a rat's behind about email scams?  They exist to help consumers resolve issues with businesses.

If you can't simply disregard scam emails, at least seek out the right organization.

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on July 20, 2007, 07:18:01 PM
Why would the BBB give a rat's behind about email scams?  They exist to help consumers resolve issues with businesses.

If you can't simply disregard scam emails, at least seek out the right organization.

The BBB representative in Corpus Christi offers classes in how to avoid and deal with identity theft and these scams.  He is a regular radio guest that debunks this sort of nonsense.  The reasoning is that older folks have been falling prey to this and, maybe as an amendum to the BBB mission, works to insure that the consumer isn't taken for a ride.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

I think the FBI has a scam reporting line just for these "Nigerian Letters" (so named because so many seem to come from there).  You might want to reply that you have forwarded the email to the Army IG.  That ought to shut them down...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Smokey

The only way these scams work is the victim has to want something for nothing.  There is no such thing as a free lunch and folks aren't giving money away to strangers whose e-mail address they find.

If you don't think there is a quick buck in it for you, you won't fall for the scam.

Example...I handled a complaint from a woman who said a courier approached her on the street looking for a dentist office at an address...no such address...he said he was to deliver two "dental quality gold" ingots....1 oz. each to the dentist at that location. He said since there was no such address he would sell her the gold noting that it was "special dental gold---better than pure gold" for only $5,000.00. He said the gold was worth $10,000.00. Mind you this was for 2 ounces.  He said the dentist already paid for the gold so he would get $5,000.00 and she would get $10,000.00 worth of gold. Gold was selling for about $400.00 an ounce at the time.  She figured it was a good deal. Gave him $5 grand and she got two one ounce bronze ingots. Worth maybe a buck or two.

pixelwonk

Heh...

Quote from: Better Business Bureau6/18/07     

Beware! The BBB name continues to be used in "phishing" scams. Fraudulent emails containing malicious links and viruses have been sent to businesses and consumers around the country claiming to contain information on a complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau. None of the BBB's computer and email systems are involved in this hoax. The BBB and authorities are working together to stop these continued attacks.
THE EMAIL YOU RECEIVED MAY BE FRAUDULENT IF:

* The email reply address is fake, like those listed below. (Please note: the phishers are constantly changing their tactics but so far they have been using addresses similar to these.)
          o complaints@bbb.org
          o operations@bbb.org
          o consumer-complaints@bbb.org
          o complains-serv@bbb.org
          o compl-srv@bbb.org
          o complntscentercase@bbb.org
          o fraud@bbb.org

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on July 20, 2007, 08:32:34 PM
Heh...

Quote from: Better Business Bureau6/18/07     

Beware! The BBB name continues to be used in "phishing" scams. Fraudulent emails containing malicious links and viruses have been sent to businesses and consumers around the country claiming to contain information on a complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau. None of the BBB's computer and email systems are involved in this hoax. The BBB and authorities are working together to stop these continued attacks.
THE EMAIL YOU RECEIVED MAY BE FRAUDULENT IF:

* The email reply address is fake, like those listed below. (Please note: the phishers are constantly changing their tactics but so far they have been using addresses similar to these.)
          o complaints@bbb.org
          o operations@bbb.org
          o consumer-complaints@bbb.org
          o complains-serv@bbb.org
          o compl-srv@bbb.org
          o complntscentercase@bbb.org
          o fraud@bbb.org

I personally know the rep from Corpus Christi ...he is aware of the scams and is fighting them.

Why is this so personal to you?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Lancer

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 20, 2007, 08:39:17 PM
I personally know the rep from Corpus Christi ...he is aware of the scams and is fighting them.

Why is this so personal to you?

Maybe because he gave you and others, a better source for taking your complaints to regarding e-grifter scams such a this and you 'duh-fiantly' throw up your 'because I know a guy on the radio' line as your reasoning for continuing to use the BBB.

How's that for a reason?

Smokey

OK Folks...no need for this to start to deteriorate.   Let's all play nice please.

pixelwonk

Personal? No.
By your initial post, I'd say that you take these emails more seriously than others, and I think it's funny that you forward them to the BBB.  I bet they have a big circular file to put them in.

Major Carrales

Good God, you people.

I'm sorry...I didn't know that this was going to turn into a "jump on Sparky" session.  I pointed out that I got an e-mail scam, told you were I forwarded it to and expected persons to "at least be on my side" on fighting internet scams.  I also asked if anyone ever fell for them...one person pointed out yes and expressed the dangers of these scams now involving a "US Military slant."

Instead I got several replies that were less than cordial.

I was offended by the idea presented by the scam and posted it here to insure that we were aware of it...and maybe to insure other around us that are "less savvy" don't fall for this.

Sorry you wasted your time replying.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

Sorry you feel our replies were a waste of time.
I'm glad I could offer a more logical place to forward your scam emails to.  Hope it helps.

FWIW, I believe most people who are savvy enough to find and post here on CAP Talk are equally savvy enough to disregard emails that promise something for nothing.

Although, I've been wrong before.

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on July 20, 2007, 10:02:43 PM
Sorry you feel our replies were a waste of time.
I'm glad I could offer a more logical place to forward your scam emails to.  Hope it helps.

FWIW, I believe most people who are savvy enough to find and post here on CAP Talk are equally savvy enough to disregard emails that promise something for nothing.

Although, I've been wrong before.

Don't worry 'bout it.  Your post was helpful.  In anycase...the post was made as a public service by me...likely out of indignation that such a scam exists.

I rather expected you guys to agree it was dispicable instead of knocking by descision to forward it to the BBB...which in our area has solicited such material.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SARMedTech

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 20, 2007, 07:48:43 PM
Quote from: tedda on July 20, 2007, 07:18:01 PM

The BBB representative in Corpus Christi offers classes in how to avoid and deal with identity theft and these scams.  He is a regular radio guest that debunks this sort of nonsense.  The reasoning is that older folks have been falling prey to this and, maybe as an amendum to the BBB mission, works to insure that the consumer isn't taken for a ride.

The one problem, Major, is that business pay for membership in the BBB. It isnt mandatory, they can perform binding arbitration and most times if they pass on a complaint to a business from a consumer, nobody from that business returns their call. I worked as a diamond retailer during college and the diamond cutter i worked for was not only a member of the BBB in my hometown, he was on its board of directors. Conflict of interest much? I can understand your outrage and once again I see your intentions as good and honorable, but the BBB has no real teeth. The better thing which I have done is report it to the Corpus Christi PDs Internet Crimes Division if they have one. Not all departments do, though after the To Catch a Predator craze...lots of departments are setting them up.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."